Tomás Ó Sé appointed as selector with Offaly senior footballers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Tomás Ó Sé appointed as selector with Offaly senior footballers

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Tomás Ó Sé has joined the Offaly senior football team as a selector.

After an approach from the Faithful county over the summer, the Kerry legend has decided to join John Maughan’s management team.

The move is a notable coup for Offaly county board chairman Michael Duignan who is keen for the county to maintain its momentum following their recent EirGrid Under-20 All-Ireland football victory.

"I was approached a number of weeks ago about this and after giving it some thought and talking with my family, I am honoured to be asked and really excited to get involved with such a great county like Offaly,” said Ó Sé.

"I am really excited by this move and I'm very much looking forward to working with these players and helping in every way I can."

It is believed that the Gaeltacht native will give up his media obligations for the duration of his involvement with Offaly.

Ó Sé is currently coaching Glanmire's senior football team in Cork and was also a part of UCC's Sigerson Cup management team, but this is the five-time All-Ireland winner’s first position at inter-county level.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic ... 08155.html

JimBwobb
All Star

Re: Tomás Ó Sé appointed as selector with Offaly senior footballers

Post by JimBwobb »

The only way is up :D :D

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Ó Sé has seen and done it all and there is lot he can potentially bring. Even at a very basic level, his understanding of defending (including the dark arts) would be great for our lads to tap into. He obviously wants to build his managerial career and will be keen to make an impact in Offaly.

Lets hope his appointment is a good fit with the set up John Maughan already has in place.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

His experience will benefit the players no doubt. Maybe a downside would be will he still be a pundit on the Sunday Game will he be fully committed to the roll and the commute from Cork three nights a week will that happen.

Great forward thinking from all involved, John doing great work but this will freshen the thing up and bring new ideas and an all ireland experienced player and winner.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

It’s a long haul forward.

Retaining Division 2 Status will take some serious effort.

It’s really interesting how a little success can bring interest from places that would have been unheard of not long ago. Long may the momentum continue to build!

Welcome aboard Tomas and best wishes in your new role!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

kingscounty wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:19 pm His experience will benefit the players no doubt. Maybe a downside would be will he still be a pundit on the Sunday Game will he be fully committed to the roll and the commute from Cork three nights a week will that happen.
It is believed that the Gaeltacht native will give up his media obligations for the duration of his involvement with Offaly.

This is the suggestion, but I'm sure it is subject to change.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

I’d say he’s being lined up to be Maughans successor.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:11 pm
kingscounty wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:19 pm His experience will benefit the players no doubt. Maybe a downside would be will he still be a pundit on the Sunday Game will he be fully committed to the roll and the commute from Cork three nights a week will that happen.

I would be very surprised if all of his media was gone on back of this. He might give up media on Sunday Game covering weekends where Offaly are involved but doubt it somehow if he drops all. He is on a lot more than Sunday Game re media.

Just interested really on background to this move and how it will be received longer term, especially by current management.

I am not in any way trying to be negative here and maybe just playing devil's advocate. While he was a great player there is no doubt, I don't believe his coaching pedigree is in any way extensive and I am hoping that those recruiting have done their homework on his capacity to coach - after all, this is why he is coming up to Offaly. While he was playing club senior up to very recently, his opportunities would have been limited re coaching etc but I would just be wary that while the initial boost re having a charismatic figure in the county may give the players a short term boost, it is what he offers as a coach on the training field that will determine whether it is a success or not. I believe he is the coach of the second team in Glanmire and has done work with club minor team and UCC. My concern (if there is one) is that I am just wondering if the current management were fully behind this move. From just reading the reports, it seemed as if ML Duignan played a big role in this appointment due to them being friends. Just wondering how the move fits in with likes of Maughan's plans and more importantly, the roles of the current coaches who have been working with the team quite successfully thus far. Are any of the pre-existing coaches leaving to facilitate his move or is O Se an add on - and if so, what then are the briefs of them all?

I am just conscious that if I were managing a team, I would be adamant that anyone that is brought in as a coach, is brought in by the manager, as they fill a need and requirement and also have a similar philosophy of how to play the game. I would like to think that there was a fully consultative approach and that Maughan and O Se have sat down and had strong conversations on the football that they will try to play, finding mutual common ground in the process.

If a coach and manager's philosophy is different, then issues may ensue further down the line. While I do not know O Se's philosophy on football, he would appear to come from a very traditionalist view (the Kerry way) from what we see on TV. It is interesting that Maughan's teams this year consisted mostly of playing two centre backs (Stewart and Moloney as examples) with one selected at centre forward but playing as a sweeper and driving from there. David Dempsey in the league was chosen at centre forward and played that role successfully for a spell also. If this is a plan of Maughan or his coaches or both - and one that has helped garner success, it would be important that likes of a new coach coming in, has similar views. Not having similar views may cause friction down the line, and I would hope that all of this stuff is nailed down from the outset so that a cohesive management structure is put in around the players so that they can go on and have a good league and maintain Div 2 status.
jimbob

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:46 am

I would be very surprised if all of his media was gone on back of this. He might give up media on Sunday Game covering weekends where Offaly are involved but doubt it somehow if he drops all. He is on a lot more than Sunday Game re media.

Just interested really on background to this move and how it will be received longer term, especially by current management.

