Offaly v Fermanagh

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
private joker
All Star

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by private joker »

Offaly would benefit more from a league victory as championship will be short lived.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Post by FerbaneInsider »

bracknaghboy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:38 pm
FerbaneInsider wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:33 pm While I agree with everything you said, put yourself in the players position. Would you be willing to give up possibly your only chance of winning silverware for Offaly and a chance to play in Croke Park over fears of Mickey Harte? I certainly wouldn’t.
Oh I totally understand that. Do we know was it the players that pushed for it?
I'm old school and still believe in the championship and the value of a championship win.
Offaly are in a good position to beat Louth and finally get over Kildare and then get to Croke Park.
I'm not convinced the Derry game next week is good preparation for the Louth game. These games take a lot out of players and come the Louth game it'll be the 6th game in 7 weeks and should they meet Kildare the following week that'll be the 7th game in 8 week.

Look I'm sure management know their team and have thought this through.
Hopefully this Derry game doesn't end in a draw and end up going on all evening next Saturday to decide a winner! Also hopefully no injuries either.
It would be a shame if a championship game was lost because players run out of gas late on.

On the other hand winning a league final in Croke Park would be another massive lift for the county and could arguably bring more momentum into the Louth game. It's an interesting one.
Final decision obviously rests with management but I know for a fact the players wanted to play it. Could you imagine passing on the chance to play in Croke Park and winning a trophy and then lose to Louth anyway, you’ve got to take a swing at it while you have a chance.

The panel is stronger than its been in a long time so we’re not reliant on the bare 15 all giving us 70 minutes, I’m sure that was a factor too.

I can’t understand why the semi final wasn’t played last weekend and the final this weekend?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I take it back!
Apparently, the GAA said that if both teams wanted to play the league division finals then they could go ahead.
So it's not that the finals were deemed no-go's and that Offaly went specifically looking for it to be played.
Fair enough play the final so!

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

GAA should get the finger out here and really push for this to be a trial event with AT LEAST 5,000 in attendance. I'd personally open up for 82,000 but that's for another day.

Championship is around the corner and people still wont be able go to games. It's absolutely farcical at this stage.

offalys future2
Junior B

Post by offalys future2 »

Fantastic result and achievement - congrats to you all.
Huge game now against Louth - best of luck to all

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Limited number of tickets available, adult €20 and children €5

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Sold out quicker than a Garth Brooks concert!

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Post by FerbaneInsider »

Sur lookit wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:59 pm Sold out quicker than a Garth Brooks concert!
There’s still some left.