O'Byrne and Walsh cups 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: O'Byrne and Walsh cups 2022

Post by BiffoInThurso »

decent start to the year for both the hurlers and footballers.

footballers with 2 W's and a competitive loss which could have just as easily been a W.

great to see clonbullogue get the W in leinster. apart from keith o neill, is there anyone else who could come into the intercounty panel? Similarly to clara, ed cullen and colm doyle are the two i would expect to come into the fold, anyone else?

first time in a long time that there seems to be a bit of depth to the panel, i couldnt hazard a guess at what the starting 15 would be and its great to see so many young lads getting a run out. the in house games must be fantastic at the minute when everyone is fit and firing

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Anyone at either game this weekend?

2 good wins, lots of players tried out.

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

Decent showing today by hurlers. Lots of players getting game time. Corcoran had a great game in the goals. Made four or five saves during the game and puckouts accurate. We were 11/12 up when we started emptying the bench. Sampson at full forward had a really good first half. Involved in two goals, made a great run for first one, had shot saved and Nolan got rebound and was fouled 5/6 times which all resulted in scores. Leon Fox had good moments in midfield, brings physicality to that area. I like burke at full back. As I was walking in he was pestering the full forward(legally) and sliothar down the far end of field. Starting backline looked solid enough. Couldn't really fault them. Forwards worked hard and there was a purpose to their movement. We did look vulnerable at times when Antrim would string a few quick passes together around middle and lay it off to a runner. Overall be happy without getting carried away, but that's mainly taking opposition into account. Next weekend will tell a lot more, Dublin appeared to have a strong enough team out today against Galway. Be interesting to see if our management does likewise in Birr next Sunday.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Was at the game. Offaly started off very well. Played nice style of hurling and ignored the crowds pleas to " just drive it". Antrim man sent off seemed to spur on Antrim and offaly slacked off a bit. Could easily have lost as Antrim had penalty saved and had number of shots on goal thst needed to be cleared/ saved. Dublin will be a different kettle of fish.
Game is in birr?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:26 am Was at the game. Offaly started off very well. Played nice style of hurling and ignored the crowds pleas to " just drive it". Antrim man sent off seemed to spur on Antrim and offaly slacked off a bit. Could easily have lost as Antrim had penalty saved and had number of shots on goal thst needed to be cleared/ saved. Dublin will be a different kettle of fish.
Game is in birr?
Offaly played well in first half, scored 3 goals. Antrim came into game in second period, they might have won if they were a bit more accurate. Stephen Corcoran’s second half penalty save was crucial .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

watched the hurling on the stream...a good win over all, felll off alot with all the changes and thats not to say the players that came in made no impact, our scoring just dried up..the rucks (I hate this ruby terminology) were very scrappy and the difference between us and the big teams is the the ball wont be left in the ruck as long as it was yesterday, it will be lifted and got out quickly (conditions I know are a factor too this time of year)..Some decent performacnes all round, Antrim like Offaly too didnt start some of their main players, Neil McManus being the obvious one and around 6 points in second half when he came on were a sign of what they had left on the line, and he crashed one of the crossbar, blazed one or two over and Corcoran save from McManus and others, so it certainly wasnt all one way traffic..footbabllers winning as well, a good win by sounds of it (didnt see it or read reports)but Louth got a goal late on apparently to make the score more respectful...as I said on here last year, its a while since both our intercounty teams win the same weekend or day so we will take all we can get...we have a decent spine in our hurling team so have alot to work on from there..I cant see us beinng hammered in all league games, maybe one or two but not all..we are competitive and able to hurl and move the ball well, which is encouraging...

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Lot of chances given up against Antrim, particularly when McManus came on it seems.
If the weather holds up this week Birr should be fine for the game on Sunday. Might dust down the Atlas and head on over for a spin, a fine town for a game and we should have thought of this before to try hurling in Birr!

But all joking aside, we do seem to be progressing and building a panel and given that Antrim were reasonable last year and beat Wexford, hopefully we can get up to the level we will need to for the league and to stick with it to the finish and continue to get the experience necessary..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Some of the players started V Antrim I thought did very well, Paddy Clancy dealt with anything came his side and supported CB and MF well, the ball was mainly on the other wing so he did enough to impress me..Eimhin Kelly was also quiet good I thought, and showed and won alot of ball too..I wont go through each and every player but from what seen any player that started the other day V Antrim hurled well and it certainly looks good to have what is a nice pool of players in there wanting to hurl and hurling as they are being coached...dont shoot me but lord if we could get Cillian Kiely back around the middle of the park...I wish him well in his time away and hopefully he will be in a position to come back in...he has it all...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Depending on how strong Dublin field on the day , I think this could be a trimming for offaly. Dublin destroyed Galway and have far superior hurlers and physique than where offaly are at the moment. But maybe the Galway game for Dublin was the "big one" fir Dublin and they will be not as strong when coming to Birr.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Cillian Kiely was average at best when with offaly plenty of potential but I think it's fair to say he never followed through on his potential so do not think he would offer much.
that ship has sailed hopefully and no harm as I prefer to play with 15 men.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ime not related and not same club but I think thats very very unfair to say about the player..that man was the first man to litteraly fall flat on his face in the muck and wet last year when Down beat us...the man, like in most other games covered every blade of grass and was trying upto the final whistle before penalites when others had surrenedered....he hurled with his heart on his sleeve, ok he crosses the line from time to time, great players generally do., but that can be managed too I would say..I dont think you will get too many on here saying he is not worth his place on Offaly team, let alone panel...of course he is not before anyone comes on saying "no point discussing the issue as he is not on the panel"...its a topic of conversation thats all...we need a few more like him in many peoples views I would guess..your entitled to your opinion no more than myself...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

you are entitled to your opinion also but to say he is a great player is a bit much if I am being honest

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

when playing for Offaly and his club, he is mentioned in the same vein as Ben Conneely is for Rynaghs and Offaly, a leader and important player, thats good enough for me any game I seen him play in...he rarely had a poor game I seen...anyway, I dont think you will agree so as they say we will agree to to disagree..interesting to see what others might think without personalizing the matter with the chap...

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

as regards cillian kiely he is generally regarded (outside of offaly) as the best and most well known hurler offaly have. personally id agree that hes a huge loss to the offaly hurling team.