Club Hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
frankthetank
All Star

Re: Club Hurling championship

Post by frankthetank »

If the seeding and structure of the 2021 championship is in place for 2022 (6 teams are actually qualifying for the knockouts mext year) I would envisage CG would have to beat Seir Kieran and Kinnitty to stay up.

Can’t see it happening.

The 2 things the group stages will finalise are

1) which one of the following 7 will miss the knockouts - Banagher, Coolderry, K/K, Shinrone, Belmont, Ballinamere, Birr and

2) which one of the following 3 will avoid the relegation final - Clodiagh Gaels, Kinnitty, Seir Kieran.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

So so disappointed for St.Rynaghs today.
I haven't been this excited during a game for another club in a long long time.
Couple of things come to mind. Firstly, the set up for the first 15 minutes was going to make scoring practically impossible for Rynaghs. At times 6 defenders on 3 plus Ballyhale had a significant size advantage. When this was adjusted and they went more or less 15 on 15 the game completely transformed.
The sending off I was too far away to see exactly the contact but I'll repeat what I said a few weeks back about Alan Mc's sending off........if you go flying in and make contact with the head there may well be consequences.
Rynaghs ultimately couldn't land the killer blow and that killer blow would have been to make it a 4 point lead on the 60 minute mark when chances to do that were fluffed.
Ballyhale have struggled in the last 2 games and look like there is nowhere near a 60 minute performance in them. Clough Ballacolla have a great chance next weekend.
Rynaghs did Offaly proud today but just fell short.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

Heartbreaking for Rynaghs today. I thought they had just done enough. Some serious individual performance amongst a brilliant team performance. What a start they gave BS and a brilliant turnaround after the first water break. Stephen Wynne as extra man was a significant difference in the second half but can’t not mention Ben Conneelly, Joey O’Connor, Paul Quirke, Sean Dolan and Luke O’Connor. Ronan Hughes did well too.
Joey Holden was outstanding from start to finish and got stronger as game went on. Evan shefflin and Richie reid were strong too. Adrian Mullen did ok but hit a few bad wides. TJ was ok but not exceptional apart from extra time he stepped up a bit as Rynaghs tired.

They did Offaly proud today having being totally written off.

I think Clough Ballincolla will give them a serious rattle next Sunday and wouldn’t be surprised to see them win.
Doon exile....

italia90
Junior A

Post by italia90 »

A few thoughts on today's game.
First off fair play to Rynaghs. A hammering looked on the cards early on and they knuckled down and fought their way back into the game. I thought the red card was harsh, but haven't had the chance to see it back yet. It was definitely a foul but don't think there was any malicious intent with it. It had a huge bearing on the game, mainly due to the excellence of Stephen Wynne in the sweeper role. Rynaghs should have been further ahead near the end but couldn't get out of range. Speaking to people under the stand at the end of full time in normal time almost everyone felt ballyhale would push on in extra time and that Rynaghs had emptied the tank. And so it was. Rynaghs gave everything, done themselves and the county proud.
As has been previously said here several time, rynaghs are the one team in Offaly who look reasonably comfortable playing through the lines. Ballyhale at times today looked a few levels above in this area, always finding or creating these pockets of space with the support runners arriving at the right moment. In the first half about 4 puckouts in a row from ballyhale went into the same area over on terrace side which had been vacated and they had lads hitting it at speed. It was impressive. Rynaghs to their credit then went man to man and fought their way back into it. Sometimes within a game, it's better to just stick to your man even if he's dragging you around, rather than trying to read the game. Rynaghs worked hard and at times mixed their play quiet well. Indeed for last ten minutes ballyhale were just hanging on, often resorting to long high balls down on top of Ben Connelly in the 6 channel.
I feel the next step for rynaghs, and more importantly Offaly hurling, is the understanding of when to go and make the selfless support run and when to switch play etc. The best teams are not stuck to one style of play. Mixing it up is part and parcel of the game. These things take time and confidence. A tough defeat to take for rynaghs but a game that will bring them on a huge amount.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It's very unfortunate that Rynagh's didn't hold out having spent most of the match on top - outscoring Ballyhale by 12 points in the 45 minutes leading up to the finish.
Still, it's very encouraging from an Offaly point of view when you look at how many elite players Ballyhale had in their line up.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

italia90 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:51 pm I feel the next step for rynaghs, and more importantly Offaly hurling, is the understanding of when to go and make the selfless support run and when to switch play etc. The best teams are not stuck to one style of play. Mixing it up is part and parcel of the game. These things take time and confidence. A tough defeat to take for rynaghs but a game that will bring them on a huge amount.
Your username is 'italia90' where Ireland launched everything towards the heads of Quinn and Cascarino, but you're saying Offaly teams need to vary it! :mrgreen:

