Club Hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
frankthetank
All Star

Re: Club Hurling championship

Post by frankthetank »

aigne wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:03 am
private joker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:20 am How are edenderry doing this year in junior hurling?
Very good win in first round, looked like they were going to continue Junior B momentum into Junior A. Lost 3 scoring forwards then to injuries and other unavoidable reasons, and then a couple of narrow defeats and momentum lost. For most of team, past 16 months was first time playing adult hurling, so hopefully for hurling in east Offaly progress will continue. Great to see the underage work being done in Edenderry as well, there has not been as many underage hurling teams in Edenderry in decades
Edenderry were in the Minor B final in 2017 which they lost to CRC Gaels by 4-20 to 2-05.

Why a team would enter a B competition when they are 21 points bette than the 2nd best team in it is a question for another day?

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Correct me if I am wrong but with the amount of good hurlers that have come through CRC gaels underage in last 10 years or so, are Carrig Riverstown underperforming at adult level or are they just about where they should be? I'd have expected a reasonably decent senior team (Senior B minimum) to be coming out of there at this stage or am I wrong?
jimbob

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Somthing very odd with carrig. Won all their games this year , won division 3 league. Then lose to birrs 2nd team in County semi. Have a lot of underage teams coming through as CRC gaels but their refusal to join up with crinkle was a bad decision in my opinion. Lastly, in u21 I cant understand why CRC gaels don't field their own team. Joining up with birr at u21 level leaves a lot of players on the sideline not getting game time.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

private joker wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:41 pm Somthing very odd with carrig. Won all their games this year , won division 3 league. Then lose to birrs 2nd team in County semi. Have a lot of underage teams coming through as CRC gaels but their refusal to join up with crinkle was a bad decision in my opinion. Lastly, in u21 I cant understand why CRC gaels don't field their own team. Joining up with birr at u21 level leaves a lot of players on the sideline not getting game time.
When did they refuse to join up with Crinkill ?

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

New to this forum. Would like to know if anyone has any views on what happened with Ballinamere in the junior B championship this year. Only played 1 game (hammered by Birr) received 2 walkovers which earned them a quarter final spot and then they gave St Rynaghs a walkover in that game. Looks like the championship was poorly set up given the history of teams pulling out most years. Surely 2 groups of 6 would have made for a better championship??

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

private joker I think your post about is factually incorrect
in relation to carrig they really only had one group of underage players who were successful they have 3 or 4 of that team on the intermediate team. it was not a big shock that Birr beat them as Birr had 4 or 5 very strong lads with plenty of youth aroun the team also.

I think carrig will always be intermediate maybe senior b but couldnt see them going higher as they are simply not good enough! (no harm either :D )

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

I think Carrig’s biggest problem is no strength in depth. Haven’t seen them hurl this year but from what I heard they had very little on the line to bring in and make a difference. However there is plenty of talk lately of an amalgamation with Crinkill possibly this winter. It’s the obvious thing for both teams especially with the success Crc Gaels has had. Interesting to see what happens

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Carrig have been unbeaten this year in league and championship. Bet clara in league final and clara are in senior county semi final this weekend. They are also in junior county final. They have had more that "one good team" I've seen them hammered the hell out of coolderry and one or two others in recent underage games and down through the years they are consistently competing against other clubs. The approach by crinkle on the amalgamation has been ongoing both formally and informally for the last 6 or 7 years. I think anyone who has come up through CRC gaels want it and those who didn't are against it.

greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Post by greenairfield »

they havent actually

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Crc Gaels have had some very good teams lately and it’s a set up which clearly works. From what I have heard Crinkill are in serious danger of folding in a few years due to players transferring out, which in my mind is a disgrace to leave your club, especially when it really needs everyone to pull together. It would be a shame to see this happen.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Intermediate & Junior B finals this weekend. Who’s going to win ? I’m backing Shamrocks for intermediate and Birr for Junior B

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

I see that 'Cloghan' won the u15 football championship well this week. Great to see diversity in the winners of the underage competitions. Curious to know why the team name is Cloghan? Is it separate from St. Rynaghs or Rynaghs football by a different name? Is it an amalgamation/mixture of a few clubs?

Genuine question by the way, in case there is some back history here that I am not aware of. :)

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

llkj wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:14 pm I see that 'Cloghan' won the u15 football championship well this week. Great to see diversity in the winners of the underage competitions. Curious to know why the team name is Cloghan? Is it separate from St. Rynaghs or Rynaghs football by a different name? Is it an amalgamation/mixture of a few clubs?

Genuine question by the way, in case there is some back history here that I am not aware of. :)
Kevin Corrigan answered my question. Quote from his match report online:

“Cloghan have emerged as a real force on the underage football scene in Offaly in the past few years. While their stronghold is St Rynagh's Football Club, they have the pick of a lot of permission players from across south Offaly – areas where football isn't catered for. Their squad here included players from Shinrone, Lusmagh, Ballyskenach-Killavilla and Drumcullen and they were just very strong on the evening.”

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

A lot being made of Cloghan football. Its one of the only clubs in the south west of the county trying to keep the game going. Ruling changes things for next year so a lot of those same players will have to play with Birr, presumably as its geographically closer. There is a twitter thread out there with a discussion about it, interesting points made.

Dodge83
All Star

Post by Dodge83 »

Can anyone explain to me what is the whole point in playing cris cross in championship groups ? It was used in the junior hurling championship this year and because 4 teams finished on the same points there is now a playoff group to decide who progresses, which will drag on for a few weeks. This is unfair to the other teams who qualified and now must wait for these games to be played and will find it hard to get challenge games to keep themselves sharp. What was wrong with the traditional group set up ??