League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by private joker »

I think the leagues in offaly are way off the needed standard to improve the overall standard. Between the number of walkovers I know of at least three, and Div 1 teams sending out intermediate teams rather than their first team.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Thanks

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:47 pm Must be some concern amongst senior hurling clubs that there is a possibility the SHC will be postponed if Offaly reach the Tailteann Cup Final.

Cathay Flynn (Belmont) and Dylan Hyland (Clodiagh Gaels) were named on the 26 for the New York game.

Ideal scenario - Offaly beat Westmeath, John Maughan allows the lads that hurl back to their hurling clubs for the week and after Round 1 of SHC Offaly still have 2 weeks to prepare for final.

A lot of goodwill would be forthcoming from the clubs for that. Obviously not so much if the SHC is postponed due to 2 players that aren’t on the first 15.
This issue was raised at the county board meeting last night by the Vice Chairman and it was implied that the 1st round would be delayed if Offaly beat Westmeath. By at least 3 weeks

I personally find this totally unacceptable that the 200 people (players and managements) that are eagerly looking forward to Round 1 have been told "Tough Sh1t, but this Tailteann Cup is our biggest priority". And why a football tournament should hold up the Offaly Senior Hurling Championship is another day's work.

What a rubbish way for Split Season Year 1 to play out.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:05 pm
frankthetank wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:47 pm Must be some concern amongst senior hurling clubs that there is a possibility the SHC will be postponed if Offaly reach the Tailteann Cup Final.

Cathay Flynn (Belmont) and Dylan Hyland (Clodiagh Gaels) were named on the 26 for the New York game.

Ideal scenario - Offaly beat Westmeath, John Maughan allows the lads that hurl back to their hurling clubs for the week and after Round 1 of SHC Offaly still have 2 weeks to prepare for final.

A lot of goodwill would be forthcoming from the clubs for that. Obviously not so much if the SHC is postponed due to 2 players that aren’t on the first 15.
[/quote

This issue was raised at the county board meeting last night by the Vice Chairman and it was implied that the 1st round would be delayed if Offaly beat Westmeath. By at least 3 weeks

I personally find this totally unacceptable that the 200 people (players and managements) that are eagerly looking forward to Round 1 have been told "Tough Sh1t, but this Tailteann Cup is our biggest priority". And why a football tournament should hold up the Offaly Senior Hurling Championship is another day's work.

What a rubbish way for Split Season Year 1 to play out.
Westmeath will have too much for Offaly footballers. It is odd that a football match can delay the Senior Hurling championship, but nothing surprisers me.

I hope the footballers prove me wrong.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

The Division 1 Hurling Final has been fixed for Kinnitty on Saturday June 18th between Birr and Kilcormac/Killoughey.

Unfortunately they meet again the following weekend in Round 1 of the SHC.

Birr looking for first league title since 2014.

K/K’s last league title was in 2019 (I think, open to correction here).

I don’t think there was any leagues played/finished in 2020 and Coolderry won it by defeating Shinrone in 2021 in Birr.

TerraceTalk
Intermediate

Post by TerraceTalk »

Daithi Regan walked from Shamrocks yesterday seemingly. Announced live on Off The Ball’s Twitter show. Clash with the football management by all accounts. Not ideal championship prep

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

All Senior A fixtures are fixed for Friday week at 8pm

Seir Kieran vs Belmont in Birr

Kilcormac/Killoughey vs Birr in Rath

Kinnitty vs Clodiagh Gaels in Banagher

Ballinamere vs Shinrone in Lusmagh

All Senior B Fixture on Saturday

Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Clara in Killeigh

Drumcullen vs Birr in Kinnitty

Lusmagh vs Tullamore in Kilcormac

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:00 am All Senior A fixtures are fixed for Friday week at 8pm

Any likely winners Frank? Clodiagh Gaels have a big opener v Kinnitty. A win there would be a big boost for their hopes of staying in the A competition.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Early thoughts and these are based on just 3 criteria which are far from foolproof - 1) 2022 league form, 2) last couple of years and 3) my gut. Ill probably have a better think next week and give my reasonings. By next week I could have changed my mind on this week's predictions:

Kilcormac / Killoughey to beat Birr

Shinrone to beat Ballinamere

Seir Kieran to beat Belmont

Kinnitty to beat Clodiagh Gaels

Then in the Senior B:

Kilcormac / Killoughey to beat Clara

Tullamore to beat Lusmagh

Birr to beat Drumcullen
Last edited by frankthetank on Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

SearingDrive wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:35 pm
frankthetank wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:00 am All Senior A fixtures are fixed for Friday week at 8pm

Any likely winners Frank? Clodiagh Gaels have a big opener v Kinnitty. A win there would be a big boost for their hopes of staying in the A competition.
If Clodiagh Gaels beat Kinnitty they will be Senior A in 2023

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Why or why do all the senior A fixtures have to be played at the same time?
Why not have a double header??

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Carrig & Riverstown won the Div 4 league tonight, beating Tullamore by 2 points, retaining the cup they won last year. Their intermediates are in the Div 3 final this weekend, which they also won last year. I heard the reason there was no teams promoted from the leagues last year was due to covid , but championship winning teams were promoted. Doesn’t make sense to me. Anyone any information on this ?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Hasselhoff wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 pm Why or why do all the senior A fixtures have to be played at the same time?
Maximise revenue is one reason I'd say.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Birr beat kk last night 2-17 to 19 pts in Div1 league final.

Sets up a very interest first round next weekend. There won't be much in it going by what was on show last night.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Because they are on a Friday evening. And a club's Senior team need to play at least once before the club's Intermediate amd/or Junior team can take the field.
Hasselhoff wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:30 pm Why or why do all the senior A fixtures have to be played at the same time?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.