League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
frankthetank
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by frankthetank »

Onionbag wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:51 pm I think Belmont and Rynaghs will top groups.

Luke O Connor due back from America for Rynagh's will be big boost to them.

Shinrone could surprise everyone and make a final....
If Belmont win the group can you see Shinrone winning TWO knockout games to make the final?

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Could see them bear Birr in a 1/4 and potentially Belmont in a semi

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

I also think they’d beat Birr but wouldn’t be convinced they’d have enough to overcome KK / St Rynaghs / Belmont in a semi final.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Good win for Birr last in u20 with CRC coming up just short in the other semi.

In relation to the senior its very open I think shinrone beat belmont and reach the semi final.
Birr to beat belmont in the QF and Ballinamere to give kk loads of it in the other Qf
That will leave banagher kk birr shinrone in the semis

Dunga
Junior B

Post by Dunga »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 am Good win for Birr last in u20 with CRC coming up just short in the other semi.

In relation to the senior its very open I think shinrone beat belmont and reach the semi final.
Birr to beat belmont in the QF and Ballinamere to give kk loads of it in the other Qf
That will leave banagher kk birr shinrone in the semis
Thought Luke Nolan and Lochlann Quinn were very good for Birr last night, especially when it was tight at the end Nolan powered them over the line. They'll give K/K a right good game in the final. Young Dan Ravenhill was the best on the field but Ballinamere/Durrow relied on him a bit too much I thought.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

From what I heard last night Kk are there to be bet. Their bench made the difference. Crc didn’t have many options to bring on. Considering Kk were heavy favourites to win last night it was a great performance from Crc just falling short. The final should be a good game

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

Genuine question here , why does a lot of people rate shinrone so highly? Yet year on year they never look close to winning it.
I can't remember them winning a huge amount underage compared to kk for example.
Yes they have nice hurlers but like all the other teams but what are people seeing that has them talked about so much as potential winners every year on this forum?

Not a dig btw

DannyBoyCane
Junior C

Post by DannyBoyCane »

agree with that hamstrings, they dont have the minerals to get the job done

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:31 am
Birr to beat belmont in the QF
Birr have to beat Kinnitty first. Not a forgone conclusion.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

If Birr hurl to their ability they win comfortable that's in my opinion.

Hurling123
Junior C
Club: Birr

Post by Hurling123 »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 pm If Birr hurl to their ability they win comfortable that's in my opinion.
Personally think Kinnitty will do it. Birr aren’t looking great at all this year and Kinnitty have a never say die attitude

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

They won the league.
Lost to kk by 1 point in dreadful conditions.
Played awful v Rynaghs
Beat CG by 10 points.

Not sure how you figured that one out considering they were bad in only one game.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Why do I rate Shinrone? Because I have seen them do incredible things. Trouble for them is that those incredible things come in group games and not when knockout comes around. Which is usually quarter-finals.

It’s actually frustrating, because there’s some great volunteers there. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that their issue is a psychological one, as opposed to anything to do with their hurling. And if this can be addressed, Shinrone will be successful.

I wouldn’t agree they haven’t won a huge amount at underage. U21 winners in 2013, 2014 and 2016, finalists last year, Minor winners in 2013, finalists in 2005, 2009 and 2012, U16 winners in 2008 and 2017, finalists in 2006, 2011, 2012 and last year (U15), U14 winners in 2010, 2014, 2015 & 2019 (U13). So they’ve been prominent, and probably more prominent than any other club in south and west Offaly, certainly more than any other rural club.

That their second team has won Junior A championships in 2009, 2012 and 2018, and won Intermediate in 2020 suggests interest and participation levels are strong, and they have consistently fielded a third team too.

Their performance against Coolderry in 2019 was a superbly dominant display of modern hurling, their touch and movement sublime, and when they play like that, you think they should be challenging Ballyhale for Leinster club honours. Which is why the manner of their subsequent quarter-final flop against Birr was such a disappointment. And the manner of 2016’s quarter-final collapse against Kinnitty was just bizarre

I haven’t seen much of them since Covid, but they were marvellous for 15 minutes against Coolderry in the group game last year, before losing their way. And 15 minutes will win you nothing.

Looking at their team so far this year, Éamonn Cleary is a good ball player in goals, Darren Crean, Joe Cleary, Dan Doughan, Darren O’Meara and Michael Cleary are all leaders in their own right, all with a decade of experience in defence, while Dara Maher is a former Offaly U20 with a Fitzgibbon medal. I haven’t seen Luke Watkins, but he’s played underage for Offaly. Seán Cleary, Dónal Morkan and Jason Sampson have played in attack for over a decade now, while Killian Sampson is a hurler I’ve huge admiration for. Adrian Cleary’s mobility is a huge asset in attack. I wonder why Conor Doughan hasn't been lining out though - they won't win anything without him on the field.

Coolderry have had a huge Indian sign over them for, well, a hundred years or more, so it’s a massive thing for Shinrone to have got the win over the men in green, even if they relied on good fortune with a referee missing a Coolderry ‘advantage’ and the ball ending up in the net. It’s just Shinrone’s fourth time to beat Coolderry in Senior championship hurling (1960 semi-final, 2000 and 2019 are the others).

I'm not sure I've mentioned them as potential winners, but I certainly am guilty of over-rating them at times. Which is why quarter-final defeats in 2016 and 2019 were such a let down. At the moment it’s very much in Shinrone’s hands. Their final group game against Belmont will be the ‘tie of the round’, even if Birr v Kinnitty is effectively an ‘eighth-final’. You couldn't depend on them. We’ll wait and see.
hamstrings wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm Genuine question here , why does a lot of people rate shinrone so highly? Yet year on year they never look close to winning it.
I can't remember them winning a huge amount underage compared to kk for example.
Yes they have nice hurlers but like all the other teams but what are people seeing that has them talked about so much as potential winners every year on this forum?

Not a dig btw
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

POTH, what a synopsis. Top class!

You mentioned Luke Watkins. Just a quick note.

He transferred into Shinrone this year under controversial circumstances. Huge disappointment in Ballyskenagh/Killavilla over it.

2016 was farcical, 2017 was inevitable.

The worst of all was the Q-Final vs Birr in OCP circa 2018/2019. Words fail me on that one.

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Jesus POTH you mentioned certain players there that are very average club hurlers you make them out to be top class inter county hurlers.
There is a reason they have lost big matches and I agree psychologically is one factor but the other one is they are just not that good.
I expect them to beat an average Belmont team but I I expect them to fall at the semi final stage also.