Quick Hurling/Rules ?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Quick Hurling/Rules ?

Post by Kevin »

Watched the Kilkenny/Galway highlights. There seems to be a considerable bit of squabbling over the free given at the end of the game.

Not sure I understand all the excitement. Looked like a reasonable free to me.

Anyone have an opinion on the incident in question either way?

Thanks.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Quick Hurling/Rules ?

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I had a GAA-free weekend and only saw the incident on the news, so I basically haven't had a proper look at it.

Part of it is that the unwritten rule is that the referee is supposed to blow for full-time when the sides are level, and is supposed to give a free to make a draw of it in the event there is a one point gap between the two. And that didn't happen on Sunday; instead the referee played 'God' and decided the winner.

It happens in no other sport.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:49 pm I had a GAA-free weekend and only saw the incident on the news, so I basically haven't had a proper look at it.

Part of it is that the unwritten rule is that the referee is supposed to blow for full-time when the sides are level, and is supposed to give a free to make a draw of it in the event there is a one point gap between the two. And that didn't happen on Sunday; instead the referee played 'God' and decided the winner.

It happens in no other sport.
I remember working for one UK betting firm, and helping to build their GAA betting in play model, to help shape the pricing as the game went on. Trying to explain to a group of English lads (and one Norwegian guy) that this was a real thing, and it had to be allowed for, wasn't easy.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Referee played "god"? Ref awarded a free for a foul.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

im no kilkenny fan but paddy deegan went for the ball and won it? what is he supposed to do stand back? cody showed no class after but is quite possible the kilkenny lad had a free shot to win it if ref didnt blow. but i suppose it happened so quick its hard blame the ref..

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the background/perspective. That explains a lot.

Agree he should go for the ball, just appears that he runs through your man in an established position to do so. I see it as a foul (open to discussion).

As pointed out, if no foul is called either because it is not deemed a foul (fair enough), or because we should be having a draw (don’t like it) Kilkenny looks to have a reasonable chance to win.

Should Kilkenny have won under the thinking of the latter scenario it would have seemed - well, you know…

Who would want to be a referee when you have these types of tradition influenced rubix cubes that need to be solved in a split second. The ref can’t win in this scenario either way.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

In slow motion Deegan managed to touch the ball first, but you don't consider that in isolation, the follow through has to be a factor. It looked wild, though the Galway man made a meal of it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZFnOrfPz8s

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

I see. At first I thought the Galway player misplayed it just before getting hit.Now I see it.

No doubt there appears to be a ‘soccer style’ reaction to being hit. Tiresome.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Leinster U20 final earlier this evening. Four minutes additional time announced. With the four minutes elapsed and one point between Kilkenny and Wexford, the referee finds another 90 seconds to enable the trailing team the chance to equalise. The chance went wide.

It's not the referee's job to try to ensure the match ends in a draw.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Couldn't agree with you more to be brutally honest I think some reffing performances in that u20 championship leaves alot to be desired for.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Tipp minors after getting robbed by the make it a draw rule. 4 minutes of added time to be played. There were no stoppages during that time, yet the ref finds an extra 50 seconds to allow clare one last chance.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

joe bloggs wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:53 pm Tipp minors after getting robbed by the make it a draw rule. 4 minutes of added time to be played. There were no stoppages during that time, yet the ref finds an extra 50 seconds to allow clare one last chance.
Tipperary won 3-0 on penalties tonight.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

SearingDrive wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:23 pm
joe bloggs wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:53 pm Tipp minors after getting robbed by the make it a draw rule. 4 minutes of added time to be played. There were no stoppages during that time, yet the ref finds an extra 50 seconds to allow clare one last chance.
Tipperary won 3-0 on penalties tonight.
Justice prevailed in the end.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean