Div 3 South predictions & general comment

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Div 3 South predictions & general comment

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

You'll believe the 'shite' if someone you know or love contracts the dreaded disease.
bracknaghboy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 am What a disgrace that on a fine day like today 2,000 of us can't be in O'Conner Park well spread out.
Does anyone even believe this COVID shite anymore?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:57 am You'll believe the 'shite' if someone you know or love contracts the dreaded disease.
bracknaghboy wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:45 am What a disgrace that on a fine day like today 2,000 of us can't be in O'Conner Park well spread out.
Does anyone even believe this COVID shite anymore?
Fine stay at home then, problem solved.
Why are we allowing the games to go ahead at all then? Why?
Players are panting, spitting and slobbering over each other for 70 minutes + and all handling the same ball. Bottles are being shared at times as well.
Why is that allowed but standing on an open terrace isn't?
All the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated and anyone concerned about themselves could just stay at home.
I do know people who tested positive for "the dreaded disease" but right now this has gone on too long and life needs to go on.
Thankfully people are starting to ask questions about whats going on and why and looking at the figures for themselves.

On the game itself.........tis a day for attacking football I'd say :D

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Last thing i'll say on this as we should be sticking to the sport is that we are all now at risk and those we know at risk of getting news of many other dreaded diseases over the next year or two due to the hundreds of thousands of cancelled cancer screenings.
It's insane that we have decided to focus only 1 illness for the past 15 months and pretty much ignore all others.
The illness we are concentrating on is tiny compared to the others.

Can you imagine if we said 5 years ago "right lads we are going to only focus on all respiratory illness for a couple of years and we'll be closing the hospitals and screening efforts for cancer, heart disease etc."
There would be uproar and rightly so. We'd have been rioting on the streets.

Yet in 2020 and 2021 that's exactly what we have done. Not to mention the economic mess we will be facing.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Yes, what we need. A few thousand spectators urging Offaly to kick the ball away to the opposition. And growling when Offaly do just that.

I really wonder if there is a connection between the 'closed doors' and Offaly's good 2021 form in all four codes.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Half time. Tipperary 1-8. Offaly 1-7.Tipperary scored a penalty.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

From Hogan Stand

FL3 South full time: Offaly 1-17 Tipperary 1-12

Offaly make it three wins from three to advance to the Division Three semi-finals.

Now that will do any day...

Congratulations to all

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

3 from 3 excellent stuff lads well done. Fermanagh up next

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Tuned in for the game today, will try give as fair a recollection as i can.

We are still lacking a natural goal getter, if we can unearth one in the county we would be a serious proposition as we seem to get at least 4 good chances a game. We butchered a chance soon after farrells goal and then late in the game comerford made a good save to prevent a sure goal.

There has been a marked change in the mentality of this football team. This was a step up from the test we faced last week and in truth i was sceptical about our chances against a higher level of opponent. Tipp gave us a battle today, got a goal of their own and dominated the kickouts. There was plenty of reason for offaly to drop their heads, especially with the nature of the penalty that was awarded against them. But we seem to have found a few dogs and perhaps tapped into that spirit of old where we simply said 'f*ck it we go again' any time something went against us.

Defence was on top again today. Few mighty turnovers and in fairness we did pretty well with sweeney. Tackled ferociously and though that soft underbelly remains when ran at, thought we manned up very well. Karl stewart was solid enough at 6, to the extent that Im not sure how much if at all we missed johnny maloney. Heard he played through a bad knock last week which explains his absence today and perhaps some mitigation for his display. Never a bad thing to have options to call on however.

We are a county of short arses whatever way thats worked out. i dont think any of the offaly lads had a physical advantage over their opposite numbers. We were ate alive on the kick outs in the first half and to a lesser degree in the second half. Its testament to the work rate and intensity of the lads that they managed to over come this deficiency. I think adding in leavy and niall mac late on probably brought our average height up a bit to be fair. In fairness eoin carroll has a heart that belies his modest enough frame and he's someone offaly should be looking to build around going forward.

Peter cunningham, again a bit of a meh display, gets on a lot of ball, cant recall a telling contribution, probably should be contributing more. Jordan hayes got on a lot more ball this week and he set up a few attacks from deep. more of the same next week please.

Half forwards did well, anton raised it a level this week and kicked a few nice scores. Once he is mindful of his positioning when shooting, he provides a direct running threat that we dont have with any of our other forwards.

bernard allen has lowkey been our best forward this league campaign, snatched at a few today but overall hes shooting with a high level of efficiency this year and is growing into a real leader in the offensive unit.

