Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by bracknaghboy »

This is not a straightforward appointment.
What is the expectation of this new manager?
Are we expecting someone to come in and re-establish Offaly as a Liam MacCarthy and D1 team over the next 3-4 years? Hardly.
Are we expecting someone to come in and just "get the best out of" the team? What will that look like? What is the best this bunch get offer?
I suppose what I'm trying to ask here is what is the best we can hope for?

I understand the decision to cut Fennelly, I always felt the Meath game in Tullamore (which was a stinker of a performance) left him in real bother and probably nothing short of winning the Joe Mc would have saved him after that. It was hard to see how much more progress he could make next year.
That said leaving it 2 months to tell him as he travelled up to watch club games is just wrong (but this intercounty management business is as cut throat as it gets).

A lot of the names being thrown about would generally have experience taking over ready made teams that need fine tuning and new motivation but Offaly are a different prospect......a Joe Mc team that are to be honest well off the top teams.
As i said it's a complicated appointment.
Personally I think Eddie Brennan is probably best placed to slot in.......he did well with Laois in similarish circumstances (although they were in a better place than our current situation).

Glad I'm not having to make the decision or get my dusty cheque book out :lol:

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Davy would win joe mcdonagh in year one and promotion back to div 1 .

Eddie Brennan would be a good choice,

Anthony Daly, hurling mad and a leader that players would follow

Michael Donohue hard to say he’s not the standout but a long shot

Leo o Connor- stay with them young lads probably be best

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:42 pm This is not a straightforward appointment.
What is the expectation of this new manager?
Are we expecting someone to come in and re-establish Offaly as a Liam MacCarthy and D1 team over the next 3-4 years? Hardly.
Are we expecting someone to come in and just "get the best out of" the team? What will that look like? What is the best this bunch get offer?
I suppose what I'm trying to ask here is what is the best we can hope for?

I understand the decision to cut Fennelly, I always felt the Meath game in Tullamore (which was a stinker of a performance) left him in real bother and probably nothing short of winning the Joe Mc would have saved him after that. It was hard to see how much more progress he could make next year.
That said leaving it 2 months to tell him as he travelled up to watch club games is just wrong (but this intercounty management business is as cut throat as it gets).

A lot of the names being thrown about would generally have experience taking over ready made teams that need fine tuning and new motivation but Offaly are a different prospect......a Joe Mc team that are to be honest well off the top teams.
As i said it's a complicated appointment.
Personally I think Eddie Brennan is probably best placed to slot in.......he did well with Laois in similarish circumstances (although they were in a better place than our current situation).

Glad I'm not having to make the decision or get my dusty cheque book out :lol:
That post describes Offaly hurling at the moment. Not in the top tier, maybe promotion from Div 2, and reach the McDonagh Cup final. We need the new man to work on that premise, over a number of years.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

I see Cunningham gone from Roscommon footballers, would he be an option for our hurlers?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

He's an option

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Eddie would be a great choice , but I would imagine he will a front runner for the Dublin job if not also part of the Kilkenny set up.
He cut his teeth at Laois I couldn’t see he taking a step down to manage in the JMDC again.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Eddie brennan won't be offered the dublin job. Time with cuala did not go well. Dublin want pat gilroy.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

private joker wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:51 pm Eddie brennan won't be offered the dublin job. Time with cuala did not go well. Dublin want pat gilroy.
Pat Gilroy again?? That didn't exactly go great the first time.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It was going ok. He is unbelievable at creating a winning culture. He left due to work reasons.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Gilroy's stint with hurlers in Dublin went quite well and players generally wanted him to stay on. They were a very small bit short of a significant breakthrough - and that was against very strong Galway and Kilkenny teams who were in All Ireland finals at that time. Apparently he is a very wealthy business man with significant business interests abroad in the electricity / energy sector, and this commitment took him away from the hurling job. People forget too that he won the first recent football All-Ireland in 11 for Dublin and paved the way for Jim Gavin's teams to follow on. Did he manage St Vincents to win a club football all ireland too as player manager I think?

From Offaly perspective, if Cunningham was willing, I think he'd be worth talking to for either hurling or football - or both.

Only concern I would have with current Offaly set-up is that the business is not getting done as fast as it could be. While I understand there are review processes and time that is needed before deciding on what we are doing, Fennelly was left sitting for two months and was travelling from Kilkenny to Birr for club games before we saw to inform him that there would be a change. Meanwhile the county championships are half way through with new managements not in place yet. While we still have time, it is important that this is done as soon as is possible with club action in full flow. And on football front, all the eggs appeared to have been placed in O'Se's basket before he withdrew - also with what would appear to be no alternative in place.
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Fennely in with new kk mgt team.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

reputedly

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Who is the management team reputedly to be made up of?

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i heard its not true. but then maybe i wasnt told the truth !!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Interesting to see what the good people of Kilcormac/Killoughey’s response is to this.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 90417.html

Always had him down for a great man for a sound byte but not sure how much substance there is with him.

I could have him totally misjudged to be fair.