I am not in any way trying to be negative here and maybe just playing devil's advocate. While he was a great player there is no doubt, I don't believe his coaching pedigree is in any way extensive and I am hoping that those recruiting have done their homework on his capacity to coach - after all, this is why he is coming up to Offaly. While he was playing club senior up to very recently, his opportunities would have been limited re coaching etc but I would just be wary that while the initial boost re having a charismatic figure in the county may give the players a short term boost, it is what he offers as a coach on the training field that will determine whether it is a success or not. I believe he is the coach of the second team in Glanmire and has done work with club minor team and UCC. My concern (if there is one) is that I am just wondering if the current management were fully behind this move. From just reading the reports, it seemed as if ML Duignan played a big role in this appointment due to them being friends. Just wondering how the move fits in with likes of Maughan's plans and more importantly, the roles of the current coaches who have been working with the team quite successfully thus far. Are any of the pre-existing coaches leaving to facilitate his move or is O Se an add on - and if so, what then are the briefs of them all?

I am just conscious that if I were managing a team, I would be adamant that anyone that is brought in as a coach, is brought in by the manager, as they fill a need and requirement and also have a similar philosophy of how to play the game. I would like to think that there was a fully consultative approach and that Maughan and O Se have sat down and had strong conversations on the football that they will try to play, finding mutual common ground in the process.

If a coach and manager's philosophy is different, then issues may ensue further down the line. While I do not know O Se's philosophy on football, he would appear to come from a very traditionalist view (the Kerry way) from what we see on TV. It is interesting that Maughan's teams this year consisted mostly of playing two centre backs (Stewart and Moloney as examples) with one selected at centre forward but playing as a sweeper and driving from there. David Dempsey in the league was chosen at centre forward and played that role successfully for a spell also. If this is a plan of Maughan or his coaches or both - and one that has helped garner success, it would be important that likes of a new coach coming in, has similar views. Not having similar views may cause friction down the line, and I would hope that all of this stuff is nailed down from the outset so that a cohesive management structure is put in around the players so that they can go on and have a good league and maintain Div 2 status.
Fair point regarding chemistry, etc Jimbob17.

Was looking for some background along those lines and most of it was quotes by MD. I did come across this article which seems positive:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishe ... 3ftype=amp

But it doesn’t ‘really’ address your query as to how much Maughan had to do with this and if any useful discussions were had in the run up.

In any case we have a manager who was clearly courted to stay on for a 4th year. That’s an accomplishment in terms of football management tenures at our helm. The task ahead is massive. Having everyone on the same page will be crucial.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

jimbob17 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:46 am

With respect Jimbob this is a negative post. How do you know that Maughan didn’t approach Duignam and county board and say please go get me TOS.

It can only be perceived as positive especially on the back of the u20 win and I will certainly be of that mindset unless I hear JM come out publicly to say otherwise. I see zero reason to be asking any of your questions at this point.
Doon exile....

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Bord na Mona man
All Star

That interview with Maughan looks very positive. If he was cagey about it, he would have been more reserved in his praise.

On a separate matter, I see a tendency amongst the GAA public to overestimate the expertise and coaching abilities of a person because they appear on tv shows like the Sunday Game, talk on the radio, or have columns in the papers.

I regularly encounter people who quote what pundits say as some sort of gospel. A fella will make a pronouncement about Offaly based on a few minutes of highlights and a few historical tropes and some treat it like Moses receiving stone tablets on Mount Sinai.

No doubt being articulate is an advantage in the dressing room. But remember that a lot of pundits, especially the attention seeking crank ones, would bomb if they tried management, and they are well aware of this.

Ó Sé knows that the Offaly players would see through him within a week if he is a chancer.
That's why it's great to see he is the kind of fella who backs himself and believes he has something to offer on the sideline. The easy option would be to stay on the armchair and spend the next 30 years making pronouncements.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

that article fairly puts Jimbobs comments up in smoke

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Genuinely delighted to see that backing from Maughan. The value of this backing cannot be under-estimated and as result, I feel that O Se's involvement can really add something.

We have seen in the past where coach and manager not fully aligning can work against a team as basically either personalities of philosophies of you a team should play may clash, resulting in friction. Donie Buckley controversially leaving Kerry as a case in point. Similarly with Paul Clarke in Dublin this year.

Fully agree with post above re eulogising some of what these pundits throw out which is often a load of auld pub talk.
jimbob

Bord na Mona man
All Star

The point is valid. If this appointment was in any way forced on John Maughan then it wasn't going to end well. He would have been undermined and heading for the exit door some time soon.

There are lines that can't be crossed in running inter county teams. Managers need full authority around the team and county board members have to stay in lane and keep to administration - i.e. - stay away from anything to do with team selection, tactics, styles of play etc.

However, it has been in the public domain about ongoing dialogue between John Maughan and the board these last few weeks around what 2022 would look like. Maughan has never made it secret that there are logistics around the job that make it difficult for him.
The footballers now need to start thinking and preparing like a higher division team instead of a team trying to avoid Division 4.
At a basic level, that means more investment, both financial and personnel wise. The elite teams have large backroom and support structures and this is where Offaly need to be aiming. I suspect slightly more than a couple of selectors in wellies and a man with a shoulder bag and a sponge.