Div 3 South predictions & general comment

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
oneshot
County player

Re: Div 3 South predictions & general comment

Post by oneshot »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:11 pm Offaly haven't lost to Wicklow in the league at Aughrim since 1956/57. Since then, Offaly have won on all seven NFL visits to Aughrim, while Wicklow's only two league wins over Offaly in the meantime have been at OCP and Baltinglass in 1994/95 and 1995/96 respectively. So yeah, its rare that Wicklow come out of Aughrim with a win.
lucky it wasn’t in portlaoise so :wink:

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

a good and welcome win today for Offaly footballers, with Tipp losing to Limerick, it was important that Offaly got off to a winning start. Although Tipp are Munster champions, they are probably a similar team to LImerick as in ways..so now at least one of them have lost..Limerick will be no slouches whenever we or any of the other team In Div 3 meet them...I bought the game on the player and was impressed...brilliant defending and fast counter attacking...kicked good scores..a small bit over cautious still in some of the attacks as in moved the ball ultra fast, but when with in shooting range, turned back to pass the ball outfield again and Wicklow quickly got back and the attack was nullified..but over all good win any day of the week..we are off on the right foot for once..it would be nice to see some of the forwards be the regular free taker though...this lark of bringing up the keeper is so time consuming and basically surely to God someone from number 8 upwards should be able to kick frees...its better for that players confidence and involvemen in the game..and gets confidence going then in players around him too...good and welcome win..

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Good win, but Wicklow were really poor. We could have had them hammered by half time. Again butchering 3 one on ones and we should have had a penalty plus a black card for the defender.

Negatives.
I can't agree Lone Shark with Johnny Moloney re 6. And further more, I can say now that we are facing a real battle in the next 2 games. Run at our defenders and you are waved through, as is the norm we had loads of men back but marking space, yes they did cut off ball into Seanie Furling alright but Jeesus, if you were a Wicklow man you'd be going spare at the amount of times an offload to a runner was received at the edge of the D with a shot on and they refused the shot. Similarly after dictating the game in the first half we come out and butch 2 great point chances and Wicklow messed a brilliant goal chance.

I think it's the system not Johnny may be the issue. Yes we turned Wicklow over a lot, but they were easy turnovers, against a poor side.

Why did we not force them to go long on their kick out, we won all the long kick outs.

Positives:
Midfield, Bill Carroll, subs kicking 4 out of our 5 points and seeing us over the line, Dunican under the high ball. Forwards first half movement was good and for the first day out there was some good defensive work.

But I have to ask again about some of our defenders, their midfield continuously ran through and broke up to 3 tackles. But will need a serious look at how that game nearly became a dog fight in the second half, and for that not happening I'll give credit to the management there for getting forwards on to close it out. Ridiculous act by Cian to pick up a black card when just on but Id hope he'll learn and super score from him off his right when he came back on.
Well done on the win and having 2 home games will give us an edge re travel and all. We need a power of work though on reducing scoring opps for opposition over next few weeks!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

he's an elite stopper at the heart of the defence, the type of guy you build a team around.
Moloney a very good footballer but first and foremost for my money, your centre back has to be a defender and a stopper. Moloney loves barrelling forward and good luck to him. The positioning of David Dempsey at 11 suggested that the management team are aware of it and placing dempsey there to filter back between defence and attack to facilitate Moloney going upfield.

A bit of a push to say he is an elite stopper though!

Good result yesterday and lets see Offaly take it on now against Limerick. Its not like they are Kerry. I expect Offaly to perform again, up it a level and account for Limerick at home.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:41 pm a good and welcome win today for Offaly footballers, with Tipp losing to Limerick, it was important that Offaly got off to a winning start. Although Tipp are Munster champions, they are probably a similar team to LImerick as in ways..so now at least one of them have lost..Limerick will be no slouches whenever we or any of the other team In Div 3 meet them...I bought the game on the player and was impressed...brilliant defending and fast counter attacking...kicked good scores..a small bit over cautious still in some of the attacks as in moved the ball ultra fast, but when with in shooting range, turned back to pass the ball outfield again and Wicklow quickly got back and the attack was nullified..but over all good win any day of the week..we are off on the right foot for once..it would be nice to see some of the forwards be the regular free taker though...this lark of bringing up the keeper is so time consuming and basically surely to God someone from number 8 upwards should be able to kick frees...its better for that players confidence and involvemen in the game..and gets confidence going then in players around him too...good and welcome win..
I agree about the lack of a regular free taker, it should be a forward. Offaly however, are not the only county using their number 1 as a free taker.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

