Club Hurling championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Club Hurling championship

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ballinamere's first win over Drumcullen.

Belmont scored 0-2 from play, but their 0-11 total was enough to get them over the line. And they've yet to score a goal.

A tenth straight win for St Rynagh's. Their record is 14. (Applies to straight wins, draws break the run.)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

frankthetank wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:19 pm
SearingDrive wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:47 pm Belmont pulled off a shock win yesterday. If they can get another win, they are in contention for the knockout stages. KK and St. Rynagh’s are on maximum points after 3 games, Coolderry and Birr are on 4 points, Belmont, Kinnitty, and Shinrone are on 2 points. Ballinamere are pointless, along with Drumcullen and Seir Kieran. Hope I got that right, still think Ballinamere can win their final games, a big if. The final 2 rounds will be interesting.

Semi finalists. KK and St. Rynagh’s.
Quarter finalists. Coolderry, Birr, Belmont and Shinrone.
Relegation. Drumcullen and Seir Kieran.
Searing Drive, I've a sneaking suspicion you had a few pints yesterday....!!!

1. Ballinamere are on 2 points. They beat Drumcullen 0-17 to 0-15 yesterday

2. Kinnitty are on 4 points following wins over Drumcullen 2 weeks ago and a 0-17 to 1-12 win over Clareen yesterday.

3. There are no Q-Finals. Top 4 make semi - finals.
No comment. I wasn’t fully up to speed with the results, (should have been), but thanks for the update.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I robbed this of Twitter a few mins ago.

next round is
KK VS Rynagh
Birr vs Shinrone
Kinnitty vs Belmont
Ballinamere vs Seir Kieran
Coolderry vs Drumcullen

Table is at the bottom:

Shinrone, Belmont Ballinamere need to win to stay in the hunt for QF but not impossible if they lose.
Kieran and Drumcullen are facing Misson impossible.

On Paper KK (6) Vs Rynagh(6) is the Tie of the round but in the real world, a loss wouldn't mean a huge amount.

KK has played SK, Belmont, and Shinrone
Outstanding: Belmont, Ballinamere, Kinnitty, Coolderry, and Birr.

Rynagh has played Kinnitty, Ballinamere, Coolderry.
Rynagh's have to play: Birr, Shirone, Belmont, Drumcullen, and SK.

Whoever wins this may well top the group

Birr(4) Vs Shinrone(2), If Birr wins it is very hard for Shinrone to make the QF. should be a good one.

Birr has played: Drumcullen, SK, and Belmont.
Outstanding: KK, Rynagh, Coolderry, Kinnitty, and Ballinamere.

Shirone has played: KK, Coolderry, and Ballinamere
Outstanding: Rynagh, Kinnitty, Belmont, Drumcullen, and SK.

Kinnity(4) vs Belmont(2), In my mind this is the tie of the round. Oisin Kelly has been the difference between them over the last number of years.
This could be a very close game.
(wishing Oisin a speedy recovery from his injury)

Kinnitty Played: Ryanghs, Drumcullen, and SK.
Outstanding: KK, Birr, Coolderry, Shirone, Ballinamere.

Belmont Played: KK, Coolderry, and Shinrone.
Outstanding: Ryanagh, Birr, Ballinamere, Drumcullen, and SK.

Ballinamere(2) vs Seir Kieran(0), Both teams will think they can win this. If Ballinamere wins they thinking that 4 points at the halfway stage would be a good return.

Ballinamere played: Rynaghs, Shinrone, and Drumcullen
Outstanding. KK, Birr, Coolderry, Kinnitty, Belmont

SK Played: KK, Birr, and Kinnitty.
outstanding: Rynaghs, Coolderry, Shinrone, Belmont, Drumcullen.

Coolderry(4) vs Drumcullen (0), Drumcullen has been competitive in the games so far but you would expect Coolderry to have a little too much for Us.

Coolderry played: Rynaghs, Shinrone, Belmont.
outstanding: KK, Birr, Kinnitty, Ballinamere, and SK.

Drumcullen Played: Birr, Ballinamere and Birr.
outstanding: KK, Rynaghs, Shinrone, Belmont, SK

The Group is taking Shape.
There are 12 points left for each team to play for.

KK and Ryanghs will more than likely 1 and 2.
Coolderry is my favorite for the 3 spot. They believe that they can get to 12 to 14 points, That 3 or 4 wins from 6 games. having already beating Shinrone and Belmont.

Kinnity and Birr on 4 points look good on paper but they both beating SK and Drumcullen to get that 4 points. The games this weekend for both of these are massive.
Shinrone, Ballinamere, and Belmont have a bit of work ahead of them. All on 2 points. Belmont with 2 points against Birr was huge.
I think from this group of 5 with Belmont miss Oisin Kelly. Shinrone may get the 4 places. Only cause 3 teams could end up on 10 points and they have the better scoring average.

SK and Drumcullen. with no points look bad, But on the plus side, Drumcullen have been very competitive.
SK will be disappointed with there results so far but Vs Ballinamere is real make-or-break for this team this year.
Attachments
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (119.32 KiB) Viewed 7660 times
“Common sense is not so common.”

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Toxicity- there’s only 2 rounds left! And then top four are into semi finals.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Here, do ye think the championship is still going to be going on after Christmas?

