Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
alwaysfaithful
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by alwaysfaithful »

Possives - to get the result in the end when momentum seemed to be with the hosts. Some good spells in the game playing nice hurling.

Negatives- conceding 30 scores against teams at this level is a big big concern. Defensively as a unit, there is so much work needed. Only hurled for 10-15 minutes of that second half.

Going forward - Focus on beating Carlow. Getting that job done.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Onionbag wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:07 am
biffinbanner wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:51 pm whats tho logic behind "going to croke park with nothing to lose"? ffs if they got there we all want them to win!!
Exactly get whole county behind them. I think our boys coming good at right time. We are fitter than antrim and if we get them into wide open spaces of Croker we'll take them
Croke Park isn't as wide open as some people claim.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Yes it is its the biggest field in the country

alwaysfaithful
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Post by alwaysfaithful »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:34 am
biffinbanner wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 12:51 pm whats tho logic behind "going to croke park with nothing to lose"? ffs if they got there we all want them to win!!
Exactly get whole county behind them. I think our boys coming good at right time. We are fitter than antrim and if we get them into wide open spaces of Croker we'll take them
OCP actually has a bigger playing field than croker.

Get over Carlow first and then we can discuss the next game. Carlow put in a far more convincing win against Down than Offaly did so the challenge is there. all to play for. Expect a battle.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Realistically, get to final and lose would be an ideal scenario. I know when your in a final you want to win but if offaly remain in joe mcdonagh they could build a team who would be a year further on. If offaly went up in 2022, they would get a serious hammering that could set the team back years, lads leaving panel etc.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

alwaysfaithful wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 12:04 pm
Bord na Mona man wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 11:34 am

OCP actually has a bigger playing field than croker.
Correct. I remember a couple of years ago Kevin McStay said OCP is a tight pitch compared to Croke Park. Which just shows the power of optical illusions. The tv camera position and what surrounds the pitch often trick people.

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Get to the final and lose, Bull Shite of the highest order. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread Kerry have contested the last 2 JM finals and wont get out of JM and get chance in LM till 2024 at the earliest.
Get beaten maybe by Laois or Westmeath next year who will come down to the JM?. I hope as your name says you are "Privately joking"??

Drive on and go up a grade, win league 2023 and continue to develop. You only have to win one game to remain there in Liam Mc.

Yes Westmeath had an element of luck but they hung in there. Laois on the other hand appear to be really struggling but where would they rather be?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

As I said, when your in a final, you want to win. But, the reality is that offaly will get slaughtered. Westmeath drew, wexford had 21 wides. Offaly are conceding huge scores in the joe mcdonagh while putting up big scores. A year in liam mcarthy and you will again have huge player turnover. And set offaly back again. Laois are getting absolutely destroyed, offaly wouldn't beat Laois.

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Wexford had 21wides and the goalie let a all stop into the net. Wouldn't be one bit surprised to see laois win. They target these matches that matter most.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

* ball drop into the net...

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think if we make the JMD final then we have to go all out to win it, next year will be what it will be and players and opt in or out if they want but I don't see how losing to Antrim in a final and then playing JMD next year against Laois for arguments sake and losing to them and then finding out the year after its JMD against Westmeath or Antrim again and the management are trying to convince lads that this is the year that we make the breakthrough.

I think that there's great momentum behind this Offaly team at the moment after a good year last year and this year the league was eye opening but nothing overly surprising really based on where we were coming from.

I hope that we win the JMD just so we can have a long autumn and winter with people arguing over whether Offaly should play the round robin Leinster matches in Birr rather than Tullamore which is not the spiritual home of Offaly hurling.
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star

CARLOW’S MCDONAGH CUP SEASON ON THE LINE WHEN THEY FACE OFFALY
THURSDAY, MAY 19, 2022

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2022/05/1 ... ce-offaly/

IT’S all on the line as Carlow travel to Tullamore on Saturday to take on Offaly in the final round of the McDonagh Cup this Saturday afternoon.

Defeat, or a draw, will mean the end of the season for Tom Mullally’s team but a win, provided Kerry don’t win away to Antrim, will qualify them for the final in Croke Park on 4 June.

It’s a big prize to play for and Mullally is delighted that his team have bounced back from some earlier defeats to give themselves a fighting chance.

Carlow beat Meath in the opening round before losing two in row, a woeful home defeat to Kerry before a much battling effort on the road against Antrim.

They hauled themselves back into contention with a hard fought win over Down last weekend in Netwatch Cullen Park.

It is that defeat against Kerry, not so much the result but more the manner of it still annoys Mullally. The 15 point margin that day could yet come back to haunt Carlow if they miss out on the final by score difference but there will be plenty of time in the long winter months ahead to ponder on that result if things don’t go Carlow’s way, for now all the focus is on producing their best performance of the season in Tullamore on Saturday.

“It will be a big challenge and it is where we want to be,” said Mullally after last weekend’s win over Down.

“It is a group which is developing. That is what we want. The Kerry match for us was most disappointing but the Antrim match, we went up which was great but we didn’t know how to win the game. When it came down to the last three or four minutes, we had been great for the previous 65 minutes but when it came to that we didn’t do it. I think when Down got it back to two points, we answered that and showed the lessons of the Kerry and Antrim games had been learned,” added Mullally.

Marty Kavanagh scored 1-13 in the win over Down, and is within touching distance of Pat Coady’s all-time scoring record for Carlow heading into Saturday’s game, but he knows Carlow will face their toughest test of the season in Tullamore.

“It is a huge challenge. Offaly are playing in the top division in the league. Michael Fennelly is doing great things with them. They are a really good side. We are going to be up against it but we are looking at it as a semi-final and are hoping to get the win. We will see where we are then and we are glad to bring it to the last game.”

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

the Untouchable wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:27 am I think if we make the JMD final then we have to go all out to win it, next year will be what it will be and players and opt in or out if they want but I don't see how losing to Antrim in a final and then playing JMD next year against Laois for arguments sake and losing to them and then finding out the year after its JMD against Westmeath or Antrim again and the management are trying to convince lads that this is the year that we make the breakthrough.

I think that there's great momentum behind this Offaly team at the moment after a good year last year and this year the league was eye opening but nothing overly surprising really based on where we were coming from.

I hope that we win the JMD just so we can have a long autumn and winter with people arguing over whether Offaly should play the round robin Leinster matches in Birr rather than Tullamore which is not the spiritual home of Offaly hurling.
I think a campaign in div 2 followed by leinster championship will be ideal for this offaly team next year.

Would fancy us to beat Laois or westmeath in championship.. Trick is to keep Fennelly and keep progressing

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Offaly will have it all to do today in tullamore against Carlow.
I would not under estimate Carlow.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Best of luck today lads.

Any complacency and Carlow will punish us, to be fair their not a bad team and rolled us over 3 or 4 years ago in the league when we were 10 points up and a man up as far as I can remember.