SHC Round 5 Venue Roulette

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Claffey
Junior A

Re: SHC Round 5 Venue Roulette

Post by Claffey »

 Teams will be ranked 1 – 10 at the end of the league stage, in accordance with Rule 6.21 (4)*
 Top 4 teams qualify for the semi-finals, 1 v 4 & 2 v 3.
 Relegation: 9th & 10th teams play-off.

From: https://offaly.gaa.ie/wp-content/upload ... tures.docx

* Rule 6.21 (4) extract:
(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;
(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);
(iii) Highest Total Score For;
(iv) A Play-Off.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Thank you - my misunderstanding!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

so correct me if I am wrong it is score difference when it comes down two teams on same points.

for example Birr and Shinrone not head to head

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

Greenairfield, I think you are correct. If only 2 teams finish level on points and haven't met then scoring difference has to be used. Which of course would also be the case if three or more teams finish level on points.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

greenairfield wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:56 am so correct me if I am wrong it is score difference when it comes down two teams on same points.

for example Birr and Shinrone not head to head
In this situation Shinrone would have the advantage on the head to head as they beat Birr in Round 4.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Well.
I feel better after messing this up earlier.

I read through this twice and I'm still not 100 % sure.

ule 6.21 (4) extract:
(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two teams in the previous game in the Competition;
(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);
(iii) Highest Total Score For;
(iv) A Play-Off.

Going by this Coolderry(Scoring differance +45) will finish second unless if they beat SK
Unless KK (+20) beat Drumcellen and Coolderry winning margining Plus 26 points.
Both would be on 8 points.
Is that right?

With
Shinrone(+7) vs Kinnitty(-2) and Belmont(-10) Vs Ballinamere(-1) all on 4 points.
Leaving Birr(+11) on 4 points needing to beat Ryanaghs to get 4th place as long as Shinrone is not the only other team on 6 points.
“Common sense is not so common.”

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

Thanks Tox that's seems to be it really you would think shinrone have it unless Birr cause an upset

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Semi Finals of Kilcormac / Killoughey vs Coolderry and St Rynaghs vs Shinrone looked nailed on at this stage.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This is Shinrone we are dealing with here. They are bound to botch it somehow. Proven track record at making a hames of things.

How can they be denied the fourth spot in the group? Note - Shinrone have a 'head to head' advantage over Ballinamere and Birr.
1. Lose to KInnitty (remember Kinnitty beat them in 2016's quarter-final when Shinrone found a way to throw away a quarter-final from a winning position).
2. Draw with Kinnitty, Birr win and/or there is a winner in the Ballinamere v Belmont game.
3. Beat Kinnitty, but Birr also win, and there is a winner in the Ballinamere v Belmont game, and Shinrone don't make up a four points scoring diff deficit on Birr.
4. Beat Kinnitty, and Belmont also win while making up a 17 points scoring deficit. Highly unlikely, admittedly.

I wouldn't rule out option 3 above.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

fair play (excuse the pun!) if ye can make sense out of all the different scenarios..simplistic is Shinrone need to win to make sure of their SF spot I think, they are in prime position to do so...yes they blew up before when they were in command of their destiny but its a learning curve...remember all the semi finals etc. Kilcormac lost before they won in 2012 I think...Birr beating Rynanghs is needed for other teams to figure..I suppose each team will need to work it out and see, very hard follow it here to be honest all the different possibilities...best of luck to all teams, it is a goo interesting championship for sure...