Offaly Senior Football Championship 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Football Championship 2021

Post by jimbob17 »

No major surprises this weekend. As I see it, Cappincur in relegation final irrespective of result in last game as Rhode edge them on head to head and cannot catch others in group.

Rhode could still top group by beating Ferbane if results go way but definitely in a quarter final. Ditto Durrow and Ferbane who can both make semi with win next day.

In other group, results as predicted with good wins for Tullamore and Edenderry. Winner of these in final game go straight to semi but draw will do Tullamore to top group.

Bracknagh and Shamrocks as expected play off for relegation / q-final spots. Will be little between these teams with both having reasons to fancy chances.

All in all, will come down to the big 4 of Rhode Edenderry Ferbane and Tullamore with possibility of Durrow causing upset to make top 4 at one of these teams expense.

Playing a q-final may be advantageous to those who get through as break of 4 weeks for those who top their group. We saw how long break affected Kerry.

Relegation to be fought out by Cappincur Shamrocks and Bracknagh as expected. Little between any of these and feel all are a good bit off the other 5 so whoever gets through to q-final will not go any further.
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:22 pm No major surprises this weekend. As I see it, Cappincur in relegation final irrespective of result in last game as Rhode edge them on head to head and cannot catch others in group.

Rhode could still top group by beating Ferbane if results go way but definitely in a quarter final. Ditto Durrow and Ferbane who can both make semi with win next day.

In other group, results as predicted with good wins for Tullamore and Edenderry. Winner of these in final game go straight to semi but draw will do Tullamore to top group.

Bracknagh and Shamrocks as expected play off for relegation / q-final spots. Will be little between these teams with both having reasons to fancy chances.

All in all, will come down to the big 4 of Rhode Edenderry Ferbane and Tullamore with possibility of Durrow causing upset to make top 4 at one of these teams expense.

Playing a q-final may be advantageous to those who get through as break of 4 weeks for those who top their group. We saw how long break affected Kerry.

Relegation to be fought out by Cappincur Shamrocks and Bracknagh as expected. Little between any of these and feel all are a good bit off the other 5 so whoever gets through to q-final will not go any further.
Last day of group stages next weekend. With only one team, to lose out on play offs yet to be decided, lots of teams play off for semi final places.

Durrow will be expecting to account for Cappincur and depending on score difference, could see them into a semi for first tie ever possibly. That will definitely happen if Rhode get a result against Ferbane. Incidentally I think this will be the most interesting game of weekend as we might see if this great Rhode team still has a kick left in them. If they beat Ferbane to finish second, it is a real statement that they are not gone away and will be real contenders if they do. Ferbane on other hand have only one title recently for all their underage success which really is an under-achievement and they should really be close to dominating senior in recent years given all their underage talent.

On other side, Tullamore v Edenderry is effectively a Q final (winners go straight to semi) with losers guaranteed another bite at cherry in a real Q-final in a few weeks. Both teams have high expectations this year and either could reach or win a final with talent at their disposal so this game will be good indicator of where teams are at. Have slight fancy for Edenderry but will be very little in it either way. Bracknagh v Shamrocks is a real knockout game and again, and there will be little or nothing between them either. Bracknagh probably go in as underdogs after losing to Tullamore but this Bracknagh team have some very good players. Lots of them have won at underage with St Broughans at A level so there is a good pedigree there with most having played county at minor, or U20/21. They drew with and should have beaten Edenderry in first round, who then went on to beat Shamrocks. I have a slight fancy for a battle hardened Bracknagh side who won Senior B 2 years ago, and who fought their way out of relegation trouble last year when beating Clara fairly well.
jimbob

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A couple of things following the weekend’s action.

Durrow qualify for the SFC semi-finals for the very first time. While a club named Durrow won the IFC in 1950, reached the SFC semi-final in 1951 and won 1952’s SFC final, that club was a ‘breakaway’ from the Tullamore club following a dispute within the town club. The club local to Durrow at the time was named St Columba’s, and the present Durrow club is a direct descendant of the St Columba’s club. It is significant that there is no correlation between the players on the Durrow team that won the SFC in 1952 and the St Columba’s team that won the JHC two years later, in 1954. The Durrow club of the 1950s disbanded a few years later and the rebels returned to Tullamore.

