Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
JimBwobb
All Star

Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by JimBwobb »

Hi Folks, with the new season just weeks away with the Walsh Cup might aswell get the thread up and running..

Walsh cup against Galway on 9th January, the start of King Henry's reign in the tribes county.

Massive massive increase of opposition this year in the league in terms of skill, physically, player pick and general hurling awareness.

Be interesting to see if we have many new men called in or old faces returning .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by Fairplayalways »

It sure will be interesting, interesting too to see will the new faces last year be settled and pressing for first team this year, Oisin Kelly of course gone, and his presence will be a huge loss, but as they say, its an opportunity for someone else to get chance and probably have to tweek the system abit..even the Walsh cup is interting these times for us...hopefully we will get a few more on board or one or two back, I wonder will Cillian Kiely come back, love him or loathe him he gives 200% every time for club and county..a great warrior if he does come back..

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

I can see Offaly taking some heavy beatings in the league this year , but in the long run I think it will stand to us in the Championship. It certainly did for Westmeath this year. Hopefully we see a few new faces on the panel too. Also can someone tell me why is Oisin Kelly not hurling ?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Dodge83 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:11 pm I can see Offaly taking some heavy beatings in the league this year , but in the long run I think it will stand to us in the Championship. It certainly did for Westmeath this year. Hopefully we see a few new faces on the panel too. Also can someone tell me why is Oisin Kelly not hurling ?
Oisin Kelly was injured during the club championships. He missed part of both the football and hurling season with Ferbane and Belmont. I believe he will miss Offaly’s league campaign.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Just seen on Midland Tribune a few lads not returning to Offaly hurling panel for various reasons and few new lads coming in. A few surprise withdrawals in ways, but a few didnt feature much last season so I suppose that will happen. A few interesting names coming in, we probably could have done with some of the withdrawals giving it another shot but such is sport. Cillian Kiely not back and while I know it was never flagged he might be, I would say most hurling people were hoping he would but again, so be it.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Delighted to see the Offaly vs Cork game officially fixed for St Brendan’s Park. Will be an interesting comparison between the attendance at that game and the game vs Clare at O’Connor Park.

As an aside the disappointing attendance at the 2021 county hurling final (2,900) must have given the county board food for thought.

Also, and I’m not 100% on this, I think the last time we played Cork in the league in St Brendan’s Park we won by a point. Cork were possibly All Ireland champions so looking around 2005 or 2006.

Edit - Just did a bit of research and it was 2003 and we won 2-17 to 1-17. Our last game vs Cork in SBP.

We beat Tipperary the following year among others in the league. Also in SBP. On our way to relegation in probably the most ridiculous convuleted league structure of all time. In fact that relegation sowed the seeds for the infamous 2005 massacre in Croke Park.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Never really got the birr v tullamore thing. If you proclaim to love hurling that much and you’re not willing to drive 40 minutes to the best provincial ground in the province? Then I dunno.

Hoping for a good performance in any case, not sure this time lf year suits our physically smaller players but it’ll be a baptism of fire if nothing else.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Last time NHL against Cork was in 2006's first round. Cork were All-Ireland champions, the match was a draw and Joseph Bergin made a goalscoring debut.

The 2004 relegation was a costly one. Threw away that one against Leix.
frankthetank wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:28 pm Also, and I’m not 100% on this, I think the last time we played Cork in the league in St Brendan’s Park we won by a point. Cork were possibly All Ireland champions so looking around 2005 or 2006.

Edit - Just did a bit of research and it was 2003 and we won 2-17 to 1-17. Our last game vs Cork in SBP.

We beat Tipperary the following year among others in the league. Also in SBP. On our way to relegation in probably the most ridiculous convuleted league structure of all time. In fact that relegation sowed the seeds for the infamous 2005 massacre in Croke Park.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:00 pm Never really got the birr v tullamore thing. If you proclaim to love hurling that much and you’re not willing to drive 40 minutes to the best provincial ground in the province? Then I dunno.

Hoping for a good performance in any case, not sure this time lf year suits our physically smaller players but it’ll be a baptism of fire if nothing else.
I agree. 100%.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

It will make absolutely no difference if the match is played in Birr or Tullamore. The whole “Bring hurling back to Birr” thing is a load of bollix. As if it will improve our chances of winning 🙄

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

I think eveyeone has moved on from Birr v Tullamore "thing" and its not a thing anymore it should though be a case what is best for hurling within the county.

so some points which I think are hard argue against.

1.Attendances are better when in SBP which means more revenue for county board.
2. To promote hurling throughout the county it would make sense to have hurling in SBP in its traditional strong hold.
3. atmosphere is alot better if you were at the Dublin game you would realise that and it does give the players that extra bit of 5% fennelys comments after the game back up that comment.
4. where we are in relation to the top dogs I think it's hard to say Birr will do much but as we improve there is no doubt its appealing to bring certain games to Birr for the benefit of offaly hurling.

as I said it's not Birr v tullamore thing I think most people have moved on from that its what's best for eveyone involved in offaly hurling and sharing games between the two will no doubt just do offaly good if anything and spread the promotion of the sport across the county.

