Offaly v Fermanagh

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Doon Exile
Intermediate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: up in the air

Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by Doon Exile » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:54 pm

Game is Tullamore which is an obvious advantage. Have to give Offaly a decent chance here albeit don’t know too much of Fermanagh.

If we do make the final, how many are promoted to div 2?
Doon exile....

summerindublin
All Star
Posts: 178
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 am
Club: New York

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by summerindublin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:06 pm

The winners of Offaly/Fermanagh and Derry/Limerick are both promoted to Div 2, If Offaly or Limerick win there will be no final and joint winners announced.

User avatar
bracknaghboy
All Star
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by bracknaghboy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:37 pm

Would it be worthwhile starting Niall Mc for the first 20 minutes then take him off? Then reintroduce him on the 55 minute mark?
I get what they are currently doing bringing him on for impact near the end and so far it has worked. But what if it doesn't work? I think management would be regretting not having him on earlier.
Presumably there is an injury or something preventing getting 70mins from him? He's our best forward at the end of the day.

kingscounty
All Star
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by kingscounty » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:13 pm

bracknaghboy wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:37 pm
Would it be worthwhile starting Niall Mc for the first 20 minutes then take him off? Then reintroduce him on the 55 minute mark?
I get what they are currently doing bringing him on for impact near the end and so far it has worked. But what if it doesn't work? I think management would be regretting not having him on earlier.
Presumably there is an injury or something preventing getting 70mins from him? He's our best forward at the end of the day.
It’s a hard one, it has worked well the way they have been doing it. I’d leave as is, if he’s not fully fit keep him on recovery, hopefully he won’t be needed at all. Best of luck to all the lads it’s in their hands now.

jimbob17
All Star
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 am

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by jimbob17 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:37 pm

Huge kudos to all so far. This game is definitely winnable. While they will be sticky and get max from themselves, I don't think they have as talented a football team as what we have. Without being presumptuous, I think if we match them for work-rate and intensity, we win the game. I think we have grown as a team and squad in last year or two. I think the young players have developed confidence at this level and starting to show on pitch. Lots of young players like Dempsey, Hayes among others etc have now 2,3 or 4 years behind them. Likes of Karl Stewart played key role the last day and this also adds competition while younger lads again like Cian Farrell, Rory Egan, Bill Carroll are in second year with squad and pushing fellas on now for their places also. This is all creating depth within squad and there must be serious competition for places now. Behind them are a few more fellas that played at U20 level in Kilcormacs Donoghue and Jack Bryant who will both offer something in the years ahead. This competition raises standards in training and therefore we have got better as a collective group - the results are there to see..... I believe Johnny Moloney is a doubt so hopefully he comes through ok.

I think Cian Farrell has to start from now on and hopefully this is the case. For me, Niall Mc coming in with 25 to go is the way to get most from him. He gives a huge lift to lads. Might not be full game in him at this level, and if there is a time when you want a guy like that, it is towards the end when the game is up for grabs..... best of luck to all v Fermanagh.
jimbob

Sur lookit
Senior
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by Sur lookit » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:24 pm

We're trying to build a team and a panel. Niall Mc is going great guns at the moment, but Jaysus, what message does it send out to other lads to take him off and bring him back on. Seriously, where have you seen that happen, bar some lunatic coach at u14 level!!!

Yes it worked with Peter Canavan, all those years ago, rouse the crowd etc.....but no.

He's chomping at the bit to come in and cut him loose when game is less structured.

In addition, we need our forwards tackling when we don't have the ball also, I'm afraid not one of his stronger points.
Personally I think the game for us to look at starting him is the game against Louth when he has more minutes under the belt.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:47 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:37 pm

For what it's worth, Offaly have a 100% record in the five previous occasions they have hosted Fermanagh in the NFL at O'Connor Park.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sur lookit
Senior
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by Sur lookit » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm

No room for passengers in this one, it may be dour stuff.
Listening to Tomas O Se this morning and he was correct in his analysis, have Offaly the cuteness to deal with the defensive set up that Fermanagh will bring? Patience, don't get turned over to easily and being able to stop their runners. Whilst we have improved over the games, I think if we can be a score or 2 up heading into the final 15 we will close it out.

I don't know much about Fermanagh but they have played higher calibre teams than us over the last few years and this game wont phase them, our lads will feel a little more pressure as there has been plenty of plaudits coming their way and now is the time to deliver.
But these are the games that county players want and many of our players will have wanted this for a while now, particularly the Rhode lads.
So get out there lads, enjoy it and just have the balls to win it when its in the mix, play with the heads!

SearingDrive
All Star
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by SearingDrive » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:46 pm

Sur lookit wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm
No room for passengers in this one, it may be dour stuff.
Listening to Tomas O Se this morning and he was correct in his analysis, have Offaly the cuteness to deal with the defensive set up that Fermanagh will bring? Patience, don't get turned over to easily and being able to stop their runners. Whilst we have improved over the games, I think if we can be a score or 2 up heading into the final 15 we will close it out.

I don't know much about Fermanagh but they have played higher calibre teams than us over the last few years and this game wont phase them, our lads will feel a little more pressure as there has been plenty of plaudits coming their way and now is the time to deliver.
But these are the games that county players want and many of our players will have wanted this for a while now, particularly the Rhode lads.
So get out there lads, enjoy it and just have the balls to win it when its in the mix, play with the heads!
You summed the game up accurately there. Offaly have to overcome a tricky opponent on Saturday.
Big game, it would be great for Offaly football to play in a higher division next year, if they beat Fermanagh.

Kevin
All Star
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:00 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by Kevin » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:58 pm

Best wishes to the team and all involved. Expecting a close shave. Great to be in this position.

Let’s git ‘em!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

biffinbanner
All Star
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm
Club: ferbane

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by biffinbanner » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:51 pm

ive been at matches both teams played in the last few years. id expect offaly to win by 4 or more. better more talented players basically.

SearingDrive
All Star
Posts: 880
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by SearingDrive » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Offaly promoted to Div. 2. Congrats to all, great week for Offaly GAA.

Doon Exile
Intermediate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:03 pm
Location: up in the air

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by Doon Exile » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:45 pm

biffinbanner wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:51 pm
ive been at matches both teams played in the last few years. id expect offaly to win by 4 or more. better more talented players basically.
Spot on biff. Well done to players and management
Doon exile....

kingscounty
All Star
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by kingscounty » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:58 pm

Well done to all involved, can only be proud of the players and management,

BiffoInThurso
Junior A
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Club: St Rynaghs

Re: Offaly v Fermanagh

Post by BiffoInThurso » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Bad few weeks for Arlene Foster

Post Reply