Offaly 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Dodge83
All Star

Offaly 2022

Post by Dodge83 »

With the club championships almost over , is there any new players who might add something to the Offaly panel for next years McDonagh cup campaign?

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly 2022

Post by Fairplayalways »

without going googling or researching did Kevin Dunne ever get a chance or return to the Offaly set up, I know there was a bit of dismay at how he wasnt featuring a few years back under previous management. I havent seen Clareen hurl so dont know what his form is like but I think he starting for them in all or most games..not sure if we un earthed too many new players, the semi finals and final might throw up a couple of new names maybe...no doubt those who have attended many games will be on here with their suggestions...the Brian Carroll ship is well sailed now but a pity he didnt stay on another year or two..a fine hurler and flying for Coolderry..

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

To be totalky honest I am not sure if we will find too many "new" players we kinda have what we have.
you could name some but most have been tried and tested not really sure would they improve the team. I think Adrian Cleary from Shinrone was on the extended panel last year he seems to be a class act. you could look at Kevin Connolly again but his physical stature does seem to struggle at inter county level.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Is there a case to broaden the search to intermediate players? I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the team we have. But I would love to know if any of the Offaly back room team look at intermediate games or is it only senior ??

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

wasnt Dylan Hayden flying for Birr intermediates some years back yet wasnt on the offaly senior panel...didnt a block of Shinrone lads opt out a few years ago and again last year for various reasons...Kevin Connolly was to be the next best thing when he came on the scene but that didnt transpire for whatever reason and he is now regular with Coolderry and thats about it..a fine hurler too..no one clarified Kevin Dunne situation...great if all our best or most could commit...but I suppose all counites have similar problem if they dont..

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

I’ve no idea about Kevin Dunne to be honest.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Commitment is a big problem. And the drinking culture also. Too many lads fond of a pint and not willing to commit to training 4 or 5 times a week

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

hard blame young lads with the demands of intercounty.specially if you are not at the top tier. sadly thats the ways its gone..

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Shane Dooley be back for the year after the mighty impact he had for Tullamore on Sunday!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

its so true about the commitment, and not being at the top table doesnt help. That said, you look at stars from other counties and like them or love them some have gone on to be sucessful in management of other counties and clubs.(success I dont mean winning All Irelands, everyone cant win All Irelands but I am talking getting a big job, turning a team around and winning at least a provinical or second tier cups etc... Davy Fitzgerald, Eddie Brennan, Michael Fennelly with us of course, Shane ONeill was with Galway and managed one of the big Limerick clubs to All Ireland I think (stand corrected on that) Fergal Hartely is with Ballygunner, Anthony Cunningham is dual sport manager, Kieran Kingston with Cork, and some players who were only subs on great 1990s teams have gone on to be good managers and are in the public areana as such.. look I am leaving out obvious ones too I know, but from our Offaly team on 1990's, not one has gone onto realtively sucessful management that I can think of, yes a few have been managing but it wasnt long term and most havent gone back into it after their stints...listening to Eddie Brennan and Davy Fitz (whether you like him or not) but the sheer dedication these lads have (yes being well paid but they still have to commit) I dont see any other former Offaly hurler in that bracket, again like him or love him Michael Duignan has probably had the most public with his analysis on RTE on match day and now chairman of Co. board...other than that, I cant think of anyone of the 1990s team that is managing/has managed a big club or county team sucessfully, yes some have tried it but not on the same comitment as the prominent ones we see from other counties...not sure of the drink thing although I do think it may be a factor, how come other counties can do it and we cant? no slight on anyone, its some commitment for sure...

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

We're not starting that here again. There was no 'block' of Shinrone lads opting out. You probably shouldn't comment when you're making it up as you go along.
Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 am ...didnt a block of Shinrone lads opt out a few years ago and again last year for various reasons...
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I think anyone with their heads screwed on accepts that someone opting not to join a county Senior panel should NOT lead to a presumption of a drinking habit. JAZEZ! You're probably the type that gets your camera out and goes on the internet every time you see a hurler or footballer in a pub.
Dodge83 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:27 pm Commitment is a big problem. And the drinking culture also. Too many lads fond of a pint and not willing to commit to training 4 or 5 times a week
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:09 pm I think anyone with their heads screwed on accepts that someone opting not to join a county Senior panel should NOT lead to a presumption of a drinking habit. JAZEZ! You're probably the type that gets your camera out and goes on the internet every time you see a hurler or footballer in a pub.
Dodge83 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:27 pm Commitment is a big problem. And the drinking culture also. Too many lads fond of a pint and not willing to commit to training 4 or 5 times a week
Well in fairness there is plenty of Offaly players seen out in pubs after most matches. You wouldn’t see that from any of the top counties. Maybe that has played a part to where we are now. As for me getting the camera out if I see them in a pub ? Sure why would I need to do that when they do it themselves!! Look I’m not trying to tarnish anyone I’m just saying the commitment could be better. We have a good group of players in the panel and hopefully some new one commit to the cause next year to drive it on and we get back to where we belong !!

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

dodge what planet are you living on. if you think other county players dont go out after a game you are living in dream land stupid conversation really.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Ah come on in fairness do you think Tipp Limerick Kilkenny players for example go on the beer after every game ? I very much doubt it. You are living on Mars if you think they do. Drinking pints won’t win an All Ireland. And don’t say it was like that when we were winning because times have changed. It’s a much more disciplined lifestyle now and you know it