Offaly Hurlers 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurlers 2022

Post by Kevin »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:29 am Let's deal with the elephant in the room here.. We beat Laois (who knocked out Kilkenny something we haven't done in a long time correct me if I'm wrong).. and Dublin.. yes it does appear to be a good team but as we know one minor final win on its own won't be sufficient.. as we know generally if lucky only 2/3/4 of most minor teams make it through to senior level .. Won't be popular for saying the following but the national hurling purists will be more ponderous about what is going on underage in Kilkenny than thinking ahead of what Offaly are doing after beating Laois and Dublin etc...a great win for our minors for sure, but reading onto yesterday's senior game that gave alot of over confidence to our senior team V Carlow and over expectancy from our supporters..Progress made yes, but not that much.. We are at our level now confirmed..will another minor or an U20 follow in a few years time?..., that will tell alot..personally ime doubtful..
Hi Fairplayalways,

A sense of expectancy from the supporters is one thing (unjustified as it might be), but if there is a sliver of truth as to the overconfidence of our senior team - we will never get anywhere, ever. It’s hard for me to believe this.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Thank you to the team for their efforts this year, it is a massive commitment from players to put in the hours of effort that they do for our jersey.
We have Players that is well capable of playing in the Liam McCarthy and staying there year on year,

Saturday was very disappointing but not unexpended.
In one off game where we need the result the only game we won is Derry last year in the Christy Ring.

I guess looking at the manager you have to look where he started.

Most of us here would say that we have improved from his 1st year but let remember that year we lost on penalty to Down.
In a game where we scored 17 time in normal time.
It would have been hard to go backwards.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa ... 82489.html

Last year we were good.
We got promoted to Division 1 without losing a game.
We beat Carlow, Down, Kerry, Meath and Wicklow.
In the Christy Ring.
We Beat Silgo, Wicklow and Derry.

This year hasn't been a disaster.
The league was tough, It was always going to be tough.
Losing to Antrim scoring 19 times. was really disappointing but not a Disaster.
Losing to Antrim again in the 1st round was disappointing cause we conceded so much.
Beating Kerry by a last minute point was a good result.
But losing to Carlow was Disappointing. Scoring 18 time was more disappointing.

At the start of the league is had two things i wanted to see that i would have considered improvement.
The original is the 13 Post on page 1 of this tread.
Toxicity234 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:25 pm a few thing i want to see.

1. a plan to retain our puckout and that plan not to include puckout them to the corner back 70% of the time.

2. a plan to stop the other teams winning they puckout 80% of the time, I just want to make sure the ball isn't won cleanly so it hit the ground and not into the players hand (again if they goalkeeper puck it the corner back I'm not including that)
I can't say that we improved in these two areas this year, We haven't been able to win our own ball in important games.

Before i give my opinion where he should stay or not.
The other issue we have is the turnover of 6 to 9 players leaving the pane each year.
Players have lives outside of Hurling.
Some people were dropped off the panel cause they had children and management though they wouldn't be able to give the Commitment needed. While in March bring back in players that hadn't committed and was moved into the starting line up, Ahead of players that did.
So lads at 24 to 28 partner having kids are dropping off the panel and these are the lads we need to develop a physical edge.

In hurling, physicality is a huge part of the game and we lack that. Carlow pushed us around and no Offaly man wasn't able to pushed back.

Honestly, I can't really said that i think Fennelly should stay on but i can't see anyone to replace him.
I don't look at the team and see any player that has improved hugely with him as manager. maybe Leon Fox but Leon has been one of Belmont best players for years. But i could be proving complete wrong in a few months If Shinrone win the county title.

If he does stay on he need a change of attitude when it come to the players. Less Mourinho and more Klopp.
The only thing i don't want to see is 8 lads dropping off the panel next year to be replaced by 8 lads off the minor team.
Last edited by Toxicity234 on Thu May 26, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

This year has not being a disater at all but there is concerns and we have to identify more talent within the county. I am not trying to run down the players who are involved but I do feel when you look at the panel we have some more options outside of what is there, I am not saying they will make a huge differnce but there is options that gives more options and little bit more depth in key positions.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Kevin wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:31 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:29 am Let's deal with the elephant in the room here.. We beat Laois (who knocked out Kilkenny something we haven't done in a long time correct me if I'm wrong).. and Dublin.. yes it does appear to be a good team but as we know one minor final win on its own won't be sufficient.. as we know generally if lucky only 2/3/4 of most minor teams make it through to senior level .. Won't be popular for saying the following but the national hurling purists will be more ponderous about what is going on underage in Kilkenny than thinking ahead of what Offaly are doing after beating Laois and Dublin etc...a great win for our minors for sure, but reading onto yesterday's senior game that gave alot of over confidence to our senior team V Carlow and over expectancy from our supporters..Progress made yes, but not that much.. We are at our level now confirmed..will another minor or an U20 follow in a few years time?..., that will tell alot..personally ime doubtful..
Hi Fairplayalways,

A sense of expectancy from the supporters is one thing (unjustified as it might be), but if there is a sliver of truth as to the overconfidence of our senior team - we will never get anywhere, ever. It’s hard for me to believe this.
I just wonder did the players think this Carlow game would be won be it after a battle, the more the game went on they (Carlow) seemed to know they had our number so to speak, and that is what disappointed me..each to their own opinion but the above are just mine..thanks

Onionbag
All Star
Club: Durrow

Post by Onionbag »

Carlow had more experience and won the physical battle

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Toxicity234 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:51 pm Thank you to the team for their efforts this year, it is a massive commitment from players to put in the hours of effort that they do for our jersey.
We have Players that is well capable of playing in the Liam McCarthy and staying there year on year,

Saturday was very disappointing but not unexpended.
In one off game where we need the result the only game we won is Derry last year in the Christy Ring.

