Club Camogie Question

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Club Camogie Question

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ah I think to win two back to back All Irelands is certainly enough to qualify them as most definitely competitive at Senior level, I would have no doubt about that..a one all ireland win and straight up would certainly be a more difficult ask to step up but this group are exceptional I think would put it up to any of the top teams (may not win but wouldnt be trounced either)..I think the back to back thing to win to go up to senior is incorrect...its misunderstood..as I say sure there wouldnt be much or any promotions then if that was the case and the original post question.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The first thing is that the ten wins outside Offaly that Rynagh’s have racked up since winning the county final last October, and the way the team has developed over the course of that run, has probably seen them kick on to a new plane. Still, there’s always the chance on any given day that Shinrone or Birr would be capable of turning them over.

The Leinster Senior club championship has seen three entrants in recent years (the champions of Dublin, Kilkenny and Wexford). And while recent Kilkenny Intermediate champions (Gowran) made the 2021 quarter-finals, on the other hand the 2020 Wexford Intermediate champions Rathnure reached 2021’s Senior final. There they were beaten 3-13 to 1-4 by Oulart, while a few weeks later St Rynagh’s beat Rathnure 6-15 to 2-7 in Leinster. And while @private_joker pointed out, Oulart hammered Munster champions Scariff, how would Gailltír fare in the Munster Senior competition? Arguably quite well, they have enough leaders in the shape of Waterford Senior county players.

Another factor in St Rynagh’s favour recently was that there were no LGFA club fixtures during the 15 weeks of their run. That’s a factor that’ll return next year, and St Rynagh’s would be hampered if either themselves or Naomh Ciarán were in Leinster LGFA action.

I got to look at the St Rynagh’s v Salthill final on the Player. Really impressed with St Rynagh’s. It is quite the achievement to produce their peak performance at the end of such a campaign. But the use of the ball, generally taking the right option (whether to strike or to run) was really brilliant. And the handling of some of the long cross-field passes was exemplary. It’s hard to establish from TV what the shape of the forwards was, but the plan seemed to be to make room for Kate Kenny inside. Yet Kenny was never left isolated. And given that Linda Sullivan and Siobhán Flannery spent as much time outside the ’45 as inside, I can’t tell who else was close to goal. Perhaps there were three lines of two? Or they alternated. And that’s before the attacking half-backs and the covering midfielders. Salthill didn't know where the next ball was going to come from, or the next run. So massive credit to the Dunnes. Máiréad Daly's energy was a big factor, full of running, they might have won in 2020 had she been available.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Match tomorrow , birr vs St vincents moved to faithful fields.