Offaly Senior Football Championship 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Football Championship 2021

Post by biffinbanner »

the county final ferbane won was very decisive and well deserved and featured a brilliant 2 goals by cian johnston. first i heard of the ref being biased was reading the comment 2 steps back. either a shit stirrer or a disgruntled rhode person or mixture of both.?

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Post by FerbaneInsider »

biffinbanner wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:18 pm the county final ferbane won was very decisive and well deserved and featured a brilliant 2 goals by cian johnston. first i heard of the ref being biased was reading the comment 2 steps back. either a shit stirrer or a disgruntled rhode person or mixture of both.?
Probably a mixture of both, Rhode will never let that one go. I actually can’t remember one questionable call the ref made that day.

If anybody has been screwed by a ref in recent years it was Ferbane in the 2017 county semi final against Clara when Scott Brady scored a goal from a free in the last few minutes a good few yards ahead of where he should have taken it but Ferbane should have killed the game before then anyway so you forget it and move on.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Post by FerbaneInsider »

Tullamore vs Ferbane
Rhode vs Durrow

Tullamore and Rhode are favourites to advance here but two upsets would not be a surprise.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

FerbaneInsider wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:06 pm Tullamore vs Ferbane
Rhode vs Durrow

Tullamore and Rhode are favourites to advance here but two upsets would not be a surprise.
That would be the consensus, but the games have to be played. Can Durrow repeat their first round win over Rhode, and will Ferbane, short a number of players, reverse last year’s loss to Tullamore?

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

hard see durrow beating rhode twice the one year.? and ferbane minus oisin kelly and cian johnston will hardly beat tullamore. so id say a repeat final.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Tmacmahon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:30 am
Cappincur won the relegation battle with Bracknagh, who will play Senior B football next year.
Was anyone at either game yesterday afternoon?
Yup. Cappincur deserve to stay up. Bracknagh never looked like winning this. Yes Peter Cunninghams absence was massive but you can't be relying on one man. Fionn Dempsey was out as well.
A drop down to senior B might be no harm long term for what is a young team. Management this year have been poor too.
Shur theres always next year.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

AIB Leinster GAA Club Senior Football Championship 2021, a trip to St Conlent's in Newbridge for the Offaly champs.

Team v Team Date (Sunday) Venue Time
Round 1:
1. Louth v Carlow 21.11.21
2. Longford v Wicklow 21.11.21
3. Kildare v Offaly 21.11.21

Quarter Finals:
4. Laois v Westmeath 5.12.21
5. Meath v Dublin 5.12.21
6. 1. v Wexford 5.12.21
7. 3. v 2. 5.12.21

Semi Finals:
8 4. v 5. 18.12.21
9 6. v 7. 18.12.21

Final:
10 v 9.1.21

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Poor fare this weekend just gone chaps.

On Saturday Clara annihilated a shockingly poor Walsh Island side. Yes missing a couple of lads but Clara should have had an additional 6 or 7 goals and that's no exaggeration.
Next up in the Senior A Ferbane never looked like troubling Tullamore who I suspect had a bit in reserve it required. Ferbanes woes are well documented.

On Sunday Tubber brushed aide a very poor looking Ballycumber side who never made an impact at all. It's a worry to see a team get to a semi and look so off the pace. Ciaran Mc at midfield raised a few cheers from the stand now and then and he certainly didn't disgrace himself, far from it in fact.
Then Rhode cruised to a 8 point win over Durrow who in all honesty made little effort to win this and never fancied their chances. This was actually a big mistake as they are not as far behind Rhode as they think but their lack of commitment to attack meant a win was never on the cards. That did look hard done by for that penalty.

Not a lot on show really. Finals will be different.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 pm Poor fare this weekend just gone chaps.

On Saturday Clara annihilated a shockingly poor Walsh Island side. Yes missing a couple of lads but Clara should have had an additional 6 or 7 goals and that's no exaggeration.
Next up in the Senior A Ferbane never looked like troubling Tullamore who I suspect had a bit in reserve it required. Ferbanes woes are well documented.

