Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by Toxicity234 »

It's a bit strange alright, Maybe the manner of the loss to Carlow was the nail in the coffin.
It's the last week in July and 3 rounds of the Championship are done.

Hard for a manager that doesn't know the county, to get a good look at the talent in the place.
Ken Hogan has managed Coolderry and Rynagh's. He is with Lorrha and Brian Carroll is with him.
He plays the excellent style of Hurling and has a record of getting the best out of players.
Brian Carroll, I might be wrong here but that might be his 1st coaching job.

If I was looking for a manager, I think Ken hogan would have to be the 1st call I make.
“Common sense is not so common.”

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Toxicity234 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:01 am It's a bit strange alright, Maybe the manner of the loss to Carlow was the nail in the coffin.
It's the last week in July and 3 rounds of the Championship are done.

Hard for a manager that doesn't know the county, to get a good look at the talent in the place.
Ken Hogan has managed Coolderry and Rynagh's. He is with Lorrha and Brian Carroll is with him.
He plays the excellent style of Hurling and has a record of getting the best out of players.
Brian Carroll, I might be wrong here but that might be his 1st coaching job.

If I was looking for a manager, I think Ken hogan would have to be the 1st call I make.
Michael Fennelly was at the SHC games in Birr last weekend. He was looking at players who are current county, or potential players. Offaly is a small county, not hard to cover championship matches, even if the journey from Kilkenny is factored in. Offaly are a long way off the top standards, the next manager will have to work on that basis.
Personally I would have retained the Fennelly team, but the decision is made.
Ken Hogan knows Offaly hurling, and he lives in Lorna, not far from Birr. I would have no problem with him, but other candidates may be considered. It is important to get the right person for the job. Does anyone know the process of appointing county team managers, is it by a committtee/interview panel, or county executive decision?

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Ken Hogan won't get involved with intercounty hurling. He's left rynaghs to manage his own club Lorrha and take a step back. You'd assume the county board had someone in mind when they decided to let Fennelly go.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

My gut is saying a mix of the u20 and minor management with Gary Cahill fronting it. Thread water in mcdonagh for next couple of seasons then go big again when we up to Liam Mccarthy....

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Onionbag wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:28 pm My gut is saying a mix of the u20 and minor management with Gary Cahill fronting it. Thread water in mcdonagh for next couple of seasons then go big again when we up to Liam Mccarthy....
Don't take this wrong way but there isn't anyone inside county capable with necessary experience of doing that job currently. Fennelly going is a major move if nobody arranged to take role. Would have imagined Fennelly would not have been at club senior games if he hadn't plans for the year ahead.

Davy Fitz anyone?
jimbob

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Seemingly Davy Fitzgerald is in the frame. Surprised by this considering vacancy in Dublin. Thought he would have been nailed on for that job.

Shane Lowry must be rivalling AIG for financial backing!!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

If its true its completely mad considering where Offaly are at currently. What would be the goals ?
Surely bring him and work him closely to the minor team with the hope he takes the jobs in 5 years time.
Couldn't see how he would make a difference now with Offay. We just don't have the players.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Davy Fitzgerald
Seoirse Bulfin
Brendan Bugler.
One more offaly person as selector and same strength and conditioning team as last year

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Knowing Davy I’d say there’ll be a few more coaches than that. He had an army in Wexford.

He has controversially taken up a role with O’Callagahn Mills over the last week and has publically stated his son Colm will be a coach there. Can see the same happening with us.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

SearingDrive wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:03 am Michael Fennelly was at the SHC games in Birr last weekend. He was looking at players who are current county, or potential players. Offaly is a small county, not hard to cover championship matches, even if the journey from Kilkenny is factored in. Offaly are a long way off the top standards, the next manager will have to work on that basis.
Personally, I would have retained the Fennelly team, but the decision is made.
Ken Hogan knows Offaly hurling, and he lives in Lorna, not far from Birr. I would have no problem with him, but other candidates may be considered. It is important to get the right person for the job. Does anyone know the process of appointing county team managers, is it by a committee/interview panel, or county executive decision?
Fennelly was at matches at each round, that is why I found it strange that he has gone.
Maybe Onionbag is right and Hogan won't come but he has to be in the mix.

The Compliances you're looking for:
1. Leadership and Management,
2. Performance through people.
3. Communicating Effectively.
4. Motivations, Initiative and Achievement.
5. Delivering Results.

My opinion of Davy is well known here, I respected the fact that Davy is the best salesman I've ever seen.

Brendan Bugler maybe in 5 years when he managed more than Birr and coached with Davy in Wexford
Seoirse Bulfin again a Davy coach. has he managed anyone???

Maybe we should look for a manager that has managed before.
With a track record of improving players and systems within a club or county.
That's why I thought of Ken hogan.
The only other manager I can think of with a good record at that is Ollie Baker with Kilmacud Crokes in Dublin.
Feck it, writing this, I know that Davy would tick all these boxes as well.

Think about this I'm surprised that of all the managers and coaches I know are a carbon copies of each other.
It's very hard to think of an outstanding manager or coach as a lot of them are been educated in the same way and talk, walk and train the same way. copy and paste.
I now understand why I find the inter-county hurling champion so dull.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

frankthetank wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:41 am Knowing Davy I’d say there’ll be a few more coaches than that. He had an army in Wexford.

He has controversially taken up a role with O’Callagahn Mills over the last week and has publically stated his son Colm will be a coach there. Can see the same happening with us.
Seemingly some members of management team from last year have been contacted regarding staying on for continuity with Fitzgerald.... Hearing O'Brien turned it down to concentrate on St Rynagh's and Teehan couldn't commit due to work commitments...

Could be speculation...

Still will believe it when I see it

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

if davy gets it he will ruin us on the field and financially. trust me.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Are our finances not strong with lowry on board...

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

greenairfield wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:21 am If its true its completely mad considering where Offaly are at currently. What would be the goals ?
Surely bring him and work him closely to the minor team with the hope he takes the jobs in 5 years time.
Couldn't see how he would make a difference now with Offay. We just don't have the players.
Div 2A and Mc Donagh are there to be won in fairness..

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

duignan not a fan of sweepers. and id imagine neither is most of the offaly hurling folk..and i doubt shane is stupid with money either.