I guess looking at the manager you have to look where he started.

Most of us here would say that we have improved from his 1st year but let remember that year we lost on penalty to Down.
In a game where we scored 17 time in normal time.
It would have been hard to go backwards.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa ... 82489.html

Last year we were good.
We got promoted to Division 1 without losing a game.
We beat Carlow, Down, Kerry, Meath and Wicklow.
In the Christy Ring.
We Beat Silgo, Wicklow and Derry.

This year hasn't been a disaster.
The league was tough, It was always going to be tough.
Losing to Antrim scoring 19 times. was really disappointing but not a Disaster.
Losing to Antrim again in the 1st round was disappointing cause we conceded so much.
But losing to Carlow was Disappointing. Scoring 18 time was more disappointing.

At the start of the league is had two things i wanted to see that i would have considered improvement.
The original is the 13 Post on page 1 of this tread.
Toxicity234 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:25 pm a few thing i want to see.

1. a plan to retain our puckout and that plan not to include puckout them to the corner back 70% of the time.

2. a plan to stop the other teams winning they puckout 80% of the time, I just want to make sure the ball isn't won cleanly so it hit the ground and not into the players hand (again if they goalkeeper puck it the corner back I'm not including that)
I can't say that we improved in these two areas this year, We haven't been able to win our own ball in important games.

Before i give my opinion where he should stay or not.
The other issue we have is the turnover of 6 to 9 players leaving the pane each year.
Players have lives outside of Hurling.
Some people were dropped off the panel cause they had children and management though they wouldn't be able to give the Commitment needed. While in March bring back in players that hadn't committed and was moved into the starting line up, Ahead of players that did.
So lads at 24 to 28 partner having kids are dropping off the panel and these are the lads we need to develop a physical edge.

In hurling, physicality is a huge part of the game and we lack that. Carlow pushed us around and no Offaly man wasn't able to pushed back.

Honestly, I can't really said that i think Fennelly should stay on but i can't see anyone to replace him.
I don't look at the team and see any player that has improved hugely with him as manager. maybe Leon Fox but Leon has been one of Belmont best players for years. But i could be proving complete wrong in a few months If Shinrone win the county title.

If he does stay on he need a change of attitude when it come to the players. Less Mourinho and more Klopp.
The only thing i don't want to see is 8 lads dropping off the panel next year to be replaced by 8 lads off the minor team.
taking this quote on its own..it was not a good result, we conceded 2-27 or something, shocking total to concede, winning yes was good but the writing has been on the wall all league with some ferocious high scores conceded, interestingly the Carlow scored and condeded by Offaly were one of the lowest (scored and conceded) all through JMCD and when that happened we lost the game..basically when it was a tight game we were found wanting..no engine in the current squad, no "go to player" all shooting from well out the field, physical battles not wanted..

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Any news on whether Fennelly is staying or going.. Heard there was a review done by County board midweek

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

He was in Birr yesterday so he must be.

Personally I would have let him go. He’s done 3 years and we haven’t progressed.

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Well in fairness we got up to Mcdonagh.. Can be looked at both ways.. We finished second and lost out on final on points difference.... Or we finished 4th and were very poor v carlow

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

You look at the club championship, and I've been at a good few games, are players there to get much further? What exactly would a new mgt bring that the current one are not bringing. Having spoken to number of players, they definitely don't want to start over with new mgt. I think they are on the cusp of somthing good but will take a few years. Clubs need to start playing with some sort of plan and try and play some semblance of modern hurling.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:46 am You look at the club championship, and I've been at a good few games, are players there to get much further? What exactly would a new mgt bring that the current one are not bringing. Having spoken to number of players, they definitely don't want to start over with new mgt. I think they are on the cusp of somthing good but will take a few years. Clubs need to start playing with some sort of plan and try and play some semblance of modern hurling.
I think you are correct regarding the Senior Hurling Manager. Offaly just haven’t the players to compete at the highest level. The 2022 minor hurlers are a sign that there is talent, but it will take a few years, and a few more good underage teams emerging for Offaly hurling to improve.
You are correct about developing a modern game of hurling.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

The players are not there at the moment. Simple as that. We are where we deserve to be. Underage progression is encouraging so I think keep Fennelly for another year at least. See how next year goes. Can we make the McDonagh final ? If we do then that’s progress. If not maybe it’s time to shake things up. Here’s hoping this years minors can develop into fine senior hurlers and we might be back competing in the Leinster championship in the next 5-6 years

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Breaking news around Tullamore this morning that Michael Fennelly has stepped down as Offaly Senior Hurling Manager

Onionbag
All Star

Post by Onionbag »

Heard meeting with County board last night and he's decided or they've both decided that the 3 year term is up and it's time for a change

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Anyone got a number for a certain B Cody?