Offaly v Fermanagh

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by High School Musical »

Táimíd an fhoireann is fearr ar domhain! Táimíd an fhoireann is fearr ar domhain!
We have beaten Fermanagh 1-14 to 12 points in Gaelic football!! It is completely unbelievable!
We have beaten Fermanagh!
Fermanagh, birthplace of giants.
1st Viscount Brookeborough, Sean Quinn, Big Jim McDonald, Father Brian D'Arcy, Kyle Lafferty, Adrian Dunbar, Barry Owens - we've beaten them all.
We have beaten them all.
Arlene Foster can you hear me?
Arlene Foster, I have a message for you in the middle of your erection-killing campaign.
I have a message for you: We have knocked Fermanagh out of the Allianz Football League Division 3 promotion race.
Arlene Foster, as they say in your language in the marts around South Armagh.
"Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

Great to be promoted. Well done to team and management. We made heavy work of it in the second half. We are not comfortable when teams run at us. A lot to work on ahead of the Louth game. But it's great to be winning matches.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Delighted for all involved that we got promotion.

Game management is still a huge issue as we had Fermanagh well beaten in the 2nd half and yet needed a scrappy goal late on to make it comfortable!!
Everything I’ve heard and read sounds like we played great football in the first half and then retreated into our shells to try hang on!! Why do we keep doing this when it clearly doesn’t suit our players and teams always out score us which I’m pretty sure is not the idea when ur trying to kill off a game!!
The Louth game will be a good test, as they have had a good league too and won’t fear Offaly!!
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

To a certain degree you could say that Offaly closed out the game poorly. However Fermanagh got their 11th point after 59 minutes and only scored once more in the last 15 minutes that got played. It was the four points conceded just after the water break from the 52nd to the 59th minute that were the blot.

Offaly were also unfortunate with a poor call when Joe Maher was dragged back when going through around the 20 metre line and somehow got pinged for over carrying. A free in correctly awarded would probably have dampened any Fermanagh comeback.

Other than that it was a very positive performance and result.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Thanks for clarifying BnM man. Reading the match report on RTE it sounded like we really let Fermanagh back into it and panicked in the closing stages.
Anyway I didn’t care how we won, just glad that we won and are moving in the right direction for the first time in a long time
The Untouchable

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I was re-watching it and it's easy to be analytical about it now, but it was a very uncomfortable 15 minute spell before the Offaly goal.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Final versus Derry next Saturday in Croke Park

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Congrats to all involved.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Offaly went looking for a final to be played v Derry next week.
If the GAA said there was to be no final I'd have left it at that.
This now gives Mickey Harte and co. an extra match to observe very closely.
It takes Offalys focus off the Louth game in my opinion.
Also the lads were assured of going into the championship unbeaten but thats at risk now next week.
Oh no I'd have kept the head down and focused on the Louth game.
Can anyone convince why this is a good idea?

first_touch
All Star

Post by first_touch »

I totally agree, Bracknaghboy. It takes our focus away from preparing for a crucial championship match. If we lose it dents confidence. Even if we win it will leave players that bit more tired playing three weekends in a row. And as you say it gives Mickey Harte an extra opportunity to analyse us. The only possible benefit is that it gives the team the experience of playing in Croke Park.

JimBwobb
All Star

Post by JimBwobb »

Some of these lads may never play in Croke Park again so more than likely wanted to have that experience which you cannot fault them for.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

To play in croke Park is what every team want to do. And , when you are winning, you want to play every weekend

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

High School Musical wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:00 pm Táimíd an fhoireann is fearr ar domhain! Táimíd an fhoireann is fearr ar domhain!
We have beaten Fermanagh 1-14 to 12 points in Gaelic football!! It is completely unbelievable!
We have beaten Fermanagh!
Fermanagh, birthplace of giants.
1st Viscount Brookeborough, Sean Quinn, Big Jim McDonald, Father Brian D'Arcy, Kyle Lafferty, Adrian Dunbar, Barry Owens - we've beaten them all.
We have beaten them all.
Arlene Foster can you hear me?
Arlene Foster, I have a message for you in the middle of your erection-killing campaign.
I have a message for you: We have knocked Fermanagh out of the Allianz Football League Division 3 promotion race.
Arlene Foster, as they say in your language in the marts around South Armagh.
"Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
Brooke borough was an utter bigot. Arlene Foster was first minister until she was shafted. Maybe you should tone down the gloating.

FerbaneInsider
Junior A
Club: Ferbane

Post by FerbaneInsider »

bracknaghboy wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:21 pm Offaly went looking for a final to be played v Derry next week.
If the GAA said there was to be no final I'd have left it at that.
This now gives Mickey Harte and co. an extra match to observe very closely.
It takes Offalys focus off the Louth game in my opinion.
Also the lads were assured of going into the championship unbeaten but thats at risk now next week.
Oh no I'd have kept the head down and focused on the Louth game.
Can anyone convince why this is a good idea?
While I agree with everything you said, put yourself in the players position. Would you be willing to give up possibly your only chance of winning silverware for Offaly and a chance to play in Croke Park over fears of Mickey Harte? I certainly wouldn’t.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

FerbaneInsider wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:33 pm While I agree with everything you said, put yourself in the players position. Would you be willing to give up possibly your only chance of winning silverware for Offaly and a chance to play in Croke Park over fears of Mickey Harte? I certainly wouldn’t.
Oh I totally understand that. Do we know was it the players that pushed for it?
I'm old school and still believe in the championship and the value of a championship win.
Offaly are in a good position to beat Louth and finally get over Kildare and then get to Croke Park.
I'm not convinced the Derry game next week is good preparation for the Louth game. These games take a lot out of players and come the Louth game it'll be the 6th game in 7 weeks and should they meet Kildare the following week that'll be the 7th game in 8 week.

Look I'm sure management know their team and have thought this through.
Hopefully this Derry game doesn't end in a draw and end up going on all evening next Saturday to decide a winner! Also hopefully no injuries either.
It would be a shame if a championship game was lost because players run out of gas late on.

On the other hand winning a league final in Croke Park would be another massive lift for the county and could arguably bring more momentum into the Louth game. It's an interesting one.