Club Managers 22

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Club Managers 22

Post by jimbob17 »

So just thought I'd drop this in here as club managements evolve and change over the next while. It is definitely a topic of conversation in GAA community at the moment.

Who is staying and who is going? What are the managements for club teams in Offaly in 22. Will start with top tiers but if anyone wants to add in levels for point of discussion, work away.

Senior Hurling
Rynaghs - Assuming Ken Hogan stays for unprecedented 4 in a row?
Coolderry - Surely same management given how close they were this year.
KK - I have heard there will be change but TBC
Shinrone - made good progress in 21, surely they will continue with same management.
Birr - ???????????? Recent media has linked Brendan Bugler with Clare minors or U21s.
Ballinamere - have heard that Seamus McKeogh is retaking the reigns. Was in charge when they won intermediate 6 or 7 years ago.
Kinnity - ????????????
Belmont - Disappointing year this year. Is Ollie Baker staying on?
Clodiagh Gaels - ??????????? Have heard their successful manager this year may be stepping away?
Clareen - ???????????? Should be better than they showed in 21 I'd suggest.

Senior Football
Tullamore - No need for them to change anything i'd imagine. Phenomenal success this year across ages and teams - and solid underage system producing results currently
Rhode - ???????????? Good year - hampered by injury.
Ferbane - ??????????????? Given injuries, had a good year!
Durrow - ????????????? Assuming status quo given progress in 21?
Edenderry - ?????????? Bit of a step back this year, given all their talent. Expected more of them in 2021, especially playing a significantly weakened Ferbane outfit in knockout stages.
Shamrocks - ???????????? Appeared to make decent progress this year but not blessed with talent in comparison to other teams - though they did draw with Tullamore in 1st round.
Cappincur - ???????????? Heard nothing. Really admire this club for getting most out of themselves every year. Will struggle in 22 if Eoin Carroll does not return for club champ.
Clara - ??????????? Just up - still going in Leinster and may make final. No reason why they cannot be at business end of senior in 22. Always plenty of talent in Clara.
jimbob

Dodge83
All Star

Re: Club Managers 22

Post by Dodge83 »

You’d wonder how Birr are managing to pay Buglar and his assistants if the word on the street on how much it’s costing them is true. Also is it worth it considering they didn’t get out of the group this year ?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Maybe the word on the street is wrong?. All I heard was training was top class and player very happy with that side of things. Team set up is been questioned . Maybe a little too defensive

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Yea I did hear some players not happy with the way they played and abandoned that style of play against Rynaghs and they got a big win. But hard to know how much truth in that

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Edenderry have advertised for the senior football position.
I always feel they tend to underachieve at senior level. They may need a manger that "gets the best" out of the team as the saying goes rather than some lad that will just come in and set them up if that makes sense?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

bracknaghboy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:53 pm Edenderry have advertised for the senior football position.
I always feel they tend to underachieve at senior level. They may need a manger that "gets the best" out of the team as the saying goes rather than some lad that will just come in and set them up if that makes sense?
A John Courtney type figure, no nonsense straight talker. Then again that’s old style probably wouldn’t suit todays generation.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Good old Offaly hurling. Going to hurl like it's still the 1900s. Nice neat 3-3-2-3-3, flat full-forward line (I suppose everyone needs corner-forwards to be the first to be taken off when things are going wrong outfield) and so on.

It would be concerning if someone progressive like Bugler is to be cast aside after one year, when really it would take a number of years to implement such a radical overhaul of the way a team plays. This is not soccer. Extra defenders are not defensive. They are not 'boring'. And while I haven't seen Birr hurl in either 2020 or 2021, is there really potential for a Senior championship win in that team?

It is clear that there are hardly any progressive coaches who are native to Offaly. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. And look what Clough Ballacolla did this evening. A seventh defender used correctly to make off-the-shoulder runs and create counter attacks. A team utterly comfortable o the ball. There isn't a team in Offaly would be able to do that, and do it right. And when Kilmacud, who left space in the corners of the attack, tried to use that space, C-B's spare defender took up the right positions to make a second tackler, and did it right.

Really the only club in Offaly who are comfortable in possession is St Rynagh's, who have been playing that way since their school days with Francis Forde. And I expect them to continue to be successful in Offaly. The winning goal in the county final might be in the category of 'scrambled', but their ability and comfort in possession enabled them carry the ball from defence to opposition's square.

It's so disappointing to hear teams in this day and age being urged to 'get rid of it' and to 'drive it' and so on, as if being in possession of the ball is not to be tolerated. It betrays a lack of trust in a team's skillsets. Equally, it disappointing to hear requests for Offaly to retain the methods of the 1900s at those online meetings that are leading towards the Strategic Plan.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:14 am Good old Offaly hurling. Going to hurl like it's still the 1900s. Nice neat 3-3-2-3-3, flat full-forward line (I suppose everyone needs corner-forwards to be the first to be taken off when things are going wrong outfield) and so on.