On Sunday Tubber brushed aide a very poor looking Ballycumber side who never made an impact at all. It's a worry to see a team get to a semi and look so off the pace. Ciaran Mc at midfield raised a few cheers from the stand now and then and he certainly didn't disgrace himself, far from it in fact.
Then Rhode cruised to a 8 point win over Durrow who in all honesty made little effort to win this and never fancied their chances. This was actually a big mistake as they are not as far behind Rhode as they think but their lack of commitment to attack meant a win was never on the cards. That did look hard done by for that penalty.

Not a lot on show really. Finals will be different.
Right about the 2 games on Sunday, Two poor games, Tubber never looked like losing their match. Rhode weren’t brilliant in beating Durrow, who didn’t have a direct shot on goal in the match. They had a very soft penalty given against them in the first half, and had a player harshly black carded in the same period. I thought the losers didn’t attack Rhode enough to try and win the game.
I hope the finals will be different.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

We got the outcome that most expected this weekend with another Rhode v Tullamore county final. Couple of observations:

1. Looking at the goals that both teams scored this weekend, the final will likely come down to who can limit the other teams' key weapon the best. Can Tullamore prevent Rhode from scoring goals from a long delivery into the full forward line, where they back their inside men to out-field and out-manouvre their markers? or can Rhode prevent Tullamore from moving the ball through the hands quickly up the field and creating overlaps for their goals.
2. Last year Rhode won the kickout/midfield battle easily. they put pressure on the Tullamore kickout and won their own kickouts easily enough. If they repeat that it will be a big factor in the match.
3. Who will manage the next 2 weeks best? Both teams have a Under 20 game mid-week (I think tullamore would have more of their starting team involved than St. Michaels, but I may be wrong). You would have to allow the players to play that at their own grade. Then Tullamore have a hurling match this weekend. Will they decide to rest their dual players and let them focus on the football. It may seem like the logical thing to do, but then the week after the county final, the Senior B hurling semis will be on. Does kevin martin really want a gap of 3-4 weeks without seeing some of his players before a big knockout game. I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that discussion!
4. Saw a comment about the ability of some of the Rhode players to keep their standards so high for so many years. The same applies to coolderry in the hurling. Interesting that both clubs are one sport clubs. You would have to think that over years and years that it makes a difference to the body. Compare that to some of the Ferbane lads that are week in week out now for 5 years between both codes.
5. Weather will play a part in 2 weeks time. Hoping for good conditions, as it could be an interesting final.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

llkj wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:34 pm
4. Saw a comment about the ability of some of the Rhode players to keep their standards so high for so many years. The same applies to coolderry in the hurling. Interesting that both clubs are one sport clubs.
I've seen this current Rhode bunch play dozens of times in championship and their effort never dips.
Theres never lads giving out to the sideline or each other.
They don't give up in games either.
There are clearly standards there and any lad putting that jersey on knows the expectation.

The one club sport observation is very interesting.
How are the Ferbane, Durrow and Tullamore lads that are dual club players actually managing the load during championship.
A fella would never get a spare evening to mow that grass at that rate :lol:

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Agree with all above.

Rhode had it easy but Durrow never really went t them with any purpose. They just folded up and the game just ran its course. Ruairi Mac missed a sitter of goal chance too in 2nd half so wouldn't even mention penalty - which was harsh. Rhode were 8 pts better. The difference for me was the purpose that Rhode go at teams. They sprint forward with intent on doing harm. They hold no fear and just go for it. With the few star attackers then, there is always chances available and their passing and interplay is still really really good. They rarely make mistakes and are all just really good natural footballers.

Tullamore had it easy enough v Ferbane but in fairness to Ferbane, they never stopped trying. Would be a much different story with a full strength ferbane team - who are as good as any of the top teams incl both finalists. Think they will be hard to stop next year!

The big question for me for the final is how Rhode set up. If they are clever and protect the back with an extra body or two, I think they will win. Tullamore will want open space for their forwards and if they get it, they can do wreck. If they don't get it (and they won't), are they capable of opening up and shooting from far out - not sure. At least, I don't think they have the score takers Rhode have from distance. That said, if Tullamore attack at pace together, Rhode can be got at. It is the tried and tested against the up and coming team......