Niall McNamee’s three goals against Ferbane are his 70th, 71st and 72nd goals for Rhode in the SFC, in what was his 140th Rhode appearance. A phenomenal record of averaging a goal every second game. The 3-8 he scored is his highest individual tally. It is his fifth time to score three goals in a game, having previously hat-tricked 3-5 v Doon in 2004 (his highest individual tally prior to today), 3-3 v Ballycumber in 2006, 3-3 v Shamrocks in 2007’s semi-final which Rhode lost, and most recently 3-4 v Shamrocks in 2019.
Last edited by Plain of the Herbs on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Just wondering, has anybody been keeping an eye on Gracefield this year? They had a lad on the Carlow IT team that that got to the siggerson cup final a few years ago, the same team as Cian Farrell. Did he ever push on or enter maughans consideration for selection?

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

BiffoInThurso wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:27 pm Just wondering, has anybody been keeping an eye on Gracefield this year? They had a lad on the Carlow IT team that that got to the siggerson cup final a few years ago, the same team as Cian Farrell. Did he ever push on or enter maughans consideration for selection?
Gracefield are not doing too well at the moment. They are bottom of their Senior Football B group, and are in a relegation play off with Ferbane. No info on their player’s inclusion on the Offaly SF panel. How are things in North Scotland?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

Jack Walsh – Another Offaly man, this time from Gracefield and is Captain of the side. Was part of the Offaly side that reached the Leinster U-21 Football Final in 2017.

Think this is the Gracefield player you are looking for.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

SearingDrive wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:48 am
BiffoInThurso wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:27 pm Just wondering, has anybody been keeping an eye on Gracefield this year? They had a lad on the Carlow IT team that that got to the siggerson cup final a few years ago, the same team as Cian Farrell. Did he ever push on or enter maughans consideration for selection?
Gracefield are not doing too well at the moment. They are bottom of their Senior Football B group, and are in a relegation play off with Ferbane. No info on their player’s inclusion on the Offaly SF panel. How are things in North Scotland?
Terrible to see Gracefield at such a low ebb. A big enough club with a proud past and tradition. They will find it hard to beat Ferbane too given their results to date. Two good players in Gracefield that could be county seniors are Jamie Evans and Jack Walsh. Not sure which one you refer to or who was on U21. Both about similar age i'd imagine. Both were on senior panel under Pat Flanagan or possibly Steven Wallace but not sure either were involved under Maughan but would not be 100% certain.
jimbob

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Interesting to see draw for quarters and semis. Durrow may have shocked a few but I wasn't fully surprised given how easily they walked Senior B last year. They beat Cappincur in group which I expected. They beat half a Rhode team on the evening - expected that when you see the team they had out. Drawing with Ferbane was their best result and now they are in a semi on merit. Not sure they will have the measure of who they play to be fair and might be step too far to make a final this year. They have still had a great year and have great chance in coming years with lots of talent coming through.

Tullamore edge Edenderry into semi final on score diff. They will really fancy chances now and will feel they are much better than last year - which they are to be fair. Tullamore are probably my favourites for champ if they have everyone fit. There appears to be great buzz in that club currently having won Junior U13, U17, U20 competitions of 2020, while also reaching senior final. It appears they are well set up for the years ahead and could take over the mantle again from Rhode and top the honours list for senior championships won in coming years.

In quarters, I expect Edenderry to edge Ferbane. Not sure what is up with Ferbane but appear to not be fully at it since winning final few years ago. They have all the talent they need but the loss of Oisin Kelly and C Johnson hampers their chances of getting the scores they need to make semis against a very good Edenderry outfit. Edenderry by 3-5 pts.

In other game, I'd expect Rhode to win with not much fuss and a good bit to spare. They are back near full strength now and the win over Ferbane will have done a lot for them in getting back to their best. Niall Mac going better with age shooting lights out the last day with 3-8 - phenomenal individual scoring. While Shamrocks will try hard, they just don't have the players to win against the best teams at this level and at this stage of competition. While Shamrocks were competitive against Edenderry and Tullamore for spells, their narrow win against a 14 man Bracknagh team in a knockout game does not augur well for them in the quarters against the champions who will be looking beyond this fixture, to see if they are in the decline some people report. Rhode by 7-9 pts.
jimbob

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

jimbob17 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:21 pm In other game, I'd expect Rhode to win with not much fuss and a good bit to spare. They are back near full strength now
Rhode will be missing Kavanagh & Rigney, both injured, B Darby suspended, that is 3 of their best backs, so this game will be tough.

