Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
JimBwobb
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Team - Championship 2022

Post by JimBwobb »

O connor Park next Sunday

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Well done on the win but we made hard work of it.

All the same, as Johnny Moloney said , and as one of the few who was at the first game meself, I agree, Wexford were 7 or 8 points a better team than Offaly. So to turn it around is a credit to the players and the management.

But Jaysus don't anyone start about the good draw that we have with Wicklow in Tullamore next Sunday!
Game we should be able to win alright but only with the right attitude.

Need to vary our play like the Cork game but we will be filleted if we give away 2 goals like we did yesterday. Wicklow have beaten Laois and put Waterford away handily yesterday and are ruthless enough in pursuit of goals also.

But its another test for our players and hopefully we can turn up in some numbers and give them a bit of backing.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

A few points of different things, Offaly football first, a good rebound win on Wexford yesterday, but as always under Maughan once we got the crucial scores (goals in particular) we seemed to decided to sit back and defend what we had despite a long time left in the game..it was painful watching them passing the ball around like the Dubs do/did with acres of time on the clock to be seen out..no going for the killer punch and once posession was turned over Wexford done as one would expect and punish us and we almost ran out of time to hold them off in the end..where this attitude comes from beggars belief, have we learnt nothing from other similar tight games over the last few years..great win in end I suppose but look at what Dublin did to Wexford after they beat us..we might stagger over a few rounds playing at this level like this but there are too many postive teams in this Tailteann cup for our ould mullarkey of caution when ahead in games..and the problem I have is we can play football, and good attacking football, we have the players but they are being coached way way over caution from what I see. I thought this Tailteann cup was to guarantee all teams 3 or 4 games against the equivalents??..Wexford and Waterford etc. gone already after last weekend is not a great advertisement for it now is it...I am despairing with all this rushing of the chanmpionship, and for what, to play off the club by October and sit looking at nothing until mid January...dont agree with it at all and I think you will see players opting out in particular of the weaker counties where they are training hard for months for intercounty and are out done and dusted with a week still left in May..not right in my view, I know people will say club deserves it slot and it does but microwaving the intercounty is not the ansswer either, too much work and commitment going into to it to be playing week in week out for 6 weeks and still be knocked out by 3rd week of May...on a foot note Saturday sport of Radio one are all adverting "huge day in the Joe McDonagh and Christy Ring Cup" but spend the time leading up to the main championship games in the championship propper discussing how Munster "will do" against some French team or other, asking the coach how he was feeling about the game all week etc...this is totally over done altogether considering our main sport is GAA (yes Rughby is popular enough but not as popular as people want to believe in my view -it is sort of cool to know all about it from what I see with many watching it - like its not a rivetting game or anything) and then when we think they might be going over to see how the second tier championships are going its "after the break we are off to the Curragh for the 3 Oclock"..and if we are lucky to stay tuned we might get a verbal update on the half time scores of the second tier championship games...and we wonder then why people and players lose interest..anyway..the games will be getting less and less under the current format..the longest day is still a month away...
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Tue May 24, 2022 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alloutbarthegoalie
Junior B
Club: Edenderry

Post by Alloutbarthegoalie »

Are tickets available for Sunday”s match or is it pay at the gate?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Alloutbarthegoalie wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:24 am Are tickets available for Sunday”s match or is it pay at the gate?
I can’t manage the online thing. Try Supervlu, or Centra. I did last Saturday.

Geansai Gorm
Senior
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Geansai Gorm »

Alloutbarthegoalie wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:24 am Are tickets available for Sunday”s match or is it pay at the gate?
https://am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/offalywicklowtc22

Faithful Future
Junior B

Post by Faithful Future »

A pleasing performance today, though Wicklow didn't offer much. The hard ground suits this young team. Great to be getting a few more games at this stage in the year which will definitely bring us on long term. 10 different scorers is great to see.

Dunican made a good save and provided some good distribution. Full back line dealt with a few high balls comfortably. Maloney is really a great leader from center back and bursted forward well. Our midfield worked hard and forwards starting to click a little bit.

I'd love to see us move the ball inside quicker, particularly on counter attacks. We now have three inside forwards who are very potent. At times when we turned over the ball we brought the ball to midfield and decided to turn back while Niall/Bryant/O'Neill kept making runs.

