Poll: Will John Maughan and/or Niall McNamee stay on or leave/retire?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Will John Maughan and/or Niall McNamee stay on or leave/retire?

Both John Maughan and Niall McNamee will stay
64%
John Maughan will stay, Niall McNamee will retire
14%
Niall McNamee will stay on, John Maughan will leave
14%
Both will depart, John Maughan will leave and Niall McNamee will retire
7%

Total votes: 14

mynamesjeff
Intermediate

Poll: Will John Maughan and/or Niall McNamee stay on or leave/retire?

Post by mynamesjeff »

Personally hope that John Maughan stays on.
It’d be mighty if Niall stays on.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Re: Poll: Will John Maughan and/or Niall McNamee stay on or leave/retire?

Post by FerbaneInsider »

One more year for the two of them.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Would Maughan rather be known as the man who took offaly up or the man who couldn’t keep them up? He’s always talking about the commute from mayo to offaly and I’m sure he’s at the end of his current contract. If he stays and offaly get relegated it’ll probably look poor on him. Who comes in to replace him I suppose is nearly a bigger question. Regardless of what happens, maughan has left a very solid platform so the next appointment is very important.

Niall I think will stay on, though hes no longer our best forward he’s still probably our 2nd best footballer. He’ll want a crack at division 2 and he’s rarely looked fitter.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I guess my question on this is how much progress was really made this year? Were we not just steeped with a league draw that saw us drawn against teams that were easier than if we had to play a full league as I’m not sure we would have beaten Longford, Cavan or Fermanagh if we had to travel to play them & as Derry proved they are were way better than us, so how much better were we really?

I didn’t see enough of Offaly this year to say we made progress or that we didn’t but my suspicion would be that unless we find a few midfielders that enable us to compete at midfield then we’re going to struggle to stay up next season in Division 2 no matter whose over the team.
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Maughan has come this far and I think he would like to have a go at preserving D2 status.
It's going to be like the Division 3 years - Can Offaly find 2 wins and a draw out of the 7 games. Being there is one thing, can the team start to become acclimatised to the higher standard and grow?

Niall McNamee even with the mileage he has is still an asset. It's a 20 man game and options on the bench are important.
While the advance mark rule stays, he gives a very useful outlet as a target man. He doesn't have to worry about shaking off a defender 15 years younger than him once he collects a clean catch.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I think Maughan might stay (and he might not) another year, he wont get a higher job with getting Offaly out of Division 3 to Divisions 2, realistically Offaly wont get to Division 1 next year (one never knows) but if we did then Maughan would have recalibrated his manegerial pedigree to be sought after by other teams...its a big ask, I would like to see him maybe push on a bit as we did this year...will he is the question..its fair haul travel wise...Ide say its 50/50 if he will..regarding McNamee, I dont know, another year of intercounty training, and as I say we probably wont get out of Division 2, if he stays and we get relegated it would be a shame for him...60/40 about he will retire...

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Derry showed at the weekend what a good team they are and would have went well if there were qualifiers, they will have regrets as they should have beaten Donegal?