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

How Rynaghs lost lost that late goal was shocking, putting the ball out for 65 appeared unncessary (easy say that from stands I know) but lordy me lift the ball and head for the corner flag or pull on it towards the sideline..the 20 seconds would have near passed by the time the line ball would be taken..and someone has to get on the end of the lobbed in 65 at any cost almost, when the ball did drop to the ground it was there too long as they say...but look easy say that from the stand or watching it on TV...it was a great chance to lift Offaly hurling on another step...Rynaghs have a huge panel with lots young hurlers but seem to be bringing on the same subs, who we have to concede, they must be showing well in training to be getting on..eperrience and all is one thing but impact too is another...you get one chance against Kilkenny teams and you have to take it...the Ballyhale sending off might appear harsh but the ref/linemen only got to see it once and have to make a call within seconds or a minute or so, so at first viewing to me it did appear dangerous and high...Rynaghs never got 4 or 5 ahead and that 3 point lead was always dangerous to mind...hard luck all..

Bord na Mona man
All Star

It was definitely a red card from the clip I saw.
Hit to the head, elbow raised.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I thought so too but the recovery was miraculous almost (now he was down a good bit in fairness)..look it was a break Rynaghs got and lordy me to win that game would have been great lift to Offaly heading into the year ahead..not that it was going to be the total fix but certainly would be putting us back on the map in a big way...hard luck to the lads...replica of county final in ways and these things come and go and so be it...

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:54 pm I thought so too but the recovery was miraculous almost (now he was down a good bit in fairness).
Aside from injuring a fella or not, you don't even have to connect with him to get the line.
An attempted strike is treated the same as a strike.

AGGRESSIVE FOULS
Category II Infractions
5.1 To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent with arm, elbow, hand or knee.

Red all day for me.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

For the dreamers here who expect last Sunday's game to have a positive effect on the Offaly Senior intercounty team:

In November 2014, Kilcormac drew with Ballyhale and only lost in extra time. Following year, Offaly Seniors were at nothing.

In November 2018, Coolderry drew with Ballyboden St Enda's, only losing after multiple extra time and three men sent off. Following year, Offaly Seniors were humiliated th throughout league and championship.

There is no correlation between the performance of the Offaly champions in Leinster and the Senior intercounty team, I'm afraid.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Absolutely correct - club success doesn’t mean inter county success. But in fairness to the comments, I think lads were just saying it’d be a lift to see an Offaly club team do well. I don’t think anyone one would be expecting us to be beating Kilkenny if Rynaghs beat Ballyhale

seany123
Junior B
Club: Junior

Post by seany123 »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:37 pm For the dreamers here who expect last Sunday's game to have a positive effect on the Offaly Senior intercounty team:

In November 2014, Kilcormac drew with Ballyhale and only lost in extra time. Following year, Offaly Seniors were at nothing.

In November 2018, Coolderry drew with Ballyboden St Enda's, only losing after multiple extra time and three men sent off. Following year, Offaly Seniors were humiliated th throughout league and championship.

There is no correlation between the performance of the Offaly champions in Leinster and the Senior intercounty team, I'm afraid.
Oh and well done Rynaghs!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

The other thing is most people outside Offaly or Kilkenny just see Ballyhale 3-24 Rynaghs 2-18, spot the 9 point win and shrug "ah as expected". They aren't even aware it was after extra time.
A win would have added to the general feel good factor around Offaly GAA right now but an honourable defeat will be quickly forgotten. Thats life.
For what it's worth I can tell you Ballyhale will not be winning the All Ireland this year regardless what the bookies think.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:45 pm The other thing is most people outside Offaly or Kilkenny just see Ballyhale 3-24 Rynaghs 2-18, spot the 9 point win and shrug "ah as expected". They aren't even aware it was after extra time.
A win would have added to the general feel good factor around Offaly GAA right now but an honourable defeat will be quickly forgotten. Thats life.
For what it's worth I can tell you Ballyhale will not be winning the All Ireland this year regardless what the bookies think.
Will Clough/Ballacolla beat them on Sunday, or will Ballyhale fall in the semi finals/ final?