Offaly GAA Progress

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
jimbob17
All Star

Offaly GAA Progress

Post by jimbob17 »

Lads, isn't it great to say it and see it but there is a huge lift in Offaly GAA currently - credit where it is due.

From where we were 5/6 years ago, it is huge. Getting to 2 Leinster finals last year in minor level in hurling and football is backed up with a very decent U20 performance tonight in hurling and U20s footballers in Leinster final too with a genuine chance. This is feeding in to two senior teams that got promotion this year from respective divisions. If we were told we would be where we are two years ago (Div 1 hurling and Div 2 football with a good few Leinster finals behind us at underage), we would have taken the hand off.

Faithful Fields no doubt has played a role in that it is a great place to go training and as a result it is easier for lads to commit - but I would suggest there is a bigger picture also. Both senior squads seem like they are harmonious squads to be in and when people work together well, the outcomes are generally better. For what it is worth I thought it was just worth acknowledging. God knows there has been enough sledging and negativity over the years.
jimbob

ah lethimoutwithit
All Star

Re: Offaly GAA Progress

Post by ah lethimoutwithit »

Here here! And up to anyone who can to get stuck in at club level and feed this momentum, because of there's one thing we are good at in this county is taking things for granted!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Should Division 1 League hurling not be the minimum expectation within the county? It facilitates 12 counties so we don't even have to be in Liam McCarthy to be in it.

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

i think before we start thinking about div 1 and surviving there, we have to challenge the teams on the second rung. like antrim westmeath and laois . we seem to have a huge ability in the forwards to put up big scores. but we concede a good bit too. that maybe is where the problems will surface?.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Yeah, offaly should expect to be in Div 1. But also thst they will most likely be relegated out of Div 1. Winning the relegation final and the joe mcdonagh next year would be a good year.

Turnover
Junior C

Post by Turnover »

frankthetank wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:47 pm Should Division 1 League hurling not be the minimum expectation within the county? It facilitates 12 counties so we don't even have to be in Liam McCarthy to be in it.
It should be but given the slide we've been on since the new millennium and especially the last few years, not to be taken for granted. Plenty were apprehensive going into this season. I don't know how many times over the last 10-15 I've thought Offaly had hit rock bottom only for things to get worse. It's good to see we seem to finally be back on the right track

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think the work at underage has to be commended & while we haven’t won a lot of finals along the way, we have competed at all age groups now for the last few years.

I think it’s probably too early to talk about progress with the senior teams as I think our footballers are very much in the same situation that we were in 3 yrs ago where we could play lovely football, be leading a team well and then find ourselves clinging on for a win!!
Staying in Division 2 will be a massive for us, as how often in the past 5 years or so would we have beaten any more of the Division 2 counties at senior level, never would be my guess, so that’s going to have to change.
The hurlers did all that was asked of them this season and have definitely made progress but coming from a much lower base than the footballers let’s not get too carried away.
The league will be a real indication of where we need to improve to start to hold our own in Division 1 and hopefully we don’t become a yo-yo team between Division 1 & 2 as that will do nothing for these players, but then again if we’re getting 4 or 5 hefty league beatings every year getting players to commit is going to be a struggle.
The Untouchable

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Ya I agree, I definitely wouldn't be getting too carried away by the hurlers results this year.

They beat some really poor opposition both in league and championship. With all due respect championship wins over Sligo, Wicklow and a Derry team whose starting 15 was picked from 3 clubs is nothing to get too excited about.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Huge progress been made across the board, a friend of mine was saying ever time he turns on the TV offaly are playing in some sort of final. 5 years ago offaly couldn't win a first round game or any game.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

