Bereavements

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
white grass
Junior B

Bereavements

Post by white grass »

I usually only emerge on this site in reactive rage, but Just a few words. On two very different Offaly people who reflect the diversity of our association.
In the last few months we have lost a number of truly great Gaels who deserve glowing tributes.
I think in particular of John Glennon.
In my opinion John was a Quiet Giant in Offaly GAA.
An influencer long before the word was used, a man who lead by quiet example.
I didn't make a post at that time of his passing, because I felt Beezy would have preferred if I went to the pub and sang a few songs(badly in my case), but that doesn't reduce the loss his parish, this county and his many friends feel.
He was one of the people who do the unglamorous, thankless work and keep the entire association going and I feel ill equipped to describe the esteem he was held in. I feel honoured to have counted him a friend.
On a more recent bereavement, PJ Molloy passed away this week.
PJ wasn't a player or an officer, but I think it would be nice to acknowledge him here.
In an increasing performative world, there was nothing fake about PJ, he was completely genuine in his love for Offaly GAA.
He suffered a lot with illness during his relatively sort life, but I think Gaelic games were a massive positive outlet for him.
On occasion I got vexed with with PJ but he was impossible to fall out with. Equally there were times I got annoyed with younger supporters for playing a trick on PJ, but you only had to see the extent to which they were genuinely upset by his passing to understand how much he was loved. They grew up with PJ and sometimes took him for granted, but at the back of it all, there was real affection. They understood that there was nothing fair weather about his support,
Niall McNamee's tribute showed us how lucky we are to have people like PJ and players like Niall.
PJ will be missed ,on Sunday evenings in Tullamore, at league matches in Newbridge, Christmas midnight mass in Moate, at country music sessions and where ever an Offaly team is playing in front of small numbers against the odds.
Last edited by white grass on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingscounty
All Star

Re: Bereavements

Post by kingscounty »

Great post and great people

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Great tribute to two great GAA and Offaly supporters.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Here, here.

I didn't know either person that well, but from what I heard, all you have said sums it up

Lovely words, and may both rest in Peace and sincere sympathies to both men's family and friends.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Two great Offaly men, without a doubt.
I wouldn't have known John Glennon well but PJ Molloy was one of those dedicated people you'd see all the time who travelled far and wide to support Offaly teams.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of a young Carrig & Riverstown hurler this week. Awful news. Condolences to all his family and friends. R.I.P

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Yes I heard this morning. May he rest in peace

seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Post by seany123 »

Won the Celtic Challenge with Offaly, represented Offaly at Minor and U20, was a real proper hurler, god help his family, friends and his teammates, RIP Aidan.