Offaly u20 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly u20 2021

Post by private joker »

Every centra shop I'd say at least.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

substandard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:57 pm Looking forward to when the conversations revert back to the game- same with the Rossie forum!!
Like most on here, I watched the Roscommon semi final on tv. It was in stark contrast to our game in that it was a wet evening and harder to judge as we played our semi in perfect conditions.

Probably jumping the gun a little but I’d say not as well balanced as our boys. The full back was a big man, one big midfielder (didn’t think he was particularly mobile though). No.12 was a good forward and took nice scores and could kick with both feet. Albeit the Down no5 played his own attacking game which gave 12 more freedom (assuming they were marking each other as difficult to say for sure from tv). Centre forward albeit he scored a good opening goal seemed more a work horse than a Cathal Flynn type player. No10 looked lively too.

Suppose the one big thing is the way they came back. It looked over and they showed great resolve to get back into the game and go on and win it.

That’s my tuppence worth from the one shot I saw Saturday evening so hopefully Lone Shark will come on here and give the much more informed view (including mother and fathers names etc. 😂😂).

Their goalie is a galway man though of two Roscommon parents I believe - plays with Oranmore Maree.
Doon exile....

substandard
All Star
Club: Shamrocks

Post by substandard »

Doon Exile wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:22 pm
substandard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:57 pm Looking forward to when the conversations revert back to the game- same with the Rossie forum!!
Like most on here, I watched the Roscommon semi final on tv. It was in stark contrast to our game in that it was a wet evening and harder to judge as we played our semi in perfect conditions.

Probably jumping the gun a little but I’d say not as well balanced as our boys. The full back was a big man, one big midfielder (didn’t think he was particularly mobile though). No.12 was a good forward and took nice scores and could kick with both feet. Albeit the Down no5 played his own attacking game which gave 12 more freedom (assuming they were marking each other as difficult to say for sure from tv). Centre forward albeit he scored a good opening goal seemed more a work horse than a Cathal Flynn type player. No10 looked lively too.

Suppose the one big thing is the way they came back. It looked over and they showed great resolve to get back into the game and go on and win it.

That’s my tuppence worth from the one shot I saw Saturday evening so hopefully Lone Shark will come on here and give the much more informed view (including mother and fathers names etc. 😂😂).

Their goalie is a galway man though of two Roscommon parents I believe - plays with Oranmore Maree.
Pretty spot on analysis: that tuppence worth putting down (each way :wink: )
For a good part of the game v Down, we looked relatively balanced: Down had a couple of speed merchants that we coped with reasonably well, but Offaly will raise that to a whole new level. Our midfield probably physically stronger, but less mobile than Offaly, so given the famous 'wide open spaces' in Croke Park, and a fine day promised, advantage Offaly here. Every 5 minutes thinking about it has me leaning towards either team, and it's not in their nature to hold back and hang on to a lead, so expecting a rollercoaster.
Hope for the best, expect the worst generally applies when supporting a Rossie team!!

feirmeoir
Intermediate

Post by feirmeoir »

looking for 3 tickets for the match, let me know if you have any leads

thanks

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

feirmeoir wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:07 am looking for 3 tickets for the match, let me know if you have any leads

thanks
Go on the Offaly GAA Facebook page, their is people selling some under recent posts.

offalyman
Senior

Post by offalyman »

Where are we going to get a few pints before the game to discuss tactics ? Any ideas

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

offalyman wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:11 am Where are we going to get a few pints before the game to discuss tactics ? Any ideas
Cans on the train to discuss where were going for pints to discuss tactics

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

feirmeoir wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:07 am looking for 3 tickets for the match, let me know if you have any leads

thanks
Back on sale on Ticketmaster

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

In case you missed it, tickets available again. Seems to be only pods of 4 left in Lower Cusack

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

substandard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:09 pm
Doon Exile wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Pretty spot on analysis: that tuppence worth putting down (each way :wink: )
For a good part of the game v Down, we looked relatively balanced: Down had a couple of speed merchants that we coped with reasonably well, but Offaly will raise that to a whole new level. Our midfield probably physically stronger, but less mobile than Offaly, so given the famous 'wide open spaces' in Croke Park, and a fine day promised, advantage Offaly here. Every 5 minutes thinking about it has me leaning towards either team, and it's not in their nature to hold back and hang on to a lead, so expecting a rollercoaster.
Hope for the best, expect the worst generally applies when supporting a Rossie team!!
I have no time whatseover for this, but I can't resist, so here's my take on the Roscommon team that started against Down and how it will match up.

(1) Conor Carroll: Very steady and solid, he's made a few good stops this year and does particularly well if you don't go low with your shots. Down pushed their goalkeeper out to the full back line and put an extra defender into midfield for the kickouts, that that really discommoded him, with no short option and still outnumbered out the field. I don't think Offaly will do that, but putting pressure on the kickout is very important.

(2) Conor Lohan: Solid lump of a man, very physical, not known for pushing forward or stylish ball playing, but won't let you inside him too handy. You'd imagine they'll try and put him on Cormac Egan.

(3) Colin Walsh: Didn't get picked for the county minor team three years ago, went away to work on himself and his game, and is now the best player on this team. Really physical, but disciplined, well able to play a pass, excellent positional sense. There was talk for a while of moving him out to 6 or even to midfield to get him more involved, but he's been too valuable here. His battle with Bryant will be massive.

