Div 3 South predictions & general comment

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
llkj
All Star

Re: Div 3 South predictions & general comment

Post by llkj »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:57 pm Yes, what we need. A few thousand spectators urging Offaly to kick the ball away to the opposition. And growling when Offaly do just that.

I really wonder if there is a connection between the 'closed doors' and Offaly's good 2021 form in all four codes.
Pat, you need to change who you are standing near at the matches. I honestly don’t hear this type of stuff shouted often at all at the hurling or football matches I’m at.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Home advantage v Fermanagh

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

summerindublin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:26 pm Home advantage v Fermanagh
That should help Offaly. It is still a big ask for Offaly, I think promotion to Div 2 is important for Offaly football development. I heard today that Offaly have been in Divs 3/4 since 2007.

Claffey
Junior A

Post by Claffey »

12.06.2021 (Sat) 18:00 Bord Na Mona O Connor Pk
https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/dates- ... s-and-pla/

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Seriously, I'm going to stand near you the next time I go to a match. If I ever get to a match again! I couldn't say I'm a regular at football games, but I genuinely find it's a common refrain at hurling games.
llkj wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 am
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:57 pm Yes, what we need. A few thousand spectators urging Offaly to kick the ball away to the opposition. And growling when Offaly do just that.

I really wonder if there is a connection between the 'closed doors' and Offaly's good 2021 form in all four codes.
Pat, you need to change who you are standing near at the matches. I honestly don’t hear this type of stuff shouted often at all at the hurling or football matches I’m at.
That home draw is vital given the difficulties brought about by a long journey to an away fixture this year.

And yes, the leagues were revamped after 2007's NFL. Offaly's defeat to Roscommon condemned them to Division 4 for 2008 and they've yo-yod since. That after being competitive in the 16 team Division 1 in 2005 and 2006.
SearingDrive wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:33 pm
summerindublin wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:26 pm Home advantage v Fermanagh
That should help Offaly. It is still a big ask for Offaly, I think promotion to Div 2 is important for Offaly football development. I heard today that Offaly have been in Divs 3/4 since 2007.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

hamstrings
Junior A

Post by hamstrings »

After mentioning 2007 NFL, i decided to look up the results and I noticed the Longford v offaly game was declared null and points were awarded to Longford. Rings a bell but why did that happened?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

hamstrings wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:41 am After mentioning 2007 NFL, i decided to look up the results and I noticed the Longford v offaly game was declared null and points were awarded to Longford. Rings a bell but why did that happened?
https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2007/ ... 0Longford.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Allianz FL Division 3 semi-finals
Derry v Limerick, Carrick-on-Shannon, 4pm - GAAGO -Derry 2-17 Limerick 1-15
Offaly v Fermanagh, Bord na Monda O'Connor Park, 6pm - GAAGO - Offaly 1-15 Fermanagh 0-17 (or a draw)
I just think Offaly have a bit of belief this year, and while not getting carried away for sure, I do think Offaly can win this, but not by much need I say..Fermanagh were in the side of Cavan and Derry and Longford, probably got better games behind them..I think Offaly can win this, if everything falls into place for them.As I expect Derry to beat Limerick, I may not be as confident about the Div 3 final if we get there..

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:54 pm Allianz FL Division 3 semi-finals
Derry v Limerick, Carrick-on-Shannon, 4pm - GAAGO -Derry 2-17 Limerick 1-15
Offaly v Fermanagh, Bord na Monda O'Connor Park, 6pm - GAAGO - Offaly 1-15 Fermanagh 0-17 (or a draw)
I just think Offaly have a bit of belief this year, and while not getting carried away for sure, I do think Offaly can win this, but not by much need I say..Fermanagh were in the side of Cavan and Derry and Longford, probably got better games behind them..I think Offaly can win this, if everything falls into place for them.As I expect Derry to beat Limerick, I may not be as confident about the Div 3 final if we get there..
FWIW, There will be no final if the lads beat Fermanagh, Honours will be split....

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

You jumped in a bit quick there, finals were not ruled out if teams wanted to play them, and why wouldnt Offaly and Derry want to play a final in Croke Park...we wont we winning Leinster or Ulster (Derry) this year in all reality, so take whats on offer...

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

havent been on here in recent times too much with one thing and another, promoted from Division 3 and in a final against Derry in Croke Park...who would have thought that at the start of this league with Tipperary and Limerick and WIcklow to a lesser degree possibly, that we would go unbeaten, drop no points, get promoted and get to the final, beating Fermanagh whom would be viewed by most as few rungs further up the ladder than Offaly...great to see...I said elsewhere to see Offaly winning both football league and hurling league games the same weekend was something we havent seen in many years...great to see and well done to all concerned, our county board deserves credit too, they must be putting things in place properly as things ran so smoothly and no dissent from any quarter..well done management, players and all involved...

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Some things have stood out over the 4 games this year.

- Lots of scores coming from play which is always great to see.
- Plenty of goal scoring chances being created.
- Worryingly most of the goals coring chances are not being taken.
- Paddy Dunican has dealt very well under some high dropping balls which is a huge part of the keepers game.
- Discipline is good in terms of cards but still too many softish frees being given away.
- Anton is behaving himself and we see more of what he can do when he knuckles down. Croke Park is made for his all action style.
- Carl Stewart is a mighty man.

We'll know more after Saturday. I always get the feeling that teams tend to cut loose and play more natural up in Croke Park. It'll suit the fast runners for Offaly.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

I think Saturday could be a step too far.
I am interested to see how we defend in Croke park as it just seems to offer up more space.
If we can build on defensive improvements in recent games I would be happy that we can compete but this will be a challenge, Derry will have strong runners and also decent kickers of the ball so press will need to be better further up the field.

Midfield aside from Eoin Carroll has been an issue, and our players need to maintain the discipline against a more than likely cynical enough Derry outfit. On the positive , I think we can do some damage up front.
Not much in it last year when we played them but we have thrown off the shackles since then and they have also improved in the last few months.

Given little action there will be a lot of eyes on this, I hope our lads don't let the nerves interfere and at the same time maintain composure and dont head off on aimless solo runs and shooting from everywhere. Take a few chances, work to the gameplan, maintain composure and enjoy the experience. The first 3 are also vital for Croke Park.
Use of the bench has been decent and should happen earlier here also as important to have fresh legs, and to give CP experience to as many as possible.
A repeat of 98 is unlikely but a solid performance would be good, best of luck to all, and to anyone lucky enough to be attending the match enjoy and Up Offaly.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Offaly 1-12 Derry 0-13

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

tomorrow cant be viewed as a repeat of 98, even if its the same teams...tomorrow is a Division 3 final at the end of the day, 98 was an All divisions final and Offaly certainly stepped up to the mark, beating Donegal and Galway enrroute in knock out stages..I am a bit cautious in predicting Offaly may not win tomorrow, I just think Derry might score a tad easier than us and more frequently, now thats not to say we have played very positively this league and scored decent returns etc..a good bench playing well when brought on is an added bonus this league too...I think, Derry by 3 or 4 (I hope not more) and if, and I will repeat the "if" Offaly are closer with a few minutes left, we could get over the line...best of luck to the lads tomorrow..isnt it great to be on here discussing such an important game for Offaly...Derry 0-19 Offaly 1-14..I do hope I a wrong :roll: