Video vault - the 1980s

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Video vault - the 1980s

Post by Bord na Mona man »

1989 All Ireland hurling semi final
Offaly 1-15 Antrim 4-15

Bord na Mona man
All Star

1989 All Ireland U21 hurling final
Offaly 3-11 Tipperary 4-10

Bord na Mona man
All Star

1989 All Ireland minor football semi final
Offaly 0-14 Kerry 0-08

Bord na Mona man
All Star

1989 All Ireland Minor Football Final
Offaly 1-6 Derry 3-9

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Thanks for sharing, BNM Man.

I just watched back the 1986 Minor Hurling Final. What a second half! Some great performances by guys who didn't become senior intercounty stars -Peter Nallen, John Kilmartin, Damien Geoghegan and Ronnie Byrne. Gary Cahill was superb. Bit annoying that the commentator for some reason mixed up Brendan Kelly, Alan Kelly and Damien Geoghegan. A thoroughly deserved victory and a historic day for Offaly hurling.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Reason for the mix up in the three names was there was a dummy team picked involving the left half-back position and the two midfield positions, and the three lads wore the jersey numbers associated with the positions in which they actually lined out in, as opposed to the numbers per the programme.

Cork having a man sent off in the first half allowed Offaly reorganize during half-time. So for the second half, Mannion and Geoghegan were marking, Cahill sweeping, and the half-back line was Nallen, Hogan and Kilmartin. And there was a short puckout to Cahill at one stage, which didn't go to hand.
first_touch wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:02 am Thanks for sharing, BNM Man.

I just watched back the 1986 Minor Hurling Final. What a second half! Some great performances by guys who didn't become senior intercounty stars -Peter Nallen, John Kilmartin, Damien Geoghegan and Ronnie Byrne. Gary Cahill was superb. Bit annoying that the commentator for some reason mixed up Brendan Kelly, Alan Kelly and Damien Geoghegan. A thoroughly deserved victory and a historic day for Offaly hurling.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

While the late Adrian Cahill is part of the discussion, it's worth having a look at his brilliant lay off here when on the ground and under pressure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASUO2egT4Ck&t=134s

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

I could wait (as I'm sure you have it in there somewhere), but just in an effort to expedite things I thought I'd give you a gentle reminder.
Can you upload the 1991 Junior B final between Tubber & Kilclonfert as soon as possible?
It is of vital importance that this gets aired in the very near to short-term future.
The game took place in normal 1991 for the rest of us, but it was still the early 80s in Kilclonfert so its eligible for inclusion.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

High School Musical wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:06 pm I could wait (as I'm sure you have it in there somewhere), but just in an effort to expedite things I thought I'd give you a gentle reminder.
Can you upload the 1991 Junior B final between Tubber & Kilclonfert as soon as possible?
It is of vital importance that this gets aired in the very near to short-term future.
The game took place in normal 1991 for the rest of us, but it was still the early 80s in Kilclonfert so its eligible for inclusion.
Unfortunately video copies of that match are still selling heavily in the shops so I haven't got permission to upload.