League & Championship hurling 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Hasselhoff
All Star

Re: League & Championship hurling 2022

Post by Hasselhoff »

Sorry I forgot about that.
Hopefully for the next few rounds that won't happen.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Offaly GAA trying to erase the memory of Clodiagh Gaels' annus horribilis in Senior hurling in 2017.

https://offaly.gaa.ie/2022/06/21/start- ... pionships/

Edit - The article has now been changed as to reflect the fact that is not CG's first year in the Senior Championship.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Was in Lusmagh this evening. Very high quality game between Ballinamere and Shinrone.. Draw a fair result. Ballinamere may feel they left it behind.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Was it not raining in Lusmagh? Holy jesus there was a case to be made for the match in rath to be called off.

Not sure how many scores came from play but at times it felt like a free contest. Felt sorry for the players from both sides hard to read much from the game.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 pm Was it not raining in Lusmagh? Holy jesus there was a case to be made for the match in rath to be called off.

Not sure how many scores came from play but at times it felt like a free contest. Felt sorry for the players from both sides hard to read much from the game.
Difficult conditions certainly, but I have to say I enjoyed the game and came away thinking to myself that I'd expect both teams to make a semi-final later in the year. KK will re-introduce the Geraghtys when they get back from travelling and will be a much better team when they do, while there's a bit of depth in Birr now, much more so than there has been for a while. Also, I think Watkins and Nolan scored just a single point between them, but they'll do a lot more damage as the year goes on, both looked very sharp.

Birr definitely the value bet for the championship from what I can see, and I've had the opposite view on them for the last few years.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Yeah I think Birr will be in final.. Think may be year or two too early for KK..

Rynaghs will be tested without luke O Connor who's gone to New York for the summer..

It's very hard to call

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

With the excitement of the buildup to the All Ireland minor final Round 1 of the SHC kind of took place under the radar.

Belmont fell over the line versus Clareen thanks to 1-11 out of 1-13 from David Nally. Overall they were marginally the better team but the first half will be one both teams will want to forget. Oisin Kelly’s return cant come quick enough for Belmont.

Birr and K/K was a physical battle which came down to a battle of free taking. Still think K/K are championship favourites

Kinnitty’s performance levels improved in the 2nd half to earn an ultimately comfortable win over Clodiagh Gaels. Cant see Gaels winning a game (or coming close in their 3 remaining group games) and a direct return to Senior B looks very likely.

Shinrone will be the happier than Ballinamere with the draw as they had some injuries.

This weekend I’ll go with:

St Rynaghs over Birr
Kilcormac/Killoughey over Clodiagh Gaels
Ballinamere over Clareen
Coolderry over Belmont.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

only getting on here now, Rynaghs beat Birr by 11, (couldnt make any of tonights games) Eoghan Cahill scored 1-11 of Birrs 2-11 and Rynaghs had 10 different scorers in their 1-25 total.

Clodiagh Gaels almost shocked KK by sounds of it, and led hansomely at one stage only to lose by a point, a tough tough loss for Clodiagh Gaels indeed.

Tomorrow games Coolderry have their 1st outing against Belmont who pipped Clareen in 1st game 2 weeks ago, its hard to say will that game bring on Belmont apparently first half was poor stuff and second half competitive while not great either..hard to know what Coolderry will bring this year, surely wounded after last years final late defeat, I think they might just have too much for Belmont..Coolderry 2-17 Belmont 0-16

Ballinamere V Seir Keiran - the latter lost out a scrappy game to Belmont by 1 the last day, Ballinamere drew with Shinrone in fairly high scoring game as such - it would sound like Ballinamere have enough scoring power to see off Seir Kieran, but ya never know. I think this could be another draw possibly Ballinamere 2-15 Seir Kieran 2-15..I just like throwing a score on the game to see normally how far I am out :P

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Banagher hammered Birr. Birr hardly scored from play.

K/K beat Clodaigh Gaels by a point. On top of 20 wides!!!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 pm Was it not raining in Lusmagh? Holy jesus there was a case to be made for the match in rath to be called off.

What can you read from last night’s game?

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

I was surprised with two things....rumours of Banagher been finished and not going well - which didn't seem true.

Also how poor Birr were they might count themselves lucky if they do reach a qf going on last night's performance.

I would suggest going back to Paul cleary and Sean Ryan to start as some younger lads are not ready yet.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Clara gave a walkover in the junior B championship today. Anyone know if they have pulled out of the competition altogether? There is a bad history of teams pulling out of that competition and it makes a joke of the whole thing

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Onionbag wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:03 pm Yeah I think Birr will be in final.. Think may be year or two too early for KK..

Rynaghs will be tested without luke O Connor who's gone to New York for the summer..

It's very hard to call
How is that panning out ?? 😂

greenairfield
All Star

Post by greenairfield »

Qfs will be

Birr v Ballinaere
Belmont v kk

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Is it group winners into semi final and 2nd & 3rd into quarter finals ?