Minors hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Minors hurlers 2022

Post by Fairplayalways »

fifitrixiebelle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:15 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 pm Shaking his head doesn’t mean he made the right decision, it further embeds how poor of a decision it was that he seen it and didn’t award the free.
maybe the worst decision was the No 6 jumping up on the Tipp subs back seconds later
Shaking the head might not mean its right decision but it is an indication of what he thought at the time, rightly or wrongly..jumping up on the number 6s back I suppose is more sporting than throwing a hurl at him I suppose..

Herewego
Junior C

Post by Herewego »

Lone Shark wrote - On that, the referee called it correctly. The rule about denying a clear goalscoring opportunity only applies at senior intercounty level, so Shane Glynn couldn't have applied any heavier sanction than he did - free in, and straight red card.

You could argue that the punishment should be more severe, because Tipperary definitely benefited from the foul - in part because the keeper had closed down the space before Cathal got his bearings, and in part because the referee very clearly did that referee thing of favouring the team with 14 men from then on, but on this particular call, he got it right.

Ls thats grand thanks, was confused as to whether it applied to minor level.

At the time i really thought the ref did us in big time but on reflection he got less wrong than i thought. Still he favoured the team with 14 players but its all part and parcel of the game unfortunately. We need to look at ourselves also (only scored 6 points in the second half).

But what a year and its generally conceded we had the best minor team in 2022, would have took that at the start of the year.

Time to move on and more importanty to build on it.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

This is what is so infuriating about the GAA rules. Why is it less serious to illegally deny a goalscoring opportunity at underage level?

I agree that it's time to move on and build on what we achieved this year. Scapegoating the referee, while understandable in the cruel circumstances of the defeat, will not serve these young hurlers going forward. There's a need to learn from what happened that was within the control of the team, and maybe management too. Scoring only six points in the second half and conceding 1-5 in the closing minutes will not win you most games. This is not to apportion blame but rather to learn valuable lessons that will build on the huge achievements of this team as they progress to Under 20 and beyond.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Anyone know what's coming after this minor team?. Going to need others players to step up at u20 age. Other counties will be pulling from multiple teams to form an U20 team. Plus galway will be in the championship in leinster. Hope this team can develop, its going to be very tough.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

The under 15 hurling team is poor.
Under 16 not too bad.
I'd be hoping next years under 20s wouldn't be too bad.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Hopefully so. See most developmemt squads have stopped for the summer, which is odd considering all other counties are getting ready for matches in July and August.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i agree we scored 6 pts in the second half which isnt enough really. but defending a lead often leads to defensive thoughts rather than attacking. the sheer wrongness of the non free at the end was astounding. i asked a tipp hurling lad i know if there was a free given would there have been 1 tipp person howling about it not being a free? he agreed none. it got me thinking of stuff over the years re refs /offaly hurlers etc. the small team often gets very little or nothing specially against the big 3. a few here might remember the matt ruth incident where the ball was at least 18 inches wide but umpire was asleep and the decisive goal was the reason offaly lost. incidentally kilkenny won the all ireland the same year. a few years later dj carey too 12 steps without playing the ball and again no free out.it resulted in a decisive goal. in the brilliant 99 all ireland semifinal of pure hurling john troy brilliantly blocked a brian corcoran attempted clearance and was thru on goal with overlaps either side. ref said it was a free to cork. a point resulted. a 4 point turn around again in a close game. and dont start me on the 89 u21 final..too many incidents to mention in that one.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

biffinbanner wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:01 pm a few years later dj carey too 12 steps without playing the ball and again no free out.it resulted in a decisive goal.
DJ famously took a lot of steps to rescue Kilkenny against Wexford in 1991. Well he over travelled most times he was winding up to shoot.
In 1993 it was John Power who took some bonus steps against Offaly before tumbling like a giraffe on an ice rink to earn Kilkenny a late win. Kilkenny went on to win the All Ireland.
https://youtu.be/9IclHx05NjI?t=1422

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:29 pm
fifitrixiebelle wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:15 pm
Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:22 pm Shaking his head doesn’t mean he made the right decision, it further embeds how poor of a decision it was that he seen it and didn’t award the free.
maybe the worst decision was the No 6 jumping up on the Tipp subs back seconds later
Shaking the head might not mean its right decision but it is an indication of what he thought at the time, rightly or wrongly..jumping up on the number 6s back I suppose is more sporting than throwing a hurl at him I suppose..
overall the major question is how a team that was 6 points & a man up with 10mins to go was only 2 points up deep into injury time & during that period allowed both Tipp wing backs & the full back to score points. tipp had come out of tough corners v waterford clare & galway while offaly hadnt & had also played more difficult games. that showed on the day

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Offaly employed a football mindset when them man was sent off as in "lets hold what we have" ..a ferocious approach, all very well say tag on a few more points but we only scored 8 in the second half in all, and majority of them came early enough in the 2nd half..no doubt we left it behind us but you have to hand it to Tipp, they hung in there when that game was gone..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Life goes on. And the Minor hurling championship gets underway this weekend. Matches on Saturday, first named teams at home, and throw in is at 11am unless stated.

Kinnitty-Lusmagh v Shamrocks (match at Kinnitty)
Drumcullen/Seir Kieran v Ballinamere-Durrow (match at Rath)
Carrig & Riverstown/Crinkill v Shinrone/Ballyskenagh-Killavilla (match at Carrig)
Na Fianna v Coolderry (match at Killeigh)
St Rynaghs v Kilcormac-Killoughey (match at Banagher at 12 noon)

Meanwhile Ferbane-Belmont opened their campaign with a 3-17 to 0-7 win over Gracefield earlier this evening.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:26 pm Life goes on. And the Minor hurling championship gets underway this weekend. Matches on Saturday, first named teams at home, and throw in is at 11am unless stated.

Kinnitty-Lusmagh v Shamrocks (match at Kinnitty)
Drumcullen/Seir Kieran v Ballinamere-Durrow (match at Rath)
Carrig & Riverstown/Crinkill v Shinrone/Ballyskenagh-Killavilla (match at Carrig)
Na Fianna v Coolderry (match at Killeigh)
St Rynaghs v Kilcormac-Killoughey (match at Banagher at 12 noon)

Meanwhile Ferbane-Belmont opened their campaign with a 3-17 to 0-7 win over Gracefield earlier this evening.
You’d have to think that whoever gets to hurl K-K in the final of this has had an excellent year regardless of the outcome.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Just wondering has the Minor Football/Hurling Double ever been done in the one year.

K-K are pretty much nailed on in the hurling and I see they’ve beaten Rhode and Edenderry in the football. So could go close in that.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:01 pm Just wondering has the Minor Football/Hurling Double ever been done in the one year.

K-K are pretty much nailed on in the hurling and I see they’ve beaten Rhode and Edenderry in the football. So could go close in that.
Not since Rynaghs in 1961. Prior to that, Clara once (1957) and Tullamore eight times, first in 1933 and finally in 1958.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Thanks for that LS