It would be concerning if someone progressive like Bugler is to be cast aside after one year, when really it would take a number of years to implement such a radical overhaul of the way a team plays. This is not soccer. Extra defenders are not defensive. They are not 'boring'. And while I haven't seen Birr hurl in either 2020 or 2021, is there really potential for a Senior championship win in that team?

It is clear that there are hardly any progressive coaches who are native to Offaly. Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. And look what Clough Ballacolla did this evening. A seventh defender used correctly to make off-the-shoulder runs and create counter attacks. A team utterly comfortable o the ball. There isn't a team in Offaly would be able to do that, and do it right. And when Kilmacud, who left space in the corners of the attack, tried to use that space, C-B's spare defender took up the right positions to make a second tackler, and did it right.

Really the only club in Offaly who are comfortable in possession is St Rynagh's, who have been playing that way since their school days with Francis Forde. And I expect them to continue to be successful in Offaly. The winning goal in the county final might be in the category of 'scrambled', but their ability and comfort in possession enabled them carry the ball from defence to opposition's square.

It's so disappointing to hear teams in this day and age being urged to 'get rid of it' and to 'drive it' and so on, as if being in possession of the ball is not to be tolerated. It betrays a lack of trust in a team's skillsets. Equally, it disappointing to hear requests for Offaly to retain the methods of the 1900s at those online meetings that are leading towards the Strategic Plan.
I think this is a too simplistic way to look at this.
Firstly if a club decide not to renew the services of their manager they are perfectly within their rights to do that regardless of whether someone else thinks said manager is "progressive".
What does "progressive" even mean?
Does being in your 30's make a manager "progressive"?
Does getting your team to perform 100 odd handpasses during a game mean you are "progressive"?
Since you mention Bugler, didn't Loughrea dispense with him after a season as well?
Sometimes it can be a case that clubs realise that they may not have got what they thought they were going to get and part ways. You may think he is "progressive" but he simply might not be up to the job.

In relation to 33233 well I see alot of hurling around this county and the majority of teams are not setting up this way nor do I see flat full forward lines either. Also "drive it" and "get rid of it" are not things I hear too often either. Yeah if lads are constantly messing around at the back handpassing it around and losing possession you might hear it but generally it's not something I hear that often.
Oh beware of the "progressive" lads POTH..........sometimes the only thing progressive about them is their expenses!!!!

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Senior Hurling
Rynaghs - Ken Hogan
Coolderry - Brian Culbert
KK -
Shinrone - Trevor fletcher
Birr - Brendan Bugler
Ballinamere - Seamus McKeogh
Kinnity -
Belmont - Ollie Baker
Clodiagh Gaels - Murphy
Clareen -

Senior Football
Tullamore - Niall stack
Rhode - Malachy mcnULTY
Ferbane - THE SAME WITH GER RAFFERTY IN AS COACH
Durrow - Adrian Farrell
Edenderry -
Shamrocks -
Cappincur -
Clara - Dalton/ scanlon

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Ken hogan going back to home club apparently, lorrha , who were recently relegated under the guidance of former offaly manager John mcintyre.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Arien Delaney going to Belmont. That could well be a very good match.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Bugler is nearly a done deal looking for an additional coach from what I hear and I think you would have to question how Birr struggled so bad against a team like Drumcullen no disrespect to them and then go out and completely destroy the county champions even if it was a noting game for them. So if the club reservations rightly so.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:59 pm Bugler is nearly a done deal looking for an additional coach from what I hear and I think you would have to question how Birr struggled so bad against a team like Drumcullen no disrespect to them and then go out and completely destroy the county champions even if it was a noting game for them. So if the club reservations rightly so.
In fairness you’d have to wonder why Bugler even wants the job. The commute up and down 3 or 4 nights a week must take its toll. I know people will say money etc. But still can’t see how it’s attractive. Birr are probably ranked behind Rynaghs, KK, Coolderry, Shinrone, possibly Belmont and they don’t look like really closing that gap anytime soon. They’ve done very little at underage in last ten years, they last won a senior in 2008. I reckon the intermediate winning team was made up of senior also rans. Suppose he just wants a bit of experience with a team not expecting to win a championship.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

allstar2010 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:10 pm
greenairfield wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:59 pm Bugler is nearly a done deal looking for an additional coach from what I hear and I think you would have to question how Birr struggled so bad against a team like Drumcullen no disrespect to them and then go out and completely destroy the county champions even if it was a noting game for them. So if the club reservations rightly so.
In fairness you’d have to wonder why Bugler even wants the job. The commute up and down 3 or 4 nights a week must take its toll. I know people will say money etc. But still can’t see how it’s attractive. Birr are probably ranked behind Rynaghs, KK, Coolderry, Shinrone, possibly Belmont and they don’t look like really closing that gap anytime soon. They’ve done very little at underage in last ten years, they last won a senior in 2008. I reckon the intermediate winning team was made up of senior also rans. Suppose he just wants a bit of experience with a team not expecting to win a championship.
As far as I know, Bugler is from Whitegate, which is in East Clare and not too far from Portumna at all. It probably isn't any more than 30 miles to Birr which is not a long distance at all.
jimbob

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Whitegate is exactly 30 miles from Birr===== Where Buglar works might add to or subtract from his distance====