Hasselhoff
All Star

Post by Hasselhoff »

Delighted to see a few matches in Birr.
It was great to see a decent crowd in the stand and a good roar and support for the Dublin game.

Lots of locals will head down to Birr for a game.
In the interest of fairness, every second hurling game should alternate between Birr and Tullamore.

I wonder how it would be if the football would was played in Birr. Would supporters travel down?

Birr is a decent venue with a good terrace and decent stand. It might not be as classy as O connor park but its decent enough.

Now that it's all online ticket sales as well, I don't know if there is much difference in cost between Birr and Tullamore.

I'm delighted the offaly cork game is in Birr. Its a pity a few more offaly games aren't being played there.

Having games in Birr doss make a difference to hurling in the area in the same way having no games in Birr has a detrimental effect on hurling.

It is the going to games which encourages young lads to play the game. Hearing the roar behind the team, getting the odd win. If games are being played in Birr, it's more likely parents from the locality will go to the games and bring their kids as well to them. The kids presence at the games sows the seed for their love of the game.That's what create the dream and encourages them to go out and practice.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Hasselhoff wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:04 pm Delighted to see a few matches in Birr.
It was great to see a decent crowd in the stand and a good roar and support for the Dublin game.

Lots of locals will head down to Birr for a game.
In the interest of fairness, every second hurling game should alternate between Birr and Tullamore.

I wonder how it would be if the football would was played in Birr. Would supporters travel down?

Birr is a decent venue with a good terrace and decent stand. It might not be as classy as O connor park but its decent enough.

Now that it's all online ticket sales as well, I don't know if there is much difference in cost between Birr and Tullamore.

I'm delighted the offaly cork game is in Birr. Its a pity a few more offaly games aren't being played there.

Having games in Birr doss make a difference to hurling in the area in the same way having no games in Birr has a detrimental effect on hurling.

It is the going to games which encourages young lads to play the game. Hearing the roar behind the team, getting the odd win. If games are being played in Birr, it's more likely parents from the locality will go to the games and bring their kids as well to them. The kids presence at the games sows the seed for their love of the game.That's what create the dream and encourages them to go out and practice.
I wouldn’t think the football would be as well attended if it was in Birr. It’s mostly hurling that part of the county. Very little football is played. Apart from Rynaghs and Birr used to field a team and Crinkill will be in the Junior C Championship this year. Kinnitty also used to play a bit of big ball but that’s about it.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Good to see a league game back in Birr and i hope to see the Footballer play at least one league game in Birr next year.
It would be good for the county as a whole.

This year league will be tough.
Galway away.
Cork Home,
Clare Tullamore,
Wexford, Away,
Limerick Away,
(ok I just that for fun)

Galway are Galway, Could be anything. may be trying new players but they have about 100 hurlers all around the same level.
Cork are going to be look for space so maybe Birr is a good idea.
Clare Colm Galvin retired this morning due to injury- Leaving only 5 of the 26 of team that won an all Ireland 9 years ago and that was a young team.
Lohan is a good manager.
Wexford, what style of hurling will they play now.
Limerick - Well Shit. it's Limerick they are flying. it's really hard to dislike the Limerick team hurling wise. no bullshit with them, Defend well.
They best example of Limerick brain power is they moved on for the small hurler thing 5 of their 6 defender play with 34 or longer hurler and Sean Finn plays with a 36 or 37. The game evolves we can follow or lead and limerick have taking over from Kilkenny as leaders.

Normally at this time of the years most of the team are not at there best so they could be opportunity to pick up some points along the way but they nothing easy in that fixture list.

a few thing i want to see.

1. a plan to retain our puckout and that plan not to include puckout them to the corner back 70% of the time.

2. a plan to stop the other teams winning they puckout 80% of the time, I just want to make sure the ball isn't won cleanly so it hit the ground and not into the players hand (again if they goalkeeper puck it the corner back I'm not including that)

That it.

Best of luck to the management and players.
no matter what happen we are with you all.
Uibh Fhaili Abu
“Common sense is not so common.”

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz Hurling League Division 1 Group A round 1 -PREDICITONS
Wexford v Limerick, Chadwicks Wexford Park, 1.45pm -Limerick by 10 - Limerick 2-20 Wexford 0-16
Galway v Offaly, Pearse Stadium, 2pm - Galway by 8 - Galway 1-25 Offaly 1-17
Cork v Clare, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, 5pm (Sat) - Cork by 3 - Cork 1-20 Clare 0-20