ah I know but just because other counties do it doesnt mean we have...Monaghans keeper is probably the most consistent I seen, but it reminds me why I hate rubgby, the amount of time it takes to come up, place the ball, walk into the shot, step back exact steps from it, channel the track in your vision to the posts...lordy me will you just kick the ffing ball...if you havent a free taker from number 8 upwards you havent any real confindent forward on your team...for all the postives, we did give slight glimpses that we were going to go defensive minded at stages only luckily enough when others in the team got the ball they went on the offensive to quickly kill that mentality...Limerick will be a massive test...we can beat them, but they will feel like wise and wont be shy on shooting on sight...

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Case in point is the Wicklow goalie, he nailed 2 out of 3 and really solid kicks.

The disappointing thing is it is logical to offer Paddy the opportunity as he was a very good underage free taker.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Cian Farrell is a solid free taker and i know who he'd replace in the forward line

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Sur lookit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:38 pm Cian Farrell is a solid free taker and i know who he'd replace in the forward line
Tell us

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

good win for the lads at the weekend without having a good performance, with limerick beating tipp we are in with a good shout of semi finals.
looking forward to limerick game and improving again.
free taking for the last few years is an issue with multiple free takers in the one game, which is never a good signand drains the confidence from a team
a free taker is imparative to being succesful, Cian farrell, and Nigel dunne are the best i have seen in the club championship at the frees.
joe is not too bad at them either and it was great to see him wearing the offaly jersey again.
will CJ play this year lads?

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

No re: Im not telling

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

I think Limerick beating tipp wasn’t a great result, all results could go down to the last game and scoring difference could come in, that is providing all teams beat Wicklow.

Promotion will be a tough ask as it will be against one of the northern teams and we never seem to go well against them if we get to that position.

Best of luck to all in the Limerick game.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Sur lookit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 pm Case in point is the Wicklow goalie, he nailed 2 out of 3 and really solid kicks.

The disappointing thing is it is logical to offer Paddy the opportunity as he was a very good underage free taker.
I hear what your saying, some players were great goalkeepers at underage but you dont put them in for a penalty just because the can stop shots..same with outfield players..if trying to develop confidence and positivity, as another poster said playe X is a good free taker and a forward, get them up and running an kicking frees...its a slow deliberate process in most teams bringing up the keeper and all the routine etc..as I say surely to jas*us there is a class player in Offaly from 8-15 and subs included who can line up a free and score it majority of the time..was watching Tipp hurlers a few weeks ago and with Seamus Callinann not on frees he had a poor enough game by his stadards, the free taker scored 3 or 4 from play anyway so was on song anyway...Callinan barely raised a puff..I have yet to hear of a keeper scoring 5 or 6 points from frees..outfield players should take them and get a buzz going among themselves...a bit like if you win the first ball its great confidence to any player...a forward getting a free is the same...kick one and it makes them a bit more determined to score a few more...look, the keeper thing is here no doubt..just dont like it myself thats all..hear your observations..

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz FL Division 3 South round 2 - predictions-
Offaly v Limerick, Bord Na Mona O'Connor Park, 3pm - Offaly 2-12 Limerick 2-10
Tipperary v Wicklow, - Tipperary 1-15 Wicklow 1-11

Allianz FL Division 3 North round 2 - predications-
Derry v Fermanagh, Owenbeg , 5pm Derry 1-15 Fermanagh 1-12
Cavan v Longford, Kingspan Breffni, 7pm - Cavan 2-16 Longford 0-16

The Biff
All Star

Post by The Biff »

Some interesting team changes. It will make for an interesting comparison with the last performance, and to see who actually finishes the game.

https://twitter.com/Offaly_GAA/status/1 ... 06310?s=20
Screenshot 2021-05-21 181542.png
Screenshot 2021-05-21 181542.png (243.59 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
Peter Parker: I missed the part where that's MY problem.