National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by Fairplayalways »

Just said I post this, I know score predicaitons are litterally a lottery in ways with most teams being up and down players and wet pitches and what have you, but it just adds a bit of interest having a stab at the scores too

Allianz Football League Division 2 round 1
Clare v Offaly, Cusack Park, Ennis, 2pm - call me biased but I think Offaly are very consistent under John Maughan andthe bounce from u20 AI win should get Offaly off to a win, be it away in Ennis. Offaly 1-14, Clare 0-13
Galway v Meath, Pearse Stadium, 2pm - a trick game for Galway at home, how are Meath after the winter - Galway 1-12 Meath 0-12
Roscommon v Cork, Dr Hyde Park, 2pm - Roscommon will have a bounce with Pearses doing so well but are without their players - Cork are a team that just need to deliver - a win here - Cork 2-12 Roscommon 1-11
Derry V Down , Owenbeg (Saturday) - the hardest game to call possibly - Derry 0-15 Down 0-14

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: National Foothall league Div 2 predictions

Post by BiffoInThurso »

I’d be rather more cautious regarding Clare. Consistently playing at a higher level and have gave some very good teams ie mayo and kerry plenty to think about in recent seasons. Apart from a provincial game against meath we can’t really say the same and took a huge beating against derry who are very clearly a div 2 or higher team. Offaly could win, and will need to realistically target this game along with the roscommon and meath games as opportunities to pick up points. Will they? Who knows.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Offaly by 4 , this is a very important game for us

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Clare have maintained their place in Division 2 since promotion in 2016. Offaly will do well to get a draw here, we scored about 15 points in the O’Byrne Cup games. Clare by 3 points.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Lets get a discussion going. Defensively I think we look strong.
Attachments
3447BFB6-16F1-454C-B090-5013BC2E7A91.jpeg
3447BFB6-16F1-454C-B090-5013BC2E7A91.jpeg (233.14 KiB) Viewed 23931 times

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

correct me if I am wrong would david dempsey not be one of the first names on the team sheet ?

also where is the young man from kilkormac who was on the u20s cant thing of his name he was brilliant.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Dempsey is injured

Cathal donoghue would have been starting for me, hes from KK

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Don't think Dempsey or O' Donoghue played with NUIG in Sigerson due to injury. If Dempsey fit, he starts in my opinion. Donoghue on back of last year also worth a shot but it is still a learning process for him.

Donnelly an interesting one. Small in stature but a good club footballer even if he rarely stands out. What I like about him is he does simple things well and plays better or at least seems to play better with better players around him. He is quick and intelligent and he has done quite well last year when introduced. Prob 22 or 23 at this stage, its his time to be tried out.

Interesting to see Niall Darby at corner back. Good in possession but not sure he has raw pace for there. More natural fit at 7 perhaps and Cian Donoghue ore used to corner?

Midfielders have good bit of experience now and heading towards their prime. With Carroll and Cunningham gone, both are central players now.

Interesting to see how Hyland does going straight in at 12. Good year for Raheen but it's a big step up.

Bill Carroll is a real gem of a player and will be mainstay on team for next 10 years you would hope. No longer the new lad so he needs to drive things on now.

Expect Allen and Bryant to play inside with Mcnamee drifting out around 45 and play as a second centre forward or roving role. Bryant has been talked up a lot for a young lad and has talent but will be watched man on Sunday and through league. Huge step up from u20 and hope it goes well for him.

Subs interesting too with lots of new lads with some older heads.

Offaly will do well to get a result but are capable of doing so.
jimbob

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

In fairness to donnelly, hes a mainstay on a very good fitzgibbon team

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:32 pm In fairness to donnelly, hes a mainstay on a very good fitzgibbon team
Fitzgibbon??

I thought he did well v Dublin
Doon exile....

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

I meant sigerson, he's the ul full back

pigeon house biffo
All Star
Club: Rynagh

Post by pigeon house biffo »

I think a huge thing in any case is that we are finally getting lads playing football in third level education. if you look at Galway, donegal and other such teams, the likes of NUIG and LYIT are filled with players from these counties. It will be interesting to track offalys progress against the number of lads we have playing 3rd level year on year.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Pretty good interview with John Maughan in Examiner. Importance of moving with the Times and learning from the past.
Most be doing a very good job when you only have 8 players turning up for the first team meeting to where they are now.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

private joker wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:54 pm Pretty good interview with John Maughan in Examiner. Importance of moving with the Times and learning from the past.
Most be doing a very good job when you only have 8 players turning up for the first team meeting to where they are now.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/arid-40795938.html
Doon exile....

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Looks like it could be a long year.