Heart would like to see new fresh Tullamore team do it. Head says experience and know how is really strong with Rhode and while lots of people suggest they are not what they were (and they may be right), they only have to be good enough to beat an inexperienced Tullamore team the next day. Rhode to win narrowly for me.

Re Senior B, Clara are stronger this year than they were last year and should take Tubber with 3 or 4 to spare. That said, it's a local derby and that will narrow gap, but i think Clara are a much better team and are a lot more equipped to go up than Tubber.
jimbob

biffinbanner
All Star

Post by biffinbanner »

i was at the ferbane tullamore game. the old adage goals win games was never as evident here. tullamore were that bit slicker and deservedly won. ferbane minus joe maher oisin kelly and cian johnston were always facing an uphill task.ronan mcguire ferbanes liveliest forward was also injured during the game was a big loss. as stated above the dual players have a hard task peaking for games. for instance leon fox was trying gallantly all the game but was visibly not fully fit and is a prime example of the rigours of being out every week. hard call the final. id consider it 50/50. might even end in a draw!!

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Sad news from Rhode, the passing of John Glennon has caused deep sadness in his beloved Rhode and across Offaly. Well-liked and respected by all who knew him, John gave a lifetime's service to the GAA, serving on numerous Club & County Board Committees. RIP

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Condolences to the Glennon family.

What better way will there be to honour the man than for Rhode to win this weekend.

While I don't think it is in any way a foregone conclusion, and I am not trying to be disrespectful to a young exciting team, I am not convinced with all the hype around Tullamore. For me, there is way too much hype for a team that hasn't won a championship in 8 years. There are probably only 7 or 8 players with co medals in McConway, Moloney, O'Brien, Brazil, Hogan, Dooley and possibly Bracken - could be missing someone.

For all their talent (and they have lots of it), they have not set the world alight this year either. They beat Bracknagh very well but blitzed them in first 10 minutes from reports. They drew with both Shamrocks and Edenderry who later showed themselves to be fairly average outfits this year in falling convincingly to Rhode and Ferbane respectively. Tullamore won a semi final v a Ferbane team who to my mind were missing most of their starting forward line in Oisin Kelly, Cian Johnson, Joe Maher, Ryan Heavin and possibly one more that I can't recall at this point.

That isn't exactly title winning form and while there is an excitement over their young players, Cormac Egan has been deemed unavailable and there are doubts over both Furlong and Ciaran Egan - who have probably played 2 games most weeks for the last 6 or 7 weeks between U20 hurling and football and senior football and possibly Junior hurling too.

That said, I wouldn't write them off and they are probably a better side than last year. I do think the midfield battle will be crucial here as Alan McNamee has ruled the roost in club football for a long number of years. If Brazil and Leavy can put Rhode on the back foot here and they can get their forwards moving in space, then they have a good chance.

As I see it however, Rhode are too experienced and too clever to allow this to happen. Rhode have added an element of negativity this year and have no problem playing 12 or 13 lads behind the ball. It is probably something they had to do with lots of older players so this isn't in any way a criticism. If they do lock down their defence against Tullamore like they did to Durrow, then I don't see this young Tullamore forward line having the cuteness, strength or know how to work their way through them.

At the other end, Rhode have long ball options into big men who are phenomenally clinical and have done it all before. Aaron Kellaghan is coming into form again after his U20 run, so it isn't just Niall McNamee that Tullamore need to worry about. Beyond that they have other forwards too, and Offaly seniors at that in Sullivan and Ruairi McNamee that can score from distance also. P Sullivan is another extremely experienced player who like the others, make very few mistakes. When you add it all up and factor in the fact that they have a couple of defenders too in the Darby's that can get up for a score, it becomes a difficult task for Tullamore. Rhode are Co champions for a reason and have probably played in every final for the last 10 years.

Would love to see a new young Tullamore team rip it up with an exciting performance, but head at the moment just says Rhode.
jimbob