League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hasselhoff
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by Hasselhoff »

I would like to see shinrone winning something. But they are the nearly team for a reason. They were short two to three players. The other 12 on the team can bring them so far and then they come up short.
Maybe the newer players they have got this year will make a difference. Its important as well doughans have a good game for them.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well, I don't think Drumcullen is going to win the Championship so let's look at everyone else,
I hope Belmont or Shirone win.
I like Belmont style on hurling and with Oisin Kelly back it would be good for him and the Club.

Listen, Shirone should have won a county title before this.
Shirone has so many good hurlers, that have been trained to break down.
Bad coaches running 18 to 24 years old until they hate training and can't mentally get themselves up for quarter-finals and semi-finals.
Young lad's knees disintegrate cause of the over-use of Interval training drills.

Shirone is a great hurling club, that saw their golden generation coming through and got coaches with a great reputation and the coaches destroyed them by pushing too hard to young.
That was compounded by the inter-county manager picking Shirone players when they were playing poorly at the club level.
This leads to people like me asking why they have been picked.

Whoever wins will have to beat Rynagh's and that is a huge ask for any team at the moment.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Birr was 2019. To me, it was like they panicked after about two minute's play after Birr scored the game's first two points and Shinrone with the wind. Thing was, the way Shinrone were playing that year, playing through the lines, they were better suited to hurling into the wind. They might possibly have outscored Birr in the second half (I don't recall exactly), but they were mentally broken by then.
frankthetank wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:32 amThe worst of all was the Q-Final vs Birr in OCP circa 2018/2019. Words fail me on that one.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Kinnitty v Birr

KK v Rynaghs

Seir Kieran v Coolderry

Belmont v Shinrone

Who we got???
All on at 6pm Saturday

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

A great slate of games, all could be very tight heading into the last 15.
Birr, St Ryanaghs, Coolderry and Belmont for me.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Birr
KK
Belmont
Coolderry for me.

KK v Rynaghs is to see who tops the group both guaranteed knockout hurling. Same few missing from St Rynagh's as was the case against Kinnitty.

Birr to get the 3rd spot there.

Belmont to top group B with Shinrone 2nd
Ballinamere guaranteed 3rd.

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

It’d be good if the new hurling management was in place before the knock out rounds commence.

Surprised how quite its been on that front.

Indoorhurler
Junior C
Club: Seir Kierans

Post by Indoorhurler »

A neutral in this game but a little curious as to why everybody has Birr in such high esteem!! Tried using younger forwards early on in the year, realised they weren't cut out for senior hurling and have had to revert back to the 'older lads' in P.Cleary and S.Ryan.
Really fancy Kinnitty this weekend against them. You can be guaranteed Kinnitty will work twice as hard out of possession and will bring a real toughness to the game.
Result with Rynaghs, albeit minus a few, will have given them huge confidence to get to a quater final.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Onionbag wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 pm Birr
KK
Belmont
Coolderry for me.

KK v Rynaghs is to see who tops the group both guaranteed knockout hurling. Same few missing from St Rynagh's as was the case against Kinnitty.

St Rynaghs were only missing Stephen Wynne (suspended) and Aidan Treacy (holidays) vs Kinnitty. Ronan Hughes was introduced as a sub.

Wynne will be back vs KK and you would expect Hughes to be back aswell as he had a leg injury that stopped him from starting but as I said he was introduced as a sub.

I’ll go with

Shinrone over Belmont

Seir Kieran over Coolderry

Birr over Kinnitty

KK over St Rynaghs

So for me Semi - Finalists are KK and Shinrone

And Q - Final pairings

Birr vs Belmont - Belmont to progress

St Rynaghs vs Ballinamere - St Rynaghs to progress.

If they can avoid each other in the draw I still think we are looking at a Kilcormac/Killoughey vs St Rynaghs final. Which would be St Rynagh’s 9th final appearance in 11 seasons. Consistent.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think Frankthetank you are on the ball. Of course the only thing I would say is Birr should win this weekend and if so they would fancy their chances v Belmont which would be a pretty even match you would think.

The main thing to take from that impressive record for Rynaghs as you said is the fact they are so consistent.

The teams before them who have dominated Offaly hurling are KK and Coolderry and I think it's fair to say Rynaghs can now be mentioned in the same bracket as them.

One thing to note I still think teams around them are not as strong but they can only go out and beat what's in front of them.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:08 am
Onionbag wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 pm Birr
KK
Belmont
Coolderry for me.

St Rynaghs were only missing Stephen Wynne (suspended) and Aidan Treacy (holidays) vs Kinnitty. Ronan Hughes was introduced as a sub.

Wynne will be back vs KK and you would expect Hughes to be back aswell as he had a leg injury that stopped him from starting but as I said he was introduced as a sub.

I’ll go with

Shinrone over Belmont

Seir Kieran over Coolderry

Birr over Kinnitty

KK over St Rynaghs

So for me Semi - Finalists are KK and Shinrone

And Q - Final pairings

Birr vs Belmont - Belmont to progress

St Rynaghs vs Ballinamere - St Rynaghs to progress.

If they can avoid each other in the draw I still think we are looking at a Kilcormac/Killoughey vs St Rynaghs final. Which would be St Rynagh’s 9th final appearance in 11 seasons. Consistent.
Luke O Connor and Sean Dolan not there either one in America and one doing charity work

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Both have been missing for the entire championship so that’s why I discounted them.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Yeah good point. Presume they are gone for the rest of the year

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Sean Dolan is.

Luke O’Connor will probably be back.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

pigeon house biffo wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 pm It’d be good if the new hurling management was in place before the knock out rounds commence.

Surprised how quite its been on that front.
Is Sheedy not the man