While a hurling man first, I think the footballers (outside the U20's performances) are probably a bit more stable in their progress than the hurlers, for eh simple fact the oppositonn while not top notch was even enough for Division 3 and when push came to shove for once this year we e showed abit of metal and got some good wins we would not have held out for in other years. Yes, Derry gave us a rollicking in the Division 3 final (our media talk about it as if it was the main Division one final - steady on and all that) So I think we will be competitive in Division 2 and while we might be in relegation places, it will bring on the team those games..we might survive, and its a might only...the hurlers yes, done what was asked, played well though in fairness, we won some games last year in league etc. but the performances were very very poor...Derry in hurling were without some of their first name players this year, and lets be fair, Derry with their big names are no where near as poor as they were last Sunday, that needs to be said and in fairness one or two of the players and management acknowledged that. Derry are certainly not as good as Offaly but for all Offalys shooting of 41 points we stil only won by 21 points, which was a reflection of the game for sure, but Offaly scoring no goals, while not needed was a bit of worry. Derry got 2 goals, and two good goals they were (without their top players - just to put in in perspective) wins by 21 points are not uncommon, Kilkenny beat us by 28 when people thought we hadnt slipped as far as we ended up slipping...Division 2 and Joe McDonagh will be the test, and as someone said, I am a bit worried about one or two heavy beatings (not kilkenny proportions but maybe something like the 21 we beat Derry by. Will Oisin Kelly and Johh Murphy score 11 points from play against Clare, or Galway or Wexford or whoeever is in Divison 2???...I doubt it some how, and thats the step up, 2 players scoring 4 or 5 points each from play..doing it against Derry is one thing...look we have improved for sure, look more relaxed etc...looking forward to the tests next year when hopefully thing will be heading back to near normal...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:21 pm While a hurling man first, I think the footballers (outside the U20's performances) are probably a bit more stable in their progress than the hurlers, for eh simple fact the oppositonn while not top notch was even enough for Division 3 and when push came to shove for once this year we e showed abit of metal and got some good wins we would not have held out for in other years. Yes, Derry gave us a rollicking in the Division 3 final (our media talk about it as if it was the main Division one final - steady on and all that) So I think we will be competitive in Division 2 and while we might be in relegation places, it will bring on the team those games..we might survive, and its a might only...the hurlers yes, done what was asked, played well though in fairness, we won some games last year in league etc. but the performances were very very poor...Derry in hurling were without some of their first name players this year, and lets be fair, Derry with their big names are no where near as poor as they were last Sunday, that needs to be said and in fairness one or two of the players and management acknowledged that. Derry are certainly not as good as Offaly but for all Offalys shooting of 41 points we stil only won by 21 points, which was a reflection of the game for sure, but Offaly scoring no goals, while not needed was a bit of worry. Derry got 2 goals, and two good goals they were (without their top players - just to put in in perspective) wins by 21 points are not uncommon, Kilkenny beat us by 28 when people thought we hadnt slipped as far as we ended up slipping...Division 2 and Joe McDonagh will be the test, and as someone said, I am a bit worried about one or two heavy beatings (not kilkenny proportions but maybe something like the 21 we beat Derry by. Will Oisin Kelly and Johh Murphy score 11 points from play against Clare, or Galway or Wexford or whoeever is in Divison 2???...I doubt it some how, and thats the step up, 2 players scoring 4 or 5 points each from play..doing it against Derry is one thing...look we have improved for sure, look more relaxed etc...looking forward to the tests next year when hopefully thing will be heading back to near normal...
I know we beat some weaker teams, but that’s where Offaly hurlers are in the league and Christy Ring Cup. 21 points is a wide margin in any game, even without raising a green flag.
It will be hard for both hurlers and footballers in next year’s leagues, no one doubts that.
Let’s enjoy the moment, it has been a good year for Offaly GAA.

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

A rising tide lifts all boats, and a little bit of momentum permeates through all levels: youngsters training in any club now have success on the horizon, and I'd imagine coaches in any club can see this.
Of course the challenges will be steeper next year, but the difference a bit of positivity makes is immense, and makes a bit of progress that bit easier. I definitely think the Faithful Fields is a huge contributory factor, but its also important to acknowledge all the parties that contributed to this year's successes, especially those that went about fighting fires when times were rough and helping to pave the way towards the now. I know Conor Clancy and Michael Cleary have been doing huge work in the hurling end, but I'd like to mention Alan Mulhall and especially Liam O'Reilly for the huge amount of work they put in this last number of years: 2 men whose contribution has been invaluable.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Yes, there has been a cultural and attitude change for the better in terms of preparation. As pointed out we have several people doing good work in the background and there are better structures in place to allow them do so. There are also plans for further expansion as has been outlined by Michael Duignan.

A decade ago there would have been a lot more grumbling about how 'men with medals' needed to be holding the levers and dismissal of the coaches and games development admins based on their playing pedigree, or maybe even that a mighty county like Offaly was above all this.

Remember in 2015 Paudie Butler as national hurling coordinator noted that for the duration of his role, Offaly were the county that called him least looking for assistance.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Bord na Mona man wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:27 am Yes, there has been a cultural and attitude change for the better in terms of preparation. As pointed out we have several people doing good work in the background and there are better structures in place to allow them do so. There are also plans for further expansion as has been outlined by Michael Duignan.

A decade ago there would have been a lot more grumbling about how 'men with medals' needed to be holding the levers and dismissal of the coaches and games development admins based on their playing pedigree, or maybe even that a mighty county like Offaly was above all this.

Remember in 2015 Paudie Butler as national hurling coordinator noted that for the duration of his role, Offaly were the county that called him least looking for assistance.
Paudie Butler?

Please.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Go on expand, frank.