O'Byrne and Walsh cups 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

O'Byrne and Walsh cups 2022

Post by bracknaghboy »

Does anyone know if Maughan has 15 bodies for Saturday? I'm available if needed, I did 4 laps new years day and felt great after it :D

So here we go again another season starts but unfortunately it's all up in the air again.
Games could be called off at the last minute and if they do go ahead it's likely managers will have to pick from whoever is available and not at home isolating. Interestingly 11 of the the U20 football panel called in the senior set up and from what I've heard there appears to be little change to the hurling panel from last year.
Any gossip?

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: O'Byrne and Walsh cups 2022

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

again like my other post about the hurlers, some opting out for different reasons and will be big losses, 11 U20s called up, a hard job in ways trying to blend it altogether, I hope we dont start this "minding" of players like other mangers we had, most teams who win an U20 or 21 (and sometimes minor) have some of them players playing in league/championship within a couple of years...but as I say, with a relatively young team anyway, blending it together will be the job, wishing the foootballers and hurlers well, hopefully games will be alowed go ahead and we will have something to get us through the month of January for starters...Happy new year all by the way.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:19 pm again like my other post about the hurlers, some opting out for different reasons and will be big losses, 11 U20s called up, a hard job in ways trying to blend it altogether, I hope we dont start this "minding" of players like other mangers we had, most teams who win an U20 or 21 (and sometimes minor) have some of them players playing in league/championship within a couple of years...but as I say, with a relatively young team anyway, blending it together will be the job, wishing the foootballers and hurlers well, hopefully games will be alowed go ahead and we will have something to get us through the month of January for starters...Happy new year all by the way.
Happy New Year to all. By all accounts, U20s were very competitive last year so no harm to get fresh influx to squad. In fairness, many of the players that have left had minimal impact last year. Shane Kinsella moving on is probably significant as he has been one of our leaders for last few years but wasn't guaranteed starter last year even if he played most games. Both Jordan Quinn and Colm Gath, I hope are stepping away of their own accord with view to rejoining at some point in future. Think both have a lot to offer in future still.

Of the others, Egan, Watkins and Rigney are probably very late 20s early 30s and not guaranteed starters either. All have given a lot so thanks to them for effort over the years, they have left with a year where the team won 8 games and lost none and not many senior players get to say that. However, there are already young replacements there ready to play now in their positions in Joey Keenaghan and Jack Screeney of KK, not to mention a couple of more.

Exciting to see likes of Luke Nolan coming into the squad among some other young players. Conor Molloy surely is a ready made contender for the first team.

A good showing in Joe Mac is the target this year. Hopefully we make a final and getting to a final should be baseline expectation but it definitely will not be easy. In league, getting and staying competitive with the top teams will be a huge challenge for our young team. Hopefully some perspective and most importantly, positivity will be maintained when we get some results in the league that will be asking us to dig deep.
jimbob

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

agree with all you say above over all...pity Cillian Kiely isnt involved again..him and Molloy around the middle of the park would be some combination...

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Good game for the hurlers to get today, Galway with an experimental team by all accounts but good game to get before the league starts.
Someone at the game night have an insight into how we played

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

only heard a few of he radio stations and MR3 facebook live coverage and by all accounts Offaly hurled well, the second goal was a killer and Offaly faded out after that and never really threatened as such there after...10 subs used I think I heard Michael Fennelly saying so the gave the squad a full run some making debuts etc...6 point defeat is no bad result against Galway be it they had out a new team two and chopped and changed too...todays performance is a good grounding game for the team..

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

kingscounty wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:40 pm Good game for the hurlers to get today, Galway with an experimental team by all accounts but good game to get before the league starts.
Someone at the game night have an insight into how we played
It was good for this team to meet a significant step up on what they faced in last couple of years. It was for the most part a fringe Galway outfit but all had points to try and prove and their physicality and stick work is on another planet to Derry, Sligo, Wicklow and even Carlow and Kerry.

The good
-Some great link play between the half back line and midfield particularly in the first half.At time they cut through the Galway middle, something Offaly teams are generally not known for.
-Cahill was the best player on the pitch, but Offaly were over reliant on him.
- Burke is making that full back spot his own and you can see him growing game by game. He will face some serious tests in the weeks to come but it'll all stand to him.
- There was no throwing the towel in today. Even after the 2nd goal killed off the game they kept at it. A few years ago they would have fallen asunder and lost the game by 12 or 13 points. Great to see.

The not so good
- The forwards (Cahill aside) could not make that ball stick for love love nor money. Players were needing a 2nd, 3rd or 4th attempt to get the ball under control. Was it because of rustiness, the poor conditions or because of the lack of space and the Galway defenders breathing down their necks I don't know. Also generally the forwards were very disjointed......the complete opposite to last year. This will be worth keeping an eye on over the next couple of games.
- The goals were very disappointing. You have to be assertive in around your box and pounce on anything.Both when played back will prove very useful examples to the defenders.

Look, there are some difficult weeks ahead in the league. I expect Fennelly will try and stick to as settled a team throughout and be as battle hardened as possible for a relegation playoff and take from there into the Joe McDonagh.