This should help shape the outcome of the group.

Currently with three wins:
St Rynagh’s have Kilcormac and Birr to come
Kilcormac have St Rynagh’s and Drumcullen left

Currently with two wins:
Birr have Shinrone and Rynagh’s left
Coolderry have Drumcullen and Clareen left
Kinnitty have Belmont and Shinrone left

Currently with one win:
Shinrone have Birr and Kinnitty left
Ballinamere have Clareen and Belmont left
Belmont have Kinnitty and Ballinamere left

Currently without a win:
Clareen have Ballinamere and Coolderry left
Drumcullen have Coolderry and Kilcormac left
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Looking at weekend SHC A games 9/10th October:

St. Rynaghs V K/K..I think Rynaghs will have enough to see out KK. Not sure if Sean Dolans red card in football affects him but think it would, so he will be big loss though. KK will be there or there abouts, Rynaghs I think might just sneak this. Rynaghs by 2 points (or a draw)

Birr V Shinrone: Birr will be so disapointed losing to Belmont in last round, a Belmont side that didnt score from play in previous round and were without Oisin Kelly. Where does that leave Birr after 2 opening wins be it against teams they would be expected to beat (no offence to those teams) Shinrone are probably not where they were a few seasons ago when they looked so close to reaching a county final even..they still throw up the odd brilliant performance, and may do so here. If Eoghan Cahill wasnt playing I de say Shinrone might win, I think from play and frees he just midght be the diferernce here, Birr by 4

Belmont V Kinnitty- Kinitty with 2 wins and Belmont with 1, all to play for here..I would imagine Belmont are looking at this game as winable for them, and it is for sure, if they get up to a level to dominate. Kinnity will certainly not fear Belmont one bit..this will be a close game I think, Belmont by 2 points or so if they get stuck in, if not Kinnity will haul them in and anything could happen. Oisin Kelly huge loss, but these things happen, a chance for someone else to offer a different angle as they say.

Coolderry V Drumcullen...hard to see past Cooderry here, Drumcullen will be competiive for sure for a fair spell but one would think Coolderry will pull away in last 15 minutes or so. Coolderry by 5/6.

Ballinamere V Seir kieran - I think this will be a close game start to finish, both teams have struggled abit to get points on th board. Ballinamere appear to have more players needed to get over the line. Seir Kieran will not lack apetite and wont give up until the final whistle, one would expect Ballinamere however to have enough fire power over all, to win by 3/4 points. This game is a tough one to call.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Birr have the hardest last game from what I see...Belmont have difficult last game too...Coolderry for 3rd spot and 4th is up for grabs..

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

It’s a bit mad to think that wins for Shinrone and Kinnitty this weekend (not beyond the realms of possibility) and that would be all she wrote for Birr and Belmont with a round to spare.

However while I’m on the fence a bit with Birr v Shinrone, I do think that Belmont will beat Kinnitty. Belmont have been serial semi - finalists over the last number of years while Kinnitty were in Senior B in 2020.

Whatever happens this weekend it looks like there’s going to be a mad scramble for that last semi-final place going into the last weekend if we take K/K, Rynaghs and Coolderry as bankers for 3 of the 4 spots. It’s quite feasible that Shinrone, Birr, Kinnitty, Ballinamere and Belmont will all be in the shake up.

When you sum it up like that, it seems that the current format is pretty good. However with a bit more time next year I would like to see the Top 6 qualify in 2022. Top 2 straight to semis and 3 v 6 and 4 v 5 in Q-Finals. 9 v 10 then in relegation.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Looks like Birr’s season is over after Shinrone’s comfortable 7 point victory this evening.

Shinrone were totally dominant after half time and at one stage had a 12 point lead after the game was level at 0-10 each at the break.

Jason Sampson was absolutely outstanding and scored 1-05 from play and won countless amounts amounts of possession whether it be high or low. Could be a real handful going forward. The Shinrone backs were totally dominant in the 2nd half and only for 5 late frees from Eoghan Cahill, Birr’s 2nd half return would have been pretty paltry.

Birr now have St Rynaghs in their last game and need to win that AND have other results go their way. Probably not going to go through. Shinrone on the other hand have real momentum behind them going into their final game vs Kinnitty who are big underdogs this weekend vs Belmont. It’s now shaping up that it’s going to be between Shinrone and Belmont for the 4th semi-final spot. Because they haven’t played each other, score difference looks like it could decide it. Shinrone have a 19 point advantage here at the moment.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Senior b championship is very close. Clara beating closing gaels by a point and big wins for tullamore and lusma. No team from the senior b is really fit for senior A hurling though. Slow ponderous stuff.

Drumcullen got a mother and father of a bateing and ballinamere seem to be coming of age with a good win over Seir kieran.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

6 players sent off in the clodaigh gaels match. 3 for each side.

Hurling2022
Junior B

Post by Hurling2022 »

I believe it was 5 in the match, 3 for Clara and 2 for clodiagh Gaels

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Hurling2022 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:33 pm I believe it was 5 in the match, 3 for Clara and 2 for clodiagh Gaels
3 for each side.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

It was 6, huge win for clara.

Hurling2022
Junior B

Post by Hurling2022 »

Apologies I missed one which was a second yellow. Huge win is right