Offaly 2022

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Offaly 2022

Post by greenairfield »

I think going out for a few drinks after a game never hurt anyone professional rugby and soccer players do it every week after matches. Offaly are where they are for a reason and certainly isnt because they go "on the beer"

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

That’s fair enough. We are gone off subject here. Huge year ahead for Offaly hurling. If we get it right I’d be confident of winning the McDonagh Cup. Be great to get back to the All Ireland series. Playing in Div 1 will stand to us also.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:05 pm We're not starting that here again. There was no 'block' of Shinrone lads opting out. You probably shouldn't comment when you're making it up as you go along.
Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 am ...didnt a block of Shinrone lads opt out a few years ago and again last year for various reasons...
read what I actually said before jumping the gun and "making it up as you go along" let me tell you, read it it says wasnt there a block (as in a cohort - not a ban or similar) of Shinrone players who opted out for one reason or other..you certainly have lots of facts and more luck to you for having the time, but read the post before jumping in with accusations of jumping the gun etc. and advising what we will debate etc..its a free form, most of my posts are very balanced as I appreciate the work and comitment all players and personnel put in..most will say I am fair enough in my comments...if you dont like what I say, without reading it properly you can disagree but dont insult me please alleging I am making it up as I go along...I have more to be doing than explaining my comments to people who do not read them..thank you..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm I think going out for a few drinks after a game never hurt anyone professional rugby and soccer players do it every week after matches. Offaly are where they are for a reason and certainly isnt because they go "on the beer"
that is true, but I can name without thinking too hard 4 or 5 players with oozes of potential from my own club who drifted away after minor, some made it back, some didnt, and they certainly may or may not have been putting it in on the training field but they were drinking excessively, and two of them openly admit that now when they get a bit older and wiser, we are not talking about a few pints here after a match, we are talking just going drinking in excess which in any walk of life you will not get too far, who hasnt, but with the levels of fittness and commitment now maybe on team holiday or other team outing they let the hair down, but heading out on the tiles and get drunk everyweekend is not going to get one far with intercounty sport of any kind, the body wouldnt be able for it..anyway, gone off topic as we know...good points made by most, whether we agree or not...roll on the semifinals this weekend...

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

before we go back on topic we are no different to any other club or county lads will drop off for that reason happens in all counties dedicated lads make it others dont

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Think offaly could go well in the mcdonagh Cup. It will be tough to win but offaly could do it in 2022. In the league, unfortunately offaly are going to ship some very big scorelines. Similar to what they conceded vs Tipperary in a challenge match this year.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

So back on topic .. I was chatting to a fella from Coolderry yesterday and he reckons Shinrone will beat them!! It’s a great chance for them to get to a county final , but their form in knockout hurling lately has not been good. But I was at the Coolderry vs Seir Kieran match and Coolderry were poor so you never know

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It might be a free forum but if you post something that has no basis in fact then you can expect to be contradicted. And maybe you should check these things before you post them. Nothing to do with time, we'd all have no credibility if we posted up everything we heard in a pub or in the mart or made up as we go along. A bit of fact checking goes a long way. Did it dawn on you that the people involved, and their families, actually read this stuff?
Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:17 pm
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:05 pm We're not starting that here again. There was no 'block' of Shinrone lads opting out. You probably shouldn't comment when you're making it up as you go along.
Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 am ...didnt a block of Shinrone lads opt out a few years ago and again last year for various reasons...
read what I actually said before jumping the gun and "making it up as you go along" let me tell you, read it it says wasnt there a block (as in a cohort - not a ban or similar) of Shinrone players who opted out for one reason or other..you certainly have lots of facts and more luck to you for having the time, but read the post before jumping in with accusations of jumping the gun etc. and advising what we will debate etc..its a free form, most of my posts are very balanced as I appreciate the work and comitment all players and personnel put in..most will say I am fair enough in my comments...if you dont like what I say, without reading it properly you can disagree but dont insult me please alleging I am making it up as I go along...I have more to be doing than explaining my comments to people who do not read them..thank you..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

private joker wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:33 pm Think offaly could go well in the mcdonagh Cup. It will be tough to win but offaly could do it in 2022. In the league, unfortunately offaly are going to ship some very big scorelines. Similar to what they conceded vs Tipperary in a challenge match this year.
Totally different dynamic for Offaly next year. This year, league allowed them to build momentum and confidence with nature of games and opposition. Granted they were teams against which we struggled previously but just getting early win and bit of positivity fed well into the energy around the group. League was the competition of higer standard so once that was won, we were never not winning C Ring given who was in it.

