National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by Fairplayalways »

ask someone like Brian Cody or Mickey Harte or Jack O'Connor that question.yes I know we dont have the players these counties have but we have our best 15 whatever that consists of so be in...we have some good subs too from what I see...is that what we are doing putting out a team and hoping it will be enough and then if not send in the troops...and if we are 5 or 6 points down then the job is litterally irrepairable with teams pulling all back behind the ball to defend what they have..but I suppose thats what we do most of all games anyway..restricting damage...we need to hit the ground running on Sunday..not be wondering how good Cork might or might not be and then see...

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

private joker wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:10 pm Which is better, start with your best 15 or finish with your best 15?
I'd suggest finish with best 15 - but, and it is a big but. You can only afford to do that if the lesser team is capable of having you in the game with 20 minutes to go. Otherwise it is a pointless exercise.

So in Offaly's case, I think it is best they go out as strong as they can and go as hard as they can for as long as they can and see where it takes them. Hopefully it'll be good enough. We are up against it though.
jimbob

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

well if I ever read a contradictory statement I just have...we can go with "not our best 15" on Sunday and see where that gets us..bring on the cavalry then for the last 20 minutes and we will be gallant losers who played so well to "try and get back into the game but it just wasn't enough" etc. etc...I cant believe we are even having this discussion for such an important game..if you think about it if we dont start our strongest team (and that is absolutely no reflection on the panel as a whole) we will be starting this crunch game the way we finished our last game V Roscommon by not having our strongest team on the pitch..anyways I wish the team and panel well on Sunday..lets go for this from the off and see how it goes..unfortunately I may stick with my prediction of a Cork win...I just cannot see us scoring frequently enough to win..if we dont start our best 15 then I think we will lose for sure..anyway..all the best..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Offaly team to face Cork tomorrow in Tullamore@
https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1 ... 36/photo/1

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Well fuck it anyway

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Heartbreaking

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Silly error at end by goalkeeper, gives Cork a win. Offaly led going into added time. Disappointing end for footballers, after tremendous display.
Laz Molloy critical of overly defensive style.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:00 pm Silly error at end by goalkeeper, gives Cork a win. Offaly led going into added time. Disappointing end for footballers, after tremendous display.
Could you explain how it was a silly mistake by Paddy Dunican?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

soft goal v meath was a killer.and general error v cork. not any way paddy dunicans fault.. just naivity. div 3 wont be easy get out of it next year and tallitan cup awaits.. bad weekend

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

First of all hard luck, a great effort put in and with the exception of the Clare game there was nothing between the rest of the Division 2 teams but results just didnt go their way ( not counting in the 2 promoted teams and Derry)

The one thing that we need is midfield, from throw ins today and last week at the start of each half we lost 4/4 and think we conceded 3 points in total before we even touched the ball.

As a poster said Division 3 wont be easy and it wont not with Cavan and Tipp in also. I think if we stayed up we could have retained Division 2 next year with Limerick and Louth going up.

Keep the heads up and the training for the Wexford game and then hopefully the Dubs in OCP.

Just an additional note its a joy watching Niall McNamee, a shame he wasnt 10 years younger but what a leader for the new lads on panel, Declan Hogan was also immense.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Maybe my definition of defensive football is different to everybody else's, and if it is, then that's okay, but I didn't see much defensive football today.

And if seeking to retain possession from your own kickout and move it through overlapping runners, and not kicking it away to the opposition is defensive, then defensive football is quite acceptable.

Massive massive second half by Offaly, and one I for one didn't see coming at half-time. Kicked some savage scores, played some beautiful ball, won some massive turnovers. Niall McNamee was close to his best, and Anton Sullivan was class too. Just a pity they couldn't hold on.
SearingDrive wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:00 pm Silly error at end by goalkeeper, gives Cork a win. Offaly led going into added time. Disappointing end for footballers, after tremendous display.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Nothing to be ashamed of. Offaly while short some key men this year have made a step up.
I would target promotion from Div 3 as a minimum target next year. We have some experienced campaigners due to come back and some young players starting to make the breakthrough.

Offaly played some great stuff at times today and maybe at times some more streetwise-ness was needed. That will come over time.
The mix up at the end with the backpass was unfortunate. Chances are the ref would not have copped, but Dunican was left in a difficult bind.

Also, Cork's 19th point came from what looked a bad call against Keith O'Neill for over carrying with Offaly on the attack. Fine margins.

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Immense performance from Offaly today. I'm not sure what Laz Molloy was referring to by ' defensive football' apart from the fact that at times Niall was operating on his own in the full forward line. That was the best exhibition of score taking I've seen from an Offaly team in years. Apart from that what was most encouraging was that a number of guys showed real leadership.

Despite today's result, which means demotion to Division 3, I'm very optimistic about the future of Offaly football. With more of our missing players back and the Under 20s continuing to progress I see no reason why we can't be challenging for Leinster honours in a couple of years' time.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

we were very unlucky today...very unfair blaming Paddy Dunican at end, it was the defender kicked the ball at an angle back to him, we were level at the time anyway so the draw was still no use to us anyway (not making excuses)..it reminds me of the Thierry Henry handall against Ireland the time..the Irish were all up in arms "he done us out of going the world cup"...it didnt actually, if it was dissallowed as it should have been, Ireland still would have had to play out the extra time and score orto beat France or beat them on penalties (what I am saying is there was no guarantees) It was 1-1 when Henry handballed.
Dunician was left in a very awkward position with the kick back to him, and as we all know and have done, when presented with an unsusual situation we all have made the wrong decision (easy say it from sideline or our sitting room couch) but Dunican didnt know what to do with it and unfortunately tried to let it out but it wasnt gone...a horrible way to lose the game, but as I said, a draw was no use to us either way...
Unless we make a Leinster final, I am strangely looking forward to the Tailteann Cup...I think we can give this a decent shot with the so called big teams of Cavan and Tipperary in there too..hard luck today, i thought we played as postive a game as we could and scoring 1-20 is probably our best tally in a long long time and in a big game too..roll on the summer...Division 3 next season and so be it...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

was just looking ahead to Division 3 next season: Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Antrim, Cavan, Down, Fermanagh, Tipperary. No givens in there at all, it will be very competitive which is good.