Club Camogie Question

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
llkj
All Star

Club Camogie Question

Post by llkj »

Great to see 2 Offaly clubs in the Leinster finals this year. A quick question for those who may know.

With Rynaghs and Raharney having won the 2020 All Irelands at their grades, why are they still playing at the same grade level again this year? In the mens game, that would push the county reps into the higher tier for the coming season, does it not work like that in Camogie or was it a logistical thing with a tight turnaround time between 2020 and 2021 club championships? I am sure that this Rynaghs team would have loved a shot at senior, having already conquered Intermediate.

Either way, best of luck to both teams.

frankthetank
All Star

Re: Club Camogie Question

Post by frankthetank »

To the best of my knowledge you have to win All Ireland's back to back to gain promotion.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That's my understanding too.
frankthetank wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 pm To the best of my knowledge you have to win All Ireland's back to back to gain promotion.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Interesting. Thanks for that. Some high bar just to get promoted. Win an all-Ireland 2 years on the trot. By the time you have that done, your team are probably gone off the boil a little, as it if very hard to ask a club to do that year in year out.

seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Post by seany123 »

Congrats Michaela Morkham on a super career, and thanks for all your efforts, a player that would make any team in any County and grace any pitch!

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

To the best of my knowledge you have to win All Ireland's back to back to gain promotion.
The Lord Jayz, that is some joke, but doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

seany123 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:45 am Congrats Michaela Morkham on a super career, and thanks for all your efforts, a player that would make any team in any County and grace any pitch!
What a Player and what leader. Offaly are going to miss her.
Congrats to Michaela.
“Common sense is not so common.”

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Rynaghs with another hammering yesterday. Way too good for this level and should be a grade higher. Don't why they are not when the county team is Div 1 league and championship. Hopefully they win it out and then compete in the grade they belong in.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Think that is 4 in a row now, which is fair going. Definitely a huge shame that they are not up at senior level. Absolutely no reason why they shouldn’t be senior already or certainly next year, even if they don’t win the All Ireland again.
Congrats and best of luck for semi final.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Well done Rynaghs. Back to back all irelands is a great achievement.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

St Rynagh's 5-14 Salthill-Knocknacarra 2-6

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Back to back All-Irelands is indeed a great achievement, and I congratulate all involved on the neighbours’ successful conclusion to a mammoth campaign.

Because this was no ordinary two in a row. This, first and foremost, involved two campaigns virtually rolled into one, with ten matches over 15 weekends. A full-time team wouldn’t have to do it. And I don’t recall hearing a word of complaint. Still, in the whirlwind, it’s been the time of their lives and is something they will recall fondly for the rest of their lives.

The All-Ireland campaign was microwaved as follows:

27 November: beat Rathnure 6-15 to 2-7 in Rathnure
4 December: Beat Myshall 0-15 to 0-11 in Myshall
11 December: beat Celbridge 2-9 to 1-4 in Clane
19 December: beat Eglish 3-15 to 1-3 somewhere in Cavan
8 January: beat Galltír 1-11 to 0-10 in Thurles
22 January: beat Celbridge 9-12 to 0-4 in Celbridge
29 January: beat Barrow Rangers 1-12 to 3-4 at home
5 February: beat Myshall 6-8 to 1-5 in Kinnegad
19 February: beat Galltír 2-11 to 1-11 in Nenagh
6 March: beat Salthill-Knocknacarra 5-14 to 2-6 in Croke Park.

With an itinerary like that, it’s a good job they are sponsored by Mikey Boylan and the buses. They hardly had a Christmas. Not that anyone had, but St Rynagh’s were playing on each of the four pre-Christmas weekends.

I didn’t get to see the match on TV yesterday, but it’s good to see an Offaly team control a game from the start, dictate the terms and make it count on the scoreboard. Rynagh’s were under pressure to put the two back to back, to gain Senior status for the Offaly champions but they went about the job in a business like manner.

Driven by the 2019 and 2020 defeats to Galltír, the Croke Park one a sore fall. And, if TG4 ever put together another series of Laochra Gael, na comhlintí, St Rynagh’s v Galltír 2019 – 2022 will surely have to feature. It’s also credit to Mark and Molly – with strong Lusmagh and Clareen connections – and their preparation that enabled them perform with such consistency throughout a challenging campaign and that had them at peak performance at the very end of that campaign.

I make it 22 straight wins for St Rynagh’s, between domestic, Leinster and All-Ireland championships since that galling Galltír defeat (unfortunate pun not intended) in February 2020, just before the lockdown. And it is positive that some of their closest encounters have been from within Offaly. The 2-18 to 2-17 group win over Shinrone in 2020 appears on paper to be a classic, as does the 3-16 to 4-9 Final in over the same opposition later that year. Birr scored 2-13 against St Rynagh’s in 2021’s county final, a tally no opposition has posted against them outside of Offaly.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Congratulations to team and management on a brilliant performance yesterday. Back to backs are rare in any code and it’s a testament to them in achieving it.

Hope they enjoy their well deserved celebrations. Great to see it on tv and Croke park too.
Doon exile....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:12 pm To the best of my knowledge you have to win All Ireland's back to back to gain promotion.
I had this discussion with someone after the game on Sunday, and he would be fairly upto speed, he said you have to win 2 All Irelands (not back to back though we went into that part of the debate) and there are two sides to the debate...number 1 - who is going to win back to back All Ireland - yes teams like Ryanghs Camogie are a fine side but no guarantee and a huge ask to win back to back All Irelands in any code - I am doubtful if back to back titles are the criteria for promotion to Senior. Secondly, if you win the 2nd one be it back to back or 15 years time - then you get promoted the second year. This too does not sit right with me either. If you win one every 3 years you cant get promoted going by that logic - you will get teams who are just one offs and will come and go and therefore never get promoted. The winning two over a time (not back to back) sounds a tad fairer than expecting a team to win back to back to win promotion - but sounds strange too - sure there would'nt be much promotions up to senior if that was the case - who in all fairness will win back to backs in any code as I said earlier - some will but not many and seldom over all. Winning one now and one in years to come sounds a bit more fairer and in ways. I think both systems are unfair to be honest, if you win the competition your in be it junior or intermediate - then up you go. I am wondering was there some stalling with promotion due to covid or something - did they leave the structures as was maybe?...I dont know..but I heard many saying after Sundays game "oh they won back to back now they get promoted" and surely to God that cant be right or fair..thats a huge ask and the tiers wont change too often if that is the case..very few teams would be relegated too to intermediate if that was the case - again unfair and Ide say many would agree...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

The reason for it is that some teams don't want to go up. Rynaghs handed some serious beatings against teams that win their respective County championships regularly enough. They won't be of the standard of senior A. It will be interesting to see how rynaghs goes. To be honest, they will do well to win a game outside of offaly such is the standard. Its very tough. Ourlart hammered the munster champions. 2 11 to 2 points.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I assume that the rule is 'if a club from a particular county wins 2 All-Irelands then that county's representative will be up to senior the following year'. This definitely makes sense as you don't want a county hanging around intermediate winning it every year but refusing to go up. Also, you don't want a situation where one club gets a good run one year, but in reality they or any other club team from that county are not up to the standard required for the senior grade.

Good that the Offaly rep gets a shot at senior next year to see how they do stack up. May need a couple of years to find their feet. You would love to see Rynaghs get a shot at it, but that's not to say they are guaranteed anything in Offaly.