Club Hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
greenairfield
All Star
Club: birr

Re: Club Hurling championship

Post by greenairfield »

this weekends matches :
Birr v Drumcullen
I cant see anything other than a big Birr win here.

Coolderry v Belmont
I am going to go with a Belmont by about 5

St.Rynaghs v Kinnitty
Convincing win for the county champions here.

Clareen v K/K
I think K/K while disappointed over last week and probably looking at new players should win this handy enough.

B/D v Shinrone
This will probably be the tighest game of the lot I think shinrone might edge through.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

greenairfield wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:01 am this weekends matches :
Birr v Drumcullen
I cant see anything other than a big Birr win here.

Coolderry v Belmont
I am going to go with a Belmont by about 5

St.Rynaghs v Kinnitty
Convincing win for the county champions here.

Clareen v K/K
I think K/K while disappointed over last week and probably looking at new players should win this handy enough.

B/D v Shinrone
This will probably be the tighest game of the lot I think shinrone might edge through.
Winners yesterday. Birr, Coolderry, St. Rynagh’s and KK. Shinrone won a high scoring game v Ballinamere / Durrow.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Edenderry 2-14 Clodiagh Gaels 1-12 junior A championship first round. Good win on their return to the grade for the reds.
CG looked poor at times and but for a 15 minute spell in the second half they played second fiddle to Edenderry who got a great start going 5 to no score up in the first half.

Great evening for hurling and good attendance at the match.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Senior b, wins for tullamore, lusma and clara. All close scorelines. Will be a close championship.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

private joker wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:45 am Senior b, wins for tullamore, lusma and clara. All close scorelines. Will be a close championship.
Good win for Tullamore v promotion v Clodiagh Gaels, who were tipped in some columns as promotion favourites. Going to be an interesting campaign, Tullamore will push hard for promotion.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Tullamore game was very fast, good pace to it but a lot of handling errors. Clara off to a great start scoring 2- 3 in the first 15 minutes, were in control until last quarter.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Anyone have fixtures for the next round of matches? God forbid players might have something else on :x

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

11 point average winning margain over the 5 senior matches in Round 1. Not going to jump to any conclusions after one round, but it is a worrying start. Too often in the past, we had too many games where the outcome was known before the game started. It leads to teams being able to pick and choose what games they target and some teams with their only ambition of staying senior for the following year. Hoping for more competitive games in round 2.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

allstar2010 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:29 pm Anyone have fixtures for the next round of matches? God forbid players might have something else on :x
12th of September next round of hurling. You should check with your club secretary.

chimbonda
County player

Post by chimbonda »

Birr v Seir Kieran
Birr 2-20 Seir Kieran 1-15

Kinnitty v Drumcullen
Kinnitty 0-16 Drumcullen 0-15

KK v Belmont
KK 3-18 Belmont 1-15

Ballinamere v St Rynaghs
Ballinamere 1-15 St Rynaghs 2-22

Shinrone v Coolderry
Shinrone 1-14 Coolderry 1-20

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

A few random thoughts on the weekend’s action. I didn’t see any Senior hurling last year, or in round 1, so I don’t have much to go on.

The Seir Kieran team that lined out against Kilcormac a fortnight ago looked fierce inexperienced. Appears the team that reached three U21 finals in 2008, 2009 & 2010 (winning the first one) is breaking up on them. Unless there were a few short term injuries who are soon set to return, they will struggle. They’ve Kinnitty, Ballinamere and Coolderry left.

I was at the recent Senior B final. I thought Drumcullen’s intimidatory tactics were disgusting. Nasty, niggly stuff from the start, late ‘tackles’ that went unpunished. Unfortunate for hurling that there was a referee who was happy to facilitate them in the name of ‘let the play flow'. Tommy Leahy was continually targeted by his former club, and was afforded no protection. And then the newspaper report apportioned the blame evenly between the teams and praised the referee for keeping it all under control!
Kinnitty were rattled that day, before they pulled away in the fourth quarter. Forewarned this time, they should do better, but the availability of injured trio Shane Kinsella, Colm Coughlan and Odhrán Kealey will be critical.

Coolderry v Shinrone will be a crucial ‘swing state’. League winners Coolderry continue to defy logic with Barry Teehan (39 this year), Brian Carroll (38), Trevor Corcoran (35) still a vital part of the team, though David Connolly, Cían Burke, Gearóid McCormack, David Tooher and Ciarán Teehan have stepped up. On paper, Shinrone looks like a good team. Killian Sampson was one of Offaly’s better performers this year, they’ve enough speed and enough lads in their late 20s. In 2019, Conor Doughan was effective in the ‘false 11’ role, and I can only assume they are doing something similar this year.
Shinrone have Kilcormac, Birr and Kinnitty after this, while Coolderry have St Rynagh’s, Drumcullen and Seir Kieran. So it’s possible the winners here can go on to win four out of five and reach the semi-finals. Sunday is the stepping stone.

I looked at Belmont’s lineup prior to their first round against Coolderry and thought it just seemed to be to be lacking in enough leaders. Hard to see them getting anything against Kilcormac, and they’ll be looking to fixtures against Birr, Kinnitty and Ballinamere for their quota of wins.

Nothing more to be added for now.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

For me, the 2 most interesting games of the weekend in the context of how the final positions will play out are the games that POTH has mostly alluded to: Shinrone v Coolderry and Drumcullen v Kinnitty. However the outlook is vastly different for the teams involved.