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

Ferbane v Edenderry :missing cian ,james and oisin we will be up against it although i still think we can be more than competitive and if edenderry leave us in this game with a chance to win it, i think we will. a lot depends on their approach.
prediction ferbane by 2.

Rhode v shamrocks: shamrocks are far better than some think on this, i will not be shocked if they win this. but the safe bet is rhode ,and i think by 4

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Tmacmahon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:30 am Ferbane v Edenderry :missing cian ,james and oisin we will be up against it although i still think we can be more than competitive and if edenderry leave us in this game with a chance to win it, i think we will. a lot depends on their approach.
prediction ferbane by 2.

Rhode v shamrocks: shamrocks are far better than some think on this, i will not be shocked if they win this. but the safe bet is rhode ,and i think by 4
Ferbane beat Edenderry yesterday by 6 points. I expected Edenderry to win, and maybe lift the Downing Cup, but it won’t happen now. Would love to see Shamrocks beat Rhode today, with 3 Offaly U20 players, with Nigel Dunne and Paddy Dunican they can upset Rhode. The key is if they can restrict Niall Mac’s influence this afternoon.
Cappincur won the relegation battle with Bracknagh, who will play Senior B football next year.
Was anyone at either game yesterday afternoon?

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

SearingDrive wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:55 pm
Tmacmahon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:30 am Ferbane v Edenderry :missing cian ,james and oisin we will be up against it although i still think we can be more than competitive and if edenderry leave us in this game with a chance to win it, i think we will. a lot depends on their approach.
prediction ferbane by 2.

Ferbane beat Edenderry yesterday by 6 points. I expected Edenderry to win, and maybe lift the Downing Cup, but it won’t happen now. Would love to see Shamrocks beat Rhode today, with 3 Offaly U20 players, with Nigel Dunne and Paddy Dunican they can upset Rhode. The key is if they can restrict Niall Mac’s influence this afternoon.
Cappincur won the relegation battle with Bracknagh, who will play Senior B football next year.
Couldn’t see Edenderry win it to be honest , won one game in the championship. Should have left last year’s management in place who had them playing better.
Ferbane missing 3 players, if they were playing it would have been a bigger hiding

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

kingscounty wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:27 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:55 pm
prediction ferbane by 2.

Couldn’t see Edenderry win it to be honest , won one game in the championship. Should have left last year’s management in place who had them playing better.
Ferbane missing 3 players, if they were playing it would have been a bigger hiding
Ferbane are missing a lot more than 3 players.

From the 2019 county final, they’re without Cian Johnson, Oisin Kelly, Ciaran Cahill and Kevin Nugent (sub yesterday) through injury and Aidan Keenaghan and Conor Lowry who left the panel from the starting 15 that day and David Kelly, James Nally and David Cox who were used subs.

They also are without Colin Egan and Damien Egan who opted out of the football teams to concentrate on hurling.

Plus Ryan Heavin who was man of the match with 2-3 against Cappincur is currently injured, Paddy Clancy who got 1-3 against Durrow was suspended and Joe Maher was sent off in the first half.

It was remarkable that Ferbane won the second half 2-7 to 0-04 with none of those players playing and says a lot about where Edenderry are at, who it should be noted, drew with Tullamore.

Ferbane really shouldn’t be able to win this championship with the team they currently have but they have a chance because of how poor everyone else is and will be hoping to draw Durrow in the semi final.

A full strength Ferbane side would have definitely won this championship and should do so in future years.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

FerbaneInsider wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:45 am A full strength Ferbane side would have definitely won this championship and should do so in future years.
How come they only won 1 title in the past years and the ref won that one for them.

A full strength Rhode side would win pulling up. :lol: :lol:

FerbaneInsider
Junior A

Post by FerbaneInsider »

summerindublin wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:43 am
FerbaneInsider wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:45 am A full strength Ferbane side would have definitely won this championship and should do so in future years.
How come they only won 1 title in the past years and the ref won that one for them.

A full strength Rhode side would win pulling up. :lol: :lol:
“In the past years”, maybe because some of Ferbane’s best players were still 18 and 19.

And the ref didn’t win that one for them, Cian Johnson’s two goals did.

Rhode got it up their arse to beat this injury ridden Ferbane side two weeks ago, needing an all time tally from Niall to pull them through. He never should have been marked by Shane Nally and rest assured he won’t get 3-8 again anytime soon...