Huring back in Birr

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Huring back in Birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think it is great to see hurling back down in Birr against the big teams.

Fair play to Mick Duginan and co for realising that it will benefit the promotion of games throughout the county by having some matches in Birr. Hopefully Offaly give a good performance against one of the best teams in the country.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Huring back in Birr

Post by Tmacmahon »

should be some atmosphere this weekend in Birr

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

You’d have to fear the worst for Sunday. I’d be surprised if it’s under a 15 point defeat. But these games should stand to the lads come Championship. They should all learn a lot

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Bit of a massacre in birr at the moment.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Just me or is the field cutting up something shocking? Looks like every time someone turns quickly they a big sod of turf moves under their feet. Not having a go, just asking.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Very tough under foot. Heavy ground conditions

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Game went pretty much as expected. Gulf in class very evident from early on. Rte reported 3 to 4 k at match which was good .
Will be hard to retain players if league structures remain the same next year.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Looks like someone built a treehouse or the beginnings of a July 12th bonfire in front of the Cork radio commentators. :mrgreen:

Bord na Mona man
All Star

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Short term pain will be required. Cork were All Ireland finalists last year. They could be there again this year. We are at a whole different level. Learning is better than standing still. These games will stand to us in prep for Joe McDonagh Cup as it did Westmeath last year. We are just out of Christy Ring. We need to be realistic and support the players. Hopefully we can give one or both of Wexford and Clare a closer game.
jimbob

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

If only we had a facility in the county that could properly cater for TV cameras/commentators, radio commentators and an assortment of printed press. :mrgreen:
The huge crowd never materialised, there was as many from Cork up at it than our own supporters but thats nothing new regardless of where they play
I see now our hurling team have adapted the same approach as the footballers of having no forwards inside the opposition 45 for large periods of the game.......regardless of the code that tactic makes life extremely difficult.
They need to keep the heads up and keep going, there's no other option. Everybody is doing their best regardless of what anyone of us thinks. I've nothing but the height of respect for any lad putting on the jersey and putting himself through the slog.
I left today worried about Offaly but even more worried about the teams we bet last year by 30pts!!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

bracknaghboy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:15 pm
If only we had a facility in the county that could properly cater for TV cameras/commentators, radio commentators and an assortment of printed press. :mrgreen:
Ha, well I don't see the harm in a portion of games moving around the county, in both sports.
But don't come at me with the Birr mythology that doesn't stand up to any basic fact checking.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

As we expected this was a serious baptism of fire for Offaly.
This was Cork who put on a rip roaring show in the best game of the year last year against Kilkenny in the All Ireland semi. Eventually they ran the Cats ragged.

The pace of the game was a big step and Offaly will have seen straight up first hand what has needed.
After the initial shock of the early goals, Offaly managed to get up and running and put together a few decent passages of play.
Handling errors and under hit passes when in possession will be a problem. Without the ball maybe they could be more aggressive in going into contact on the ball carrier instead of shadowing.

Offaly will learn and improve. Let's not lose faith.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Big games like this should be in Tullamore where they can cater properly for tv cameras & media. That scaffolding is an awful eyesore. Don’t get me wrong , the atmosphere in Birr can be a lot better than Tullamore at times but the facilities are nowhere near as good. That aside I think that game played out the way most thought it would. You’d just hope the players and back room team took some positives away. I don’t see it getting much easier in the rest of the games but I’m sure the players are relishing the opportunity to test themselves against the very best.

seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Post by seany123 »

This was a Cork team operating in third gear, if they didn't think they were the Harlem Globetrotters at times, they would have crucified us altogether. Thank god the pitch cut up so bad, can you imagine playing them in Pairc Ui Chaoimh or Tullamore. Offaly were so tactically naive it was scary, playing a sweeper who never felt the weight of the ball, while the full forward line spent most of the game 45 yards out, allowing Cork go back to their keeper as much as they liked. The gulf between the big boys and the Inbetweeners which is where we stand is scary and hard to see it ever being closed. Even if we win Joe McDonagh which please god we will, Liam McCarthy will be a very unforgiving playground! We do though have a Co. Minor team this year who could go close to winning an All Ireland (thanks to great work having been done through the dev squads all the way up and clubs especially kilcormac killoughey), and that could be our greatest hope for 2022 and beyond.