Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by jimbob17 »

Not sure I like tone of some of comparisons above. All are amateurs doing their best. Johnson has lots of potential at county senior level but for now, that is all it is. Potential. Lots of talented guys came and went over the years with just as much talent and never really had a strong run over long period of time for co senior team and more will come and go. Thinking of likes of Ken Casey and Thomas Deehan who were phenomenal at underage who probably never really showed consistency at inter county level over a sustained period of time. In fact, i'd suggest Casey has played his best football in his late twenties when he went to St Lomans at a time he was not involved with Offaly at all.

Johnson has done brilliantly at underage no doubt, but the jump to county senior is huge, physically in particular. Unless he is willing to get himself in absolute top top shape, he will not fulfil potential. To do that, it probably requires a two year commitment to county senior panel during which he will be an in and out sort of player. Has he got the work ethic and drive to do that until he is physically in top shape? I don't know and nobody knows that only the lad himself. To be fair to Farrell, he really developed himself physically over last 2 and half years or so and was turning into our best forward before getting injured last year.
jimbob

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Not going down the rabbit hole of comparing two of our most talented players but you only have to look at what they’ve won over their careers and who stood up in the big games to answer that question for me.

Bryant and O’Neill played against division 4 opposition and a pub team in this years tailteann cup up until the semi-final and didn’t look promising at all Cormac egan will be great when he comes back I’m sure but he’s more of a strike runner rather than a deadly finisher.

On a side note any word on when the new Offaly manager will be announced? Club championship well underway now would be great if the mgt team could be finalised so they can look at the games and try and find new talent.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Keen for people's opinion here on likely candidates for the Offaly Managers job, do we go like the majority of counties and promote one of our past greats to become manager or do we go for another man outside the county?
The Untouchable

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

private joker wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:57 am What you are forgetting is the those players you mentioned from mayo kerry etc are going into incredible strong teams and are very very good players. David Clifford will win a lot of all irelands. Offaly young lad going into an average team , very hard to get going and confidence can go very quickly.
So these Mayo and Kerry players are very very good players, are our under talent not "very good " players also...the Kerrys and Tyrones and Mayos are going into very good teams but it is all division one football primarily, winning provincial and All Irelands even, we are talking Offaly here, a confirmed division 3 team playing counties of simmilar standard, now if our young prodigys are not considered good enough for that "step up" of football, when will they be, yes if it was division 1 or two consistently and we were comptetitive in Leinster fair enough, but we are a long way off that level..keeping them until 23/4 or 5 and then gradually introducing them and next thing they are gone altogether...I hear the arugument but repeat we are over cautious as far as I see...Limerick brough on young Colin Coughlan in the All Ireland final who is an up and coming star down there, more are on the fringes..Andrew O'Shaugnessy I think played senior for Limerick at 17 as far as I remember when they were not exactly shooting the lights out back then..anyway, it is as it is in Offaly...

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

the Untouchable wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:20 pm Keen for people's opinion here on likely candidates for the Offaly Managers job, do we go like the majority of counties and promote one of our past greats to become manager or do we go for another man outside the county?
Internally Phil Reilly and Pascal Kelleghan were floated around in recent weeks chatter. Not sure if much substance to the chatter tho. Pat Flanagan I suppose has had another decent spell over in the west which makes him relevant to the discussion but there is baggage with the old board. That may have changed since things shifted a bit at board level. Declan Kelly will always be linked after the u20s achievement. As far as I am aware he was not in a position due to work commitments. that may have changed.

Tomas O' Se was in the mix. I am not sure if that is still the case. Brilliant player. I was disappointed with how the team set up defensively or should I say applied themselves defensively this year. The zonal approach with plenty of lads back but nobody sticking to a man like glue. A lot of marking space. I would worry about the coaching that led to that and all that management team need to be accountable for that.

Its going to be a big decision. One that has to be got right however. Some lovely talent there. I would like to see the club championship showing a bit more physical side to it. Club games in late 90's, and noughties seemed to be far more tougher and more intensity. It prepared lads more for intercounty and taking hits without getting softened up.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

O'Sé may well get it and maybe he is the right man.
However seeing some comments on various social media, some people want to give him the job for dubious reasons.
Being from Kerry, a renowned GAA family, winning lots of medals and being a Sunday Game pundit are not the right reasons.

