Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kearns is better than several of the names linked to the job.
Getting Tipp to the 2016 All Ireland semi is a recent enough achievement and was done with a number of the 2011 All Ireland minor winning team.
So I doubt he's too outdated and doesn't know how to bring along young talent.

wonka
Junior C

Post by wonka »

Did very well with Tipp

Arguably did even better with Limerick, some years prior to that where they should have beaten Kerry in a Munster final

Age is a problem though - at what point do these lads lose their edge and desire.
And no, Cody is not a valid age comparison, he was a 1-county man at the top table

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

wonka wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:43 am Did very well with Tipp

Arguably did even better with Limerick, some years prior to that where they should have beaten Kerry in a Munster final

Age is a problem though - at what point do these lads lose their edge and desire.
And no, Cody is not a valid age comparison, he was a 1-county man at the top table
Yes, managers can have a shelf life, their best work is usually done in their early stints and then it tails off.

The trend I've seen in Offaly in the last decade or so is that the managers short on track record haven't had the happiest stints.
So prior experience probably helps in keeping better order on a panel that historically has a lot of players who become disillusioned and drop out.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Has Liam Kearns been formally appointed to the SF manager’s post?. I have not heard anything on the media.

[youtube][/youtube]

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

No. And won't be until the next full county board meeting. That possibly isn't until the first Tuesday of September. They probably put word of their preferred candidate out into the media to ward off other would-be interested counties.
SearingDrive wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:16 am Has Liam Kearns been formally appointed to the SF manager’s post?. I have not heard anything on the media.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

You hardly think that offaly football is such a juggernaut that merely by expressing interest we are capable of warding off other counties interest?

Have you seen what counties are still looking for management? If any of those, however unlikely, wanted kearns he’d drop us in a heartbeat.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Of all outsiders, he is a guy I think has lot to offer. He could easily go elsewhere too however. Roscommon would/ could be attractive proposition to him.

Did brilliantly with Limerick in noughties. Would have beaten Kerry and won Munster only for Dara O Se catching ball over crossbar. If Hawkeye was there it might have been given as a score. That was a great Limerick team that were in hard luck to meet Kerry so often. Names like John Quane, John Galvin and Muiris Gavin spring to mind.

He had talent to work with with Tipp too and their senior run was after they won plenty at minor and u21 before that.

All I'd say is that many of his teams were big physical teams. Not sure that we would have enough of them type of figures currently and as such, he might need to adapt game plan from what he has used in past.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:10 pm Of all outsiders, he is a guy I think has lot to offer. He could easily go elsewhere too however. Roscommon would/ could be attractive proposition to him.

Did brilliantly with Limerick in noughties. Would have beaten Kerry and won Munster only for Dara O Se catching ball over crossbar. If Hawkeye was there it might have been given as a score. That was a great Limerick team that were in hard luck to meet Kerry so often. Names like John Quane, John Galvin and Muiris Gavin spring to mind.

He had talent to work with with Tipp too and their senior run was after they won plenty at minor and u21 before that.

All I'd say is that many of his teams were big physical teams. Not sure that we would have enough of them type of figures currently and as such, he might need to adapt game plan from what he has used in past.
What would you regard as progress by our footballers, under Liam Kearns and his new team.?

Anonymous1
All Star

Post by Anonymous1 »

Liam Kearns recommended as Offaly senior football manager. https://offaly.gaa.ie/2022/08/11/liam-k ... l-manager/

Behindthegoal
Junior A
Club: Ballinagar

Post by Behindthegoal »

Kearns confirmed.thoughts on this? It’s not as flashy of name as the hurling appointment but could turn out to be just as good. The back room team he selects will the crucial. At least he can get to club games now a new era begins

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

SearingDrive wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:03 pm
jimbob17 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:10 pm Of all outsiders, he is a guy I think has lot to offer. He could easily go elsewhere too however. Roscommon would/ could be attractive proposition to him.

What would you regard as progress by our footballers, under Liam Kearns and his new team.?
Progress for me is playing good football and getting team up to Div 2 and staying there. Will only happen with best players being in there which is a job in itself. Championship wise, need to be beating half of Leinster and genuinely competing with Meath and Kildare. In T Cup, will be hard to win but need to be beating weaker teams well and very competitive with top teams in it. Should not be getting beat by 10 pts like Westmeath did to us this year.
jimbob

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:55 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:03 pm

Progress for me is playing good football and getting team up to Div 2 and staying there. Will only happen with best players being in there which is a job in itself. Championship wise, need to be beating half of Leinster and genuinely competing with Meath and Kildare. In T Cup, will be hard to win but need to be beating weaker teams well and very competitive with top teams in it. Should not be getting beat by 10 pts like Westmeath did to us this year.
I would agree with that Jimbob.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Midlands radio confirmed today that Martin Murphy (Portarlington manager of last 2 championship winning teams) set to be involved with Offaly seniors with Liam Kearns. A real positive to get him involved.
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:25 pm Midlands radio confirmed today that Martin Murphy (Portarlington manager of last 2 championship winning teams) set to be involved with Offaly seniors with Liam Kearns. A real positive to get him involved.
I feel he would have been a more suitable managerial appointment than Kearns to be honest.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

Dont know what you heard on midlands 103.

Will o callaghan just said he’s only being linked

In his interview after the portarlington game, he said his sole focus is portarlington for the foreseeable future.

Doesn’t sound like anythings confirmed