Next year is totally different. League will see us take a few good beatings (most likely) and i'd accept that. The main thing here is how the lads allow losses and negative results impact on how we maintain work-rate, enthusiasm etc. There is no doubt but we are up against it in league to even get a draw never mind a win. But these stiff tests will improve our lads more than any 12-15 pt win against a 2nd or third tier county. If we can maintain good team morale coming out of the league after some heavy losses, I think we have great chance in Joe Mac. While a Joe Mc win would be some achievement for the group, with our age profile etc, I think it may not necessarily be worst thing in not winning Joe Mc - but being at business end of it is important. Possibly doing this, seeing improvements in hurling speed, physicality etc and winning it in 23 may stand to us even more
jimbob

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Look at Westmeath this year. Hurled in div 1 (I think) and those tough games stood to them come championship and they won McDonagh cup. All good teams/managers/players will take the positives from defeat and learn something so hopefully this is the case for Offaly next year. Players should be jumping at the chance to test themselves against the very best !!

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:26 pm It might be a free forum but if you post something that has no basis in fact then you can expect to be contradicted. And maybe you should check these things before you post them. Nothing to do with time, we'd all have no credibility if we posted up everything we heard in a pub or in the mart or made up as we go along. A bit of fact checking goes a long way. Did it dawn on you that the people involved, and their families, actually read this stuff?
talk of not reading my orignal and clarified post (not that it needed clarification if it was read in the first place) I said there was a block OF Shinrone players who opted out for one reason or another, I did NOT say there was a block ON Shinrone players...I never said that..and I beg your pardon but my contributions are not "heard in the pub or in the mart" or whatever belittling way you put it...neither are my norm not that I need declare that to anyone on here, .can we draw a line here as this is getting rediculous as you did not read my post correctly...I have the height of respect for all clubs in Offaly and beyond. Thank you.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Ofally SHC semi finals 2021- Coolderry V Shinrone - this has the ingredients to be great game - Shinrone seem to have hit form at the right time - Coolderry probably had their worst game V Rynaghs and were reportedly (going by other club players I was speaking to) not great against Clareen (no disrespect to Clareen) Coolderry have been running up good totals all championship, and are a steady if aging team now. Shinrone are the breath of fresh air in the semi finals, and with their forms hitting right now, be it though the lost 2 opening games, I think they might get acrross the line here, now even having said that, Coolderry will be game upto the final whistle and if a tight game, anything could happen...I will go with Shinrone 2-20 Cooderry 2-18 (just put up a score to make it more interesting)

Kilcormac V St. Rynaghs - was Rynaghs game V Birr a one off for this team, one thinks it maybe given they were already through, but it still was poor defeat and a heavy one. I think they will react with a big display here. KK will be relishing another crack at Rynaghs and would probably rather have Ryaghs now than in a final. KK have players back fit now and will give this their all. I stil think Rynaghs are probably that bit better still, and think Ryanaghs will prevail here by a few points - St. Rynaghs 1-21 Kilcormac Killoughey 1-17just put up a score to make it more interesting)

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:26 pm It might be a free forum but if you post something that has no basis in fact then you can expect to be contradicted. And maybe you should check these things before you post them. Nothing to do with time, we'd all have no credibility if we posted up everything we heard in a pub or in the mart or made up as we go along. A bit of fact checking goes a long way. Did it dawn on you that the people involved, and their families, actually read this stuff?
and I mentioned no players of any description so I dont get this "players and their families might be reading this" (paraphrased) if they are and they take offence by what they are reading here which to be fair to all comentators no one player is ever criticized by name, then they will be annoyed all the time..some very very poor explanations been made of your initial and yet to be acknowledged that you did not ready my post correctly...Ime done with explaining here as I have more to be doing and want to enjoy the form..thanks for your contributions regardless.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

apart from whom we might get as in additions for 2022, no doubt one or two or more might retire too..we appear to have a nice bunch of hurlers at the minute so hopefully we might unearth a couple more...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

greenairfield wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:46 pm I think going out for a few drinks after a game never hurt anyone professional rugby and soccer players do it every week after matches. Offaly are where they are for a reason and certainly isnt because they go "on the beer"
not harping on abou the topic but there is a big difference in profession soccer players and rugby players going out after matches..they wont have to be on the road the next morning at 6am or earlier to make work, their sport is their work...they wont be doing physical work either to tire themselves and we all know how tired one can be the next day after a few pints, so that on top of maybe any type of job and GAA training is certainly not similar to professional soccer or rugby going for a few pints...Cerainly all Offalys woes are not down to going on the beer but unfortunately our talent pool is so small every potentially top player we loose, is a huge loss where as other counties will have a "nearly as good" player waiting on the wings...look I get your point and its a fair point...