These are things he has to overcome. Someone from an elite county often has to adjust their thinking to understand the realities of being a less successful county, with less resources, less funds, less of a talent pool, playing for the county not being as attractive.

When it comes to defensive systems, just because he won a heap of All Stars as a back, doesn't mean he's expert on defensive set ups.
The Kerry teams he played on could beat about 29 other counties without giving a single thought as to how they should set up against the opposition.

Notably, Kerry turned to a defensive expert Paddy Tally to help them out this year. This is a county who are very reluctant to look outside its borders. It just shows they've never had to think very deeply about it they way other counties would have to.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Just a point to pick up on, re Cian Johnson point but not aimed at him in particular.

I watched him a good bit underage and in the latter stages of the club championship that Ferbane won and there is no doubting his potential and ability.

There is no doubting Joe Maher's potential, likewise Nigel Dunne, and many others.

The thing is, and the only thing that matters is that there is an understanding of the workrate and committment that is required to play senior intercounty football. That is not for everybody and there is no shame in any guy deciding at any stage that it is not for him.

I want to leave it at the fact that I hope that any lad who wishes to play for Offaly, and has the potential understands the savage work and the sacrifices involved in order to play for Offaly and (hopefully) bring success, and be successful for Offaly, and for themselves.

I know the commitment that lads put in up to minor from having family involved and I'm not sure I would want a son taking on that responsibility plus 40% extra at senior level..
You need to have a savage strong mentality, but also a great motivation to ensure that you fight to achieve for yourself personally from a career perspective.

For example, a player in Dublin/Kerry and many other counties I reckon have jobs as teachers etc with time off. Money is ok, but they are receiving revenue from all sorts of endorsements and activities also.

So, my point is that I apologise for naming Cian in an earlier post, but what I mean is a raft of talented players that slip through the cracks, often comes down to their perception of hard work and what they are willing to sacrifice. I hope that our players that are willing to put in the effort and sacrifice to the level required to get out of Div 3 and compete in the championship make themselves available to give that push and that they are supported and rewarded to the best manner possible. And that they get every opportunity for success, on and off the field that can be provided.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

well said and clarified and just to note many intercounty players in all counties have jobs such as teachers or other good enough jobs, Offaly are no different from what I see in both hurling and football, the odd one here and there will be a tradesman or whathave you but if they have talent they usually end up in good jobs either through self progression or through GAA contacts etc. Commitment is indeed not for everyone, I played a bit of club in my day and cannot see how these young men and women now commit to the level they do, its beyond me for sure, I wish all well and hopefully we will rise abit in both codes again..hard to see who our new manager will be, Tomas O'Se??...I dont know either...

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I believe Tomas O Shea, unfortunately imo, won't be taking up the manager's role.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Hyper wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:26 am I believe Tomas O Shea, unfortunately imo, won't be taking up the manager's role.

What is it you’ve heard?

Hard to believe the CB could be naieve enough to mention his name at length in the media unless he was close enough a done thing.

On the debate of internal v external hires. Surely by virtue of the fact that there are so few outstanding internal candidates, is it any wonder we aren’t producing top quality talent? Sort of a nature v nurture argument. If we don’t have high quality coaching taking part in the clubs, is it any wonder what’s produced at IC level struggles to compete?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Well there it is
Attachments
EF1F9014-DF27-4D3A-AA53-F81C58800DCA.png
EF1F9014-DF27-4D3A-AA53-F81C58800DCA.png (4.63 MiB) Viewed 5350 times

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Confirmation that O Se has dropped out.
Also a suspicion that the CB have been blindsided by this.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/gaa/ga ... t-27616084

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Offaly county board gonna Offaly county board 🤷‍♂️

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:34 am Offaly county board gonna Offaly county board 🤷‍♂️
Where do we go now If travel is an issue now, was it the same as a coach under John Maughan?

pigeon house biffo
All Star

Whos the manager of portarlington? Surely he’d be interested?