(4) Dylan Gaughan: Doesn't stand out, he's more of a 'mind the house' corner back, and would be happier fighting for 50/50 long balls that trying to tackle runners coming in at him.

(5) Paddy Gavin: Very small, but all action, well able to throw himself in for a breaking ball or take a score if needs be. Would be an interesting battle between himself and Cathal Flynn, which again looks like the likely match up.

(6) Tomás Crean: I'm very impressed with this lad, though my view wouldn't be shared by everyone in Roscommon. Does his job very quietly, and man-marked some good opponents out of it in the club championship last year. Not a big horse of a player or a 'stopper' in this role, but will be very clever in how he does about things. He'll drop deep and cover if he's paired up with Oisín Keenan Martin, who will presumably cover acres of ground and try to get involved in every part of the field.

(7) Ruaidhrí Fallon: Connacht underage rugby prospect who has a November birthday, is still underage for this in 2022, and doesn't look very big. Don't be fooled - he's incredibly tough, and was a standout player in the Ros SFC last year, playing midfield for Brigid's and outplaying senior county men over and over. If he gets on the ball, he'll give it simple, or try to draw the foul - so you have to be patient in the tackle on him. Against Down, he was switched to midfield and that completely changed the game.

(8) Keith Doyle: Big lad, good fielder, good all round player. Has had a few injury doubts and is a little inconsistent (didn't play well in the Connacht final, close enough to MOTM against Leitrim and Sligo) but capable of having a big say in the game.

(9) Enda Crawley: This has been a problem position for Roscommon all year, more so since Ronan Garvin (who wasn't a natural midfielder either) was knocked out with a long term injury). Crawley came in against Down and he's a big unit again, but there's no nice way of saying the game passed him by, and I'd be stunned if he starts on Sunday. Expect Fallon to come in here, with either Sean Trundle at 7, or else Crean to 7 and Jack Lohan coming in at 6.

(10) Robbie Dolan: Got an arm injury in the Down game but is fine now. Modern style wing forward in that he could play wing back just as easily, will put in tackles, take scores, get stuck into the running game. Not hugely big, so if for example he was paired up with Rory Egan, that might be a kickout option for Offaly.

(11) Daire Cregg: Wears 12, but plays here. This lad is the real deal, can kick points off either foot and will be playing senior football for Roscommon next year. Decent all rounder, but in the main he's there as a finisher. Gets a lot of his scores when he wheels around and joins an attack late, coming into the line to take a handpass and add the finish.

(12) Darragh Heneghan: I'll be honest, I get the sense with this lad that he'd be more comfortable closer to goal, but there just isn't room for him there, so he ends up playing on the wing. (He'll be named at 15, but again, he'll play here). Adds a nice bit of pace to attacks when he gets involved and can take on a man.

(13) Adam McDermott: Spends long spells of games doing nothing, yet invariably ends up with 1-2 or 1-3 to his name at the end of it all, because when he gets chances, he'll take them. Scored one goal and set up another in the Connacht final through robbing a Mayo defender coming out, so has to be watched in the tackle and definitely will go for goal if it's on.

(14) Ben O'Carroll: I love watching this lad play. Not big at all, nor is he excessively quick, but my word he has all the skills, and can play off two feet. He could go either way in Croke Park - he could use the space and turn into a playmaker and finisher that will dominate the game, or he might find it hard to get into it. But he has to be respected. (May swap positions with McDermott, that changes a fair bit)

(15) James Fitzpatrick: Again, wears 11, but lines out here. Will drop back to pick up ball, as he did for his goal against Down, but he is a goal machine, with five in four games so far. Unlike a lot of Roscommon players, he wants to take you on and go by you, and will do so with a shimmy, dummy or something like that, as opposed to pure straight line speed. Cannot let him get sight of goal if possible.

(Bench) This is the one area where I reckon Roscommon have an advantage. They don't have a lot of midfield options, but up front they have finishers (Jason Doory, Charlie Carthy), David Wynne made a huge impact as a runner in the middle third, and Jack Lohan will either start or he will play a big role coming into the half back line. I would much prefer to see Offaly with a lead going into the final quarter, I wouldn't back us to turn it around at that stage if things aren't going well.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

Extra train added, leaves Tullamore at 10.30 arrives at 11.30. Expect they will be booked out quickly. https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Dammit, Lone Shark, way too much information- thought you were one of us, like!! :evil: :lol:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

substandard wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm Dammit, Lone Shark, way too much information- thought you were one of us, like!! :evil: :lol:
As a man I'd have a fair bit of time for wrote on another forum not unlike this one....
If it was any of 30 other counties, I'd be rooting for them, but no sentiment Sunday!!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

substandard
All Star

Post by substandard »

Lone Shark wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:24 pm
substandard wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:15 pm Dammit, Lone Shark, way too much information- thought you were one of us, like!! :evil: :lol:
As a man I'd have a fair bit of time for wrote on another forum not unlike this one....
If it was any of 30 other counties, I'd be rooting for them, but no sentiment Sunday!!
Touché!!!

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

The very best of luck to all involved with Offaly under 20’s, believe in yourself and believe in each other. I can safely say I haven’t seen anything like the buzz around the whole county in years.
Uibh fhaili Abu