A lot to build on and the next game will be interesting. I'd love to draw Westmeath next weekend as I think it would be a great test of this teams character and ability.

Next time out I'd love to see
- our wing backs continuing to bomb forward and confident enough to take a score or two.
- quicker ball into our inside forwards.
- Cathal Flynn is a super talent, would love to see him dictating our play from the start.
- only a small thing, but I'd like to see some of our younger lads taking on a couple of the frees. Would have been good to get O'Neill/Bryant into the game with one or two of our closer in frees today when they hadn't yet got on the score sheet.
- less passing around our full back line.
- create a few goal chances. Our half forward line are probably playing a bit deep and moving the ball too slow for this. more quick ball into our inside 3 (likely in a 3 v 4/5 situation) is our most likely way of creating these chances.
- Every team left in the competition were playing in a lower division than us this year in the league. Lets use this competition to show the rest of the country that we are the 'best of the rest' and build nicely into a competitive D3 next year.

Onwards and upwards.

NewEra
County player

Post by NewEra »

Well done to the lads today. Never in doubt. Hopefully can play with a bit more abandon the next day and quicken things a little between defence and attack.

Quick comment and question. Whoever has compiled the football and hurling appearances on this site should be commended (plainoftheherbs - I’m guessing yourself!?) a great resource and record to keep. Just wondering are the Tailteann cup being counted as championship appearance? I see Niall Mc has gone third overall, surpassing Ciaran McManus - I wonder does he have it in the locker to hunt down #1 spot

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

New York in Tullamore next Saturday.
Doon exile....

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

NY at home next weekend.

I would imagine we would have enough to get over the line, however watched NY V Sligo and NY should of won that game a couple of weeks ago.

Novel pairing so be interesting to see what happens, if we win we are in Croke Park for essentially an All Ireland "B" semi final.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Decent performance yesterday, however, not without its flaws, particularly in the first half.
Think we led 10-3 at halftime, comfortable enough if you weren't at it which I guess is the case for many of you?

No, Wicklow kicked 4 very poor wides and a few others also that would have left it interesting.
We were standing off, and not taking responsibility for tracking runners and fell off a few tackles.

Much better in the second half. On the players, Wicklow won a decent share of ball into their full forward line and full back line under a little pressure at times, Maloney played really well at centre back and keep up this level Johnny as really dominated and carried the ball out well. Jordan Hayes , superb performance and with his level of effort matched throughout the field we stand a chance of progression. Completely emptied the tank yesterday. Forwards, Niall was very good, Keith O'Neill grew into the game, particularly in the second half, Ruairi Mc similar to Keith. Bill Carroll, decent but more in him and needs to do more on the breaks. Paddy Dunican pulled off a super save with only 6 pts in it and kicked well also. Great to see him signing autographs for 15 mins after the game, he's the potential to be bit of a cult hero and if he can inspire a few more keepers at club level that would be great.

But happy enough with it and a nice draw for the next round but Lord above, don't let us be the ones to give the red carpet treatment to NY. By all means wine and dine them throughout the town on Sat night and get them down to the "Pull Inn" but this is a great chance to build momentum as Maughan said. Keep the focus and lets get the crowd out on Sunday!

atomic
Junior A

Post by atomic »

should be good buzz around the town saturday night anyway. imagine it will be a saturday to give new york sunday to travel home. must make sure we are not the team who new york finally win a game against!

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

2pm on Saturday.
Doon exile....

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

atomic wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:02 pm should be good buzz around the town saturday night anyway. imagine it will be a saturday to give new york sunday to travel home. must make sure we are not the team who new york finally win a game against!
Of course we had to get New York!

After roaring for them each time Sligo and Leitrim have come to town I’ll need to change jerseys. Hard to root against them, but it has to be done. No choice in the matter. Would be a real spectacle if Offaly came to Gaelic Park, but that was never going to be due to logistics, etc.

Should make for a wonderful occasion and a fun weekend.

We should be able to make use of space against them as Gaelic Park is a little cramped.

As Atomic says above, can’t dare let our guard down against them. They’ve made things uncomfortable for other teams. Hard to know if the whole NY squad will be making the trip out. It’s always a bit of a crap shoot.

Hopefully we have enough to advance.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Offaly footballers have a great chance to progress next Saturday. New York won’t be a pushover.
Will be a great day, hope the weather is good. I’ll head for the terrace, it’s better on a fine day.