If we take it as guaranteed that K/K and St Rynaghs are nailed on to take 2 of the top 4 spots, there are 2 spots remaining. And I feel that the winners of this game will have 2 wins under their belt, have great momentum and go onto make the top 4. Of course the $64,000 question is who will win it. Their last meeting in 2019 in Rath led to a comprehensive Shinrone win but the general consensus is that Coolderry have improved dramatically since then. Yet this Coolderrry team scraped by Clareen last year by a point and got an unmerciful beating off Birr in the group game. Their performance in this year's league final was top drawer but Shinrone were down some key regulars - Michael Cleary and Conor Doughan among them - so can we read much into it? Maybe we would be better off reading into the 4 goals Shinrone scored against Ballinamere? Coolderry are definitely a better team than 2020, probably short of being championship contenders (famous last words!!) and the easy thing would be to give them the nod. But over the last number of years Shinrone have a great record in group games (not much pressure you see!!) and this game isn't quite do or die so their mental frailty shouldn't play a part so I give them a hesitant vote.

Kinnitty and Drumcullen on the other hand aren't really concerning themselves with semi - final places. However for them this game is of massive importance. I think it's a given that whoever loses this will be a dead cert for one of the places in the relegation final as it's impossible to see the loser pick up 2 wins in the last 3 games to drag the other team and possibly one of Ballinamere or Clareen into relegation strife aswell. Definitely no love lost between these 2 sets of players as was clearly evident in their group game last year and the final a few weeks ago. Ironically both teams are somewhat similiar as they both have a good set of backs but struggle to keep the scoreboard ticking over. For example in Round 1 if you combined their scores, (1-27) this would have lost to K/K and been only good enough to draw with Shinrone. As POTH mentioned Kinnitty have 3 major injury worries in the forward line and if 2 of these are out I would fancy Drumcullen to sneak a win. However if all those guys are fit I give Kinnitty the nod by a couple of points in a low scoring game.

As for the other games:
Kilcormac /Killoughey to beat Belmont
St Rynaghs to beat Ballinamere
Birr to beat Clareen (Absolutely crazy bringing this game to OCP by the way!!)

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:02 pm For me, the 2 most interesting games of the weekend in the context of how the final positions will play out are the games that POTH has mostly alluded to: Shinrone v Coolderry and Drumcullen v Kinnitty. However the outlook is vastly different for the teams involved.

If we take it as guaranteed that K/K and St Rynaghs are nailed on to take 2 of the top 4 spots, there are 2 spots remaining. And I feel that the winners of this game will have 2 wins under their belt, have great momentum and go onto make the top 4. Of course the $64,000 question is who will win it. Their last meeting in 2019 in Rath led to a comprehensive Shinrone win but the general consensus is that Coolderry have improved dramatically since then. Yet this Coolderrry team scraped by Clareen last year by a point and got an unmerciful beating off Birr in the group game. Their performance in this year's league final was top drawer but Shinrone were down some key regulars - Michael Cleary and Conor Doughan among them - so can we read much into it? Maybe we would be better off reading into the 4 goals Shinrone scored against Ballinamere? Coolderry are definitely a better team than 2020, probably short of being championship contenders (famous last words!!) and the easy thing would be to give them the nod. But over the last number of years Shinrone have a great record in group games (not much pressure you see!!) and this game isn't quite do or die so their mental frailty shouldn't play a part so I give them a hesitant vote.

Kinnitty and Drumcullen on the other hand aren't really concerning themselves with semi - final places. However for them this game is of massive importance. I think it's a given that whoever loses this will be a dead cert for one of the places in the relegation final as it's impossible to see the loser pick up 2 wins in the last 3 games to drag the other team and possibly one of Ballinamere or Clareen into relegation strife aswell. Definitely no love lost between these 2 sets of players as was clearly evident in their group game last year and the final a few weeks ago. Ironically both teams are somewhat similiar as they both have a good set of backs but struggle to keep the scoreboard ticking over. For example in Round 1 if you combined their scores, (1-27) this would have lost to K/K and been only good enough to draw with Shinrone. As POTH mentioned Kinnitty have 3 major injury worries in the forward line and if 2 of these are out I would fancy Drumcullen to sneak a win. However if all those guys are fit I give Kinnitty the nod by a couple of points in a low scoring game.

As for the other games:
Kilcormac /Killoughey to beat Belmont
St Rynaghs to beat Ballinamere
Birr to beat Clareen (Absolutely crazy bringing this game to OCP by the way!!)
Correct about the last comment. Rath would seem to be the obvious venue.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I havent been on in a while with other stuff going on..I see SHC is tipping on nicely. Rynaghs/KK/Coolderry and Birr pace setters so far I think...interesting in Belmont V Kilcormac game yesterday that Belmont never got one score from play I read in a report of the game..I know Oisin Kelly is out for year with his knee and was a huge loss, but even so, 16 points, 15 from frees and 1 line ball..cant remember hearing a stat like than in Offaly SHC in my memory..it could have happened I suppose, very unusual in modern day hurling..I was talking to 2 lads who was at the match last night and they did not know of the not scoring from play stat...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:10 pm I havent been on in a while with other stuff going on..I see SHC is tipping on nicely. Rynaghs/KK/Coolderry and Birr pace setters so far I think...interesting in Belmont V Kilcormac game yesterday that Belmont never got one score from play I read in a report of the game..I know Oisin Kelly is out for year with his knee and was a huge loss, but even so, 16 points, 15 from frees and 1 line ball..cant remember hearing a stat like than in Offaly SHC in my memory..it could have happened I suppose, very unusual in modern day hurling..I was talking to 2 lads who was at the match last night and they did not know of the not scoring from play stat...
An unusual stat about 16 scores from placed balls FairPlay. Did your informants say if KK conceded a lot of frees in the match?
2 of the games were won by 2 point margins, Coolderry and St. Rynagh’s the winners. 1 game won by KK, 3 points the difference. Birr won by circa 9 points I think, and Kinnitty defeated Drumcullen by 6 points.