They key here will be keeping the group together, no matter how rough the league gets. Last thing they need is 10 or 12 lads dropping off the panel at the end of the year.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

O'Byrne Cup vs Dublin was a good game. The goals being the difference and more so the timing of them.
At half time Offaly were down by two and with upcoming wind advantage it looked good.
Dublin goaled just after the restart to extend the lead to 5. Offaly did eat into the lead and got it down to a single point eventually.
Dublin shut the door with another goal late on though.

Offaly had many positives. The backs did win a good amount of turnovers and won most of the 50-50s.
Anton and Ruari McNamee look to be going well up front. Jack Bryant got a taste of the higher level and I would say he'll find his feet as the pitches dry up - OCP was very heavy yesterday. Lee Pearson also looks like he will be a useful future option in defence.

The kickouts, short and medium mostly worked out - Paddy Dunican in the first half and Ian Duffy in the 2nd.
Dunican also made some positive bursts upfield with the ball .
The big test will be against the stronger teams who get the upper hand at midfield and then push up on the short ones. Last year there were spells when Offaly were under the cosh.

In the first half the attacking was a bit slow paced. The forwards set up narrow, but often around tbe middle third Offaly players turned infield towards traffic instead of using the space on the flanks - either to send runners down there or play the ball into space.
Towards the end there were some Offaly players who looked gassed. With so many disruptions to preparations, it's another factor that counties will have to overcome.
Just like last year there isn't a a big spread of reliable scorers. Two of the best points came from backs, Ciaran Donnelly and John Moloney.

Overall Dublin used the ball that bit more efficiently and their transition from defence to attack tended to be quicker. Offaly battled gamely throughout and if the late goal was an Offaly one instead of Dublin's it wouldn't have been an undeserved win either.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:44 pm O'Byrne Cup vs Dublin was a good game. The goals being the difference and more so the timing of them.
At half time Offaly were down by two and with upcoming wind advantage it looked good.
Dublin goaled just after the restart to extend the lead to 5. Offaly did eat into the lead and got it down to a single point eventually.
Dublin shut the door with another goal late on though.

Offaly had many positives. The backs did win a good amount of turnovers and won most of the 50-50s.
Anton and Ruari McNamee look to be going well up front. Jack Bryant got a taste of the higher level and I would say he'll find his feet as the pitches dry up - OCP was very heavy yesterday. Lee Pearson also looks like he will be a useful future option in defence.

The kickouts, short and medium mostly worked out - Paddy Dunican in the first half and Ian Duffy in the 2nd.
Dunican also made some positive bursts upfield with the ball .
The big test will be against the stronger teams who get the upper hand at midfield and then push up on the short ones. Last year there were spells when Offaly were under the cosh.

In the first half the attacking was a bit slow paced. The forwards set up narrow, but often around tbe middle third Offaly players turned infield towards traffic instead of using the space on the flanks - either to send runners down there or play the ball into space.
Towards the end there were some Offaly players who looked gassed. With so many disruptions to preparations, it's another factor that counties will have to overcome.
Just like last year there isn't a a big spread of reliable scorers. Two of the best points came from backs, Ciaran Donnelly and John Moloney.

Overall Dublin used the ball that bit more efficiently and their transition from defence to attack tended to be quicker. Offaly battled gamely throughout and if the late goal was an Offaly one instead of Dublin's it wouldn't have been an undeserved win either.
Was at it too and that’s a fair reflection above. The only thing I might add is that I thought Jack Brynt did very well. Was out in front and winning ball especially in the first half. The future is bright for him and sigerson football will bring him on.
Doon exile....

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Watched some of the highlights online. 2 things stood out in the short clip. One, seemed to be very happy to take points when maybe a goal opportunity might have been on. 2. 2nd goal was terrible. No communication it seemed. But offaly score lovely points and cahill seems to be the main man in the forwards.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

True value of this month will only be seen by the middle of the league for both teams.
1. How many new players have been able to stake a claim.
2. How are our game plans in both codes evolving or coping with the significantly higher level of challenges.
3. How our players are faring out with colleges, this is a big year of participation from Offaly players and an important step for the county, particularly in the hurling.

Even so, probably from the hurling perspective, its all about handling the greater physicality and speed of the game, and being able to use posession wisely. Didn't get to either of the games over the weekend, hope to get to the Antrim game.
Also this coming weekend, a big one for both Clara and Clonbullogue with respective Leinster finals. When you look at how close Rynagh's and Tullamore came to going at least another step, plenty to be positive about.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Doon Exile wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:10 pm The only thing I might add is that I thought Jack Brynt did very well. Was out in front and winning ball especially in the first half. The future is bright for him and sigerson football will bring him on.
Yep, he looked good. When the pitches dry up he'll find it much easier to gather possession and spin away from his man.
Also with players heavily involved in Sigerson you can't over analyse their form in games like this.
The same goes for Morgan Tynan, he was taken off at half time but he seemed to be going all right, so I expect the thinking is to mind players who have been playing big games during the week days.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

In my opinion, probably as much positivity around Offaly GAA this year as there has been since Offaly reached the Leinster football Final in 06. On every front, there seems to be significant improvements from a couple of years ago. Hope this continues long into future.
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Another grand slam finish from Niall McNamee scoring 1-1 in injury time to snatch a win against Longford.
I was only following on Twitter but Offaly were ahead for a lot of the game before Longford scored 1-3 in the last few minutes to lead by a goal.

Offaly were short of even more players for this match with Sigerson involvement. There were 22 players listed on the team sheet that I saw.