Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Unfortunately, Offaly didn't deliver today. A surprise perhaps, but certainly not a shock.

The continuing theme of the year - Offaly flummoxed by having to factor in wind advantage/disadvantage.
Unable to deal with teams who set up with men behind the ball and then counter attack.

We acquit ourselves better against teams who play it open, old school and want a shoot out - like Cork and Galway this year.

jimbob17
All Star

Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by jimbob17 »

Wasn't at the game but sounded poor on the radio. Laz Molly suggested we deserved to lose and suggested that if we concede 1-15 against a Div 4 team, we are better off not facing Dublin next weekend. Also suggested that it looks like this year will be the end of John Maughan's reign.

Interested in thoughts of anyone that travelled.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by SearingDrive »

Beaten by 3 points today. Where do Offaly go from here?

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:45 pm Wasn't at the game but sounded poor on the radio. Laz Molly suggested we deserved to lose and suggested that if we concede 1-15 against a Div 4 team, we are better off not facing Dublin next weekend. Also suggested that it looks like this year will be the end of John Maughan's reign.

Interested in thoughts of anyone that travelled.
I listened to commentary. Wexford deserved the win. What now in a bad week for Offaly football?

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I tuned in to the radio commentary

Bar a 10 minute stage in the second half we never took it to them

Tomas o se was robbing a living the last few months by the looks of it

Maughan will now surely go, who comes in is a different question which I’m not sure has an obvious answer

Tactically we seem to be absolutely clueless

Best players in the county still not involved, fair play to the lads who committed, not sure where it goes from here, last year’s stint in div 2 was likely an aberration which i would think won’t be repeated again unless serious rectification takes place

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

A shock considering Wexford were 4/1 and Offaly were red hot favourites. Poor result, the management has run its course sadly after a much improved last few years. O se appointment didn’t bring much to the table.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

kingscounty wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:02 pm A shock considering Wexford were 4/1 and Offaly were red hot favourites. Poor result, the management has run its course sadly after a much improved last few years. O se appointment didn’t bring much to the table.
Brought expenses alright. Who will be the new football manager, and what about the Tailteann Cup?

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Just on the way home from the game, Offaly weren’t at the races everything was brutal … we wouldn’t have bate anybody today … everything was wrong , Wexford owned the ball from start to finish bar a few minutes here and there, Wexford wanted it a lot more …we looked heavy legged … disgusted now

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Best players in the county still not involved, fair play to the lads who committed,
Who are the best players that are not involved?
Doon exile....

Faithful follower
Junior B
Club: Dublin

Post by Faithful follower »

Disappointed with yesterday like every other Offaly supporter . Can people spare a thought for the players here . They have done everything that was asked of them what more can they do , would you seriously line out for Offaly with the criticism that is being dished out this is a supporter’s forum . No doubt there are questions that need to be answered but we have to take into account our current injuries and our lack of firepower up front. It’s seem the training schedule may have been wrong in recent weeks as there seems to be an overload and this may have contributed to some of these injuries. A lot of people remarked how sluggish and heavy leg Offaly were yesterday .Also yesterday only one starting forward scored from play , I know that both teams got everyone behind the ball but Wexford were better on counterattack . I thought management should have anton out field as he’s very good at running at oppression defence and this can cause openings for other. Why also have lost players from the panel this year , yesterday our bench was short on options .

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

can you point out where anyone critisised the players in any small way?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I haven't seen anyone being unfair? I've seen comments elsewhere like on Facebook where people are putting the boot in.

IMO, at full strength Offaly team would have won with a few points to spare. I thought that Offaly might still have squeezed out a win yesterday but unfortunately it didn't happen.

Most of us are being realistic. Promotion to D2 had an element of good fortune to it, but the team made a decent effort at surviving there. The U20 win might have created giddiness and impatience in some quarters, but most of us know it's longer term before any benefit will be seen.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I wonder has the perception that John Maughan is halfway out the door had a negative effect? I'm not entirely clear where bringing on board Tomas O Se fitted, but I'm open minded as to the plan.

I remember in 1996 Diarmuid Healy was brought in to assist Eamon Cregan. It seemed to suggest that staleness had set in and Cregan needed outside help to get Offaly back on track. Unsurprisingly Cregan's rein ended that year.

In 2004, during the 2nd year of Mike McNamara's tenure, Michael Duignan was also added to the management ticket. This was in response to growing unrest among several Offaly hurling Ayatollahs about the direction McNamara was taking us (relegation). Again, it fed the perception that Mike Mc was a coach who could run fellas up and down hills, but his management skills weren't sufficient. McNamara was ousted soon after.

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Terribly disappointing day yesterday. There was a sizable Offaly support that travelled down; Wexford would probably be disappointed with their own following so just goes to prove that Hurling is their big focus.

Offaly looked like a small team against some big men. Despite that, we must have broke even in the Midfield exchanges, although both teams struggled to judge the strong wind consistently. But in the Forward lines, we had no ball winners. The same type of high balls that are exactly what Niall Mc loves to win .... those were still being played in when he was not there (curiously he was togged out and participated in the pre-match warm-up). Anton did not come outfield nearly as much as he normally does, and only really did so when we were chasing the game. We never got any containment on Ben Brosnan, and we have nobody approaching his influence on our side.

I know nothing about these rumours/stories of disquiet in the camp. I dont begrudge young lads wanting to travel a bit at that age. In general, I think too much Time Commitment is demanded of young Amateur players in the prime of their lives, and there are too many recent examples where some of those young lives have gotten cut short. Let them live and play the games they (and we) love.

This year has shown that Offaly Football can put on displays of talent and good Football. Whether that is enough to give the Tailteann Cup a proper run .... I really dont know at this point. Positional switches seemed to make little impact yesterday, so maybe this Management Team's time is nearly up.

Yesterday we travelled in confidence that we should hardly lose to such lowly opposition, but yet again we had a long quiet moreoseful drive home. I expect the feeling was much worse on the Team Bus.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

very sorry for all involved yesterday in the defeat to Wexford..I said it before and will say it again...we are molly coddling our underage players too much...take young Mullen and Connroy for Mayo..in the team two years I think now and only gosoons...Offaly are "protecting" players up untl mid 20's almost and then some of them just fall away...Wexford brought a player on in their hurling game on Saturday and his is doing his leaving cert this year...Offaly hurlers while we are not at the top table either seem to be more ready to play up and comminng players...If I hear term "protect" young players again out of the current Offaly footballl management...on about injuries, if Niall Mc injured at 36 odd years of age is able to take the wheels off our wagon then we are at nothing...surely some good forwards from last years u20 should be in these games now...1-12 will not win any sort of game now...Maughan referring to Tullamore businesses cursinng him for not bringing Dublin to the county town onn Saturday is an embarrassing statement indeed...I know the context of what he meant, but yesterdays display bar the opening second half was frightfuly negative...sorry John Maughan but enough is enough...if your going to lose, lose trying to win at least..