Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by SearingDrive »

Anthony Cunningham has stepped away from the Roscommon SF post. He might be a contender, and given his past managerial role with Galway hurlers, the hurling manager’s role might appeal to him.

Pat Mustard
Junior A

Post by Pat Mustard »

Niall Stack wouldn't be a bad option has done great work with tullamore and the secondary school in tullamore also he was a coach with the Tipperary footballers when they got to all Ireland semi final a few years ago

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

anthony cunningham would be a good choice for the hurlers if he was interested. hes primarily hurling dna. and he brought galway very close to toppling a peak kilkenny.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Who is on the committee that selects the management does anyone know or what way does it actually work?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Behindthegoal wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:23 pm Why not him? Because why on earth would he want to come to Offaly? A division 3 team who got slaughtered in the tailteann cup. He’s a proven coach/manager and could virtually get any gig in the country he wants I’d imagine Offaly would be well well well down his list
Well with an attitude like that we might as well pack up and go home, hand the job to Micky Mcdonagh as someone else suggested.

O’Neill’s stock has no doubt risen this year because of Galway’s run but back at the beginning of the league when Offaly and Galway were in the same division, was anyone saying he was above us then? Or when he was only a coach with the Cork footballers in 2019 when low and behold they faced Offaly in division 3...

The Meath job is gone, applications for the Mayo job have closed leaving only the Donegal, Roscommon and Monaghan jobs that are more attractive than Offaly’s.

We should atleast be in for him, it’d be an opportunity for him to get back into senior inter-county management and have a free hit at getting us up to division 2, further rising his stock and putting his name on everyone’s list in 2-3 years for the top counties in the country.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The Chairman, the Secretary, the Treasurer and two others appointed at a county board meeting. So nothing will happen until the committee is formed - is there a county board meeting this week, does anyone know?
Tmacmahon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:59 pm Who is on the committee that selects the management does anyone know or what way does it actually work?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:04 pm The Chairman, the Secretary, the Treasurer and two others appointed at a county board meeting. So nothing will happen until the committee is formed - is there a county board meeting this week, does anyone know?
Tmacmahon wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:59 pm Who is on the committee that selects the management does anyone know or what way does it actually work?
I do know the CCC are meeting tonight, not sure whether that means a county board meeting too?

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:32 pm
Behindthegoal wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:23 pm Why not him? Because why on earth would he want to come to Offaly? A division 3 team who got slaughtered in the tailteann cup. He’s a proven coach/manager and could virtually get any gig in the country he wants I’d imagine Offaly would be well well well down his list
Well with an attitude like that we might as well pack up and go home, hand the job to Micky Mcdonagh as someone else suggested.

O’Neill’s stock has no doubt risen this year because of Galway’s run but back at the beginning of the league when Offaly and Galway were in the same division, was anyone saying he was above us then? Or when he was only a coach with the Cork footballers in 2019 when low and behold they faced Offaly in division 3...

The Meath job is gone, applications for the Mayo job have closed leaving only the Donegal, Roscommon and Monaghan jobs that are more attractive than Offaly’s.

We should atleast be in for him, it’d be an opportunity for him to get back into senior inter-county management and have a free hit at getting us up to division 2, further rising his stock and putting his name on everyone’s list in 2-3 years for the top counties in the country.
No I never said give the job to Mick Mcdonagh but the way you said “oh nobody’s mentioned Cian O’Neill?” I wonder why? That’s like saying why hasn’t anyone mentioned Jim Gavin? Anyone who knows anything about Gaa knows Cian O’Neill has been one of the top coaches on the circuit for a long time. Yeah Offaly were in the same division as Galway for the first time in over 20 years and won 1 match by a point and are back down to our level now again. Maybe after getting Galway to division one winning Connaught and being level with the all-Ireland champions with five minutes to go he might actually stay with Galway? Or will he think actually no I’m going to swap this for a division three team who were embarrassed conceding 3-22 in the tailteann cup? To think we can get Cian O’Neill is delusional we aren’t in the top 16 teams in the country he wouldn’t come to Offaly in a million years and who could blame him.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Behindthegoal wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 am
Anonymous1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:32 pm

No I never said give the job to Mick Mcdonagh but the way you said “oh nobody’s mentioned Cian O’Neill?” I wonder why? That’s like saying why hasn’t anyone mentioned Jim Gavin? Anyone who knows anything about Gaa knows Cian O’Neill has been one of the top coaches on the circuit for a long time. Yeah Offaly were in the same division as Galway for the first time in over 20 years and won 1 match by a point and are back down to our level now again. Maybe after getting Galway to division one winning Connaught and being level with the all-Ireland champions with five minutes to go he might actually stay with Galway? Or will he think actually no I’m going to swap this for a division three team who were embarrassed conceding 3-22 in the tailteann cup? To think we can get Cian O’Neill is delusional we aren’t in the top 16 teams in the country he wouldn’t come to Offaly in a million years and who could blame him.
Well there you have it folks, Cian O’Neill is now on the same level as Jim Gavin... If he’s as highly regarded as you say, why is his name never mentioned in contention for any big jobs?

If we’re going by your logic, why would Mickey Harte, a 3 time all Ireland winning manager swap from a team in division 1 to a team in division 4 who had just been knocked out of the championship in their first game by Longford?

I’m sure you would’ve ridiculed suggestions of Harte to Offaly two years ago too but there’s always a possibility and as I say, we should atleast be speaking to him to see if he’s interested.

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Liam Kearns set to take Offaly football reins. https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-g ... 98827.html

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Just seems like a bit of an underwhelming appointment looking in from the outside.

Hopefully he and his management team will prove me wrong.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

He'd be very professional and be very solid. Use to dealing with limited resources.

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

done a good job with tipp. tends to be defence minded. but a solid man and a solid coach id say.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Is he not a bit old school? Two stints with laois aswell. Is he the right man to get our young talent firing?

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

could be considered "safe" i suppose for a few years..?