Leinster Football Championship 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
The Biff
All Star

Leinster Football Championship 2022

Post by The Biff »

We have drawn to play Wexford first (at home). If we can negotiate that hurdle, then it will be the Dubs.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/1127/ ... t-to-meet/

I think the Qualifiers are back to the "old" format for next year, which generally favours the teams that go into that part of the draw relatively early (pre Provincial Finals and Semi-Finals). I'm searching for some positives here, given the run of injuries and unavailable players described elsewhere. Maybe we can hope to catch the Dubs cold in their first match, assuming that we can get past Wexford first.
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.

frankthetank
All Star

Re: Leinster Football Championship 2022

Post by frankthetank »

Id be fairly confident we have to travel to Wexford Park for this game.

In 2010 the county board in their infinite wisdom entered into a home and away arrangement with Wexford for our senior inter county championship games.

We have only played Wexford in football on one occasion since then (2011) and that game was played in O’Connor Park. Wexford won comprehensively.

Therefore a long trek awaits.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

frankthetank wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:26 pm In 2010 the county board in their infinite wisdom entered into a home and away arrangement with Wexford for our senior inter county championship games.
Why have you a problem with that arrangement Frank?
It prevents us having to play every game in Portlaoise. At least this way we get home advantage 50% of the time. We should have a home and away arrangement with every team in Leinster if you ask me. To be fair all this will matter for little when the provincials are gone in a couple of years.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Hone and away arrangements make sense when playing Laois or Westmeath. Not when travelling to Wexford.

It was a financial decision at the time as we were practically broke due to the development of OCP.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Ah that pesky OCP, is there anything it's not responsible for? :wink:
I don't mind an aul spin down to the land of the Yella Bellies every now and then to be honest.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

frankthetank wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:03 pm Hone and away arrangements make sense when playing Laois or Westmeath. Not when travelling to Wexford.

It was a financial decision at the time as we were practically broke due to the development of OCP.
By far the most common neutral venues for Offaly vs Wexford championship games were Croke Park and Nowlan Park. Since Offaly vs Wexford games are no longer of a stature to justify Croke Park, Kilkenny would now be by far the most likely venue - and whether it's football or hurling, I'd much prefer one home and one away game than two trips to Nowlan Park, I'd say the decision makes sense.

Now it should also be pointed out here that while Offaly voluntarily entered into a home and away, toss of a coin agreement with Wexford which directly led to our footballers having to go to Wexford Park in 2004 - and that's a call I'd definitely disagree with, since that football team had immense potential and we'd have beaten Wexford 90% of the time on a neutral venue back then - it was around 2009 or 2010 that Leinster Council started pushing home and away agreements on counties, particularly those who had county grounds up to the requisite standard. (Which is why Kildare or Louth wouldn't have as many as Offaly or Laois). I don't know that saying know to a home and away arrangement with Wexford would have been entertained, even if that was the opinion of the county board at the time.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

doesnt the possibility of playing the Dubs give us a good cause to plough all our efforts into trying to retain Division 2 status now at least next NFL. There will be some tough games in there, all will be great prep for possible Dublin clash, not withstanding we have to navigate Wexford yet, who sadly have gone back alot after great promise some years ago now, but on their day can catch manys the team...

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

The home and away deals make sense to me. We've put enough funds into the Portleix economy over the last few years playing neutral games there.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Niall Mac is back

John Maughan salutes ‘remarkable’ Niall McNamee who’ll be back for a 19th season with Offaly

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:38 pm Niall Mac is back

John Maughan salutes ‘remarkable’ Niall McNamee who’ll be back for a 19th season with Offaly
Great to see. I'd say he wants a crack at higher opposition next year. With all the withdrawals and injuries this is very welcome news.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 01838.html