Shout out again to our subs bench who are providing a real source of worry to oppositions defenders weary legs. niall mac snatched at a few early on but then scored two more difficult shots which is probably an illustration of the man, head down and onto the next one, great stuff.

Cian farrell started brightly but probably fatigued on his first start this league, enormous talent and a very efficient shooter, will be needing to take it up a level next week.

Colm doyle was quietly excellent as were the rest of the defensive unit and that seems to be the foundation that this team is built on. We dont seem to give up easy chances and are very fast to swarm attackers. this team is very much moving in the right direction and the next 18 months are crucual to the development of this team, if we navigate them carefully theres no reason why we cant be getting to leinster finals. some of our (presently) more successful neighbours are not as far ahead of us as they may like to think and on present viewing we are well capable of putting it up to any team outside the top 12 in the country.

side note, seen on shane lowrys social media that he was tuning in to the offaly game. we cannot underestimate the lift this has give to the county and no doubt the players in particular are riding the crest of this positivity. it is imperative that this is harnessed properly.

bring on fermanagh. uibh fhaili abu.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Good performance today, especially in second half, when Offaly’s use of the bench helped to close out a great win. Offaly scored 0-10 to 0-4 by Tipperary. I listened to local radio, and Offaly had a problem with kick outs on occasion, and delivering a pass to a colleague. Offaly finished the game better than Tipperary.
It’s great to be contending for promotion, with Fermanagh up next.

white grass
Junior B

Post by white grass »

As an outsider I never imagined that I could feel this any stronger about another club than when I wrote it, but unfortunately events mean that this evening pride is mixed with sadness.
“I am waiting and I ll wait a long while for the some mention of Rhode, it struck me last Sunday how much this county owes that club in particular since 2006...
Their hunger to win with Offaly in a time when the chances of reward are so small is inspiring.“
In the greater scheme of things sport is just a past time. It cannot change the important things ,I hope that for an hour this evening some people had a distraction, a small bit of relief. I understand that seems trite, but so much respect for those chaps from Rhode today.
RIP Dean and condolences to all in the villiage.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

And of course all of what is posted by myself above is caveated with the tragic event that took place in Rhode this week. No doubt it was on the minds of the players today, particularly the Rhode men and its to their testament that they showed up and put in that performance. May he rest in peace.

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

white grass wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 pm As an outsider I never imagined that I could feel this any stronger about another club than when I wrote it, but unfortunately events mean that this evening pride is mixed with sadness.
“I am waiting and I ll wait a long while for the some mention of Rhode, it struck me last Sunday how much this county owes that club in particular since 2006...
Their hunger to win with Offaly in a time when the chances of reward are so small is inspiring.“
In the greater scheme of things sport is just a past time. It cannot change the important things ,I hope that for an hour this evening some people had a distraction, a small bit of relief. I understand that seems trite, but so much respect for those chaps from Rhode today.

great post and well said it must have been hard on the Rhode clubmen today but they came up trumps yet again today, with niall macs display off the bench 👍

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I am amazed more on here dont watch the games on Gaa live stream for onl €5...I have seen more games of both codes Offaly have played in since the covid arrived and is excellent camera and commentary etc..today..Offaly were good upto the water break..Tipp made changes and straight away put Offaly in a very difficult situation..that said, Offaly stayed with them game wise (not score wise as Tipp outscored us) but Offaly then made changes and Tipp seemed to tire and Offaly took charge again...I will say Tipp moved the ball extremely more efficiently when they had their golden spell, but as I say the seemed to tire. One thing with Offaly this league is they attack when they can..unlike other leagues when over cautious..subs seem to make a major differrence now and its not only Niall McNamee I refer to here..It was a tough week on the Rhode players and Offaly GAA with that dreadful news about Dean Morris...I honestly feared it might affect the players but they were very professional..An excellent win today..no two ways about it..our thoughts are with the Rhode people.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

white grass wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:25 pm As an outsider I never imagined that I could feel this any stronger about another club than when I wrote it, but unfortunately events mean that this evening pride is mixed with sadness.
White Grass, lovely words and it was much appreciated by the Morris family and all in the Village, thank you

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

as I mentioned above too..yes our thoughts are indeed with the Morris family and Rhode GAA this weekend...its a terrible tragedy unfortunately replicated around our country on a daily basis..life is fickle..

I might be a critic of the tactic of our keeper coming up to take frees and 45s but the more I see of him, he is well capable in the main..a very tough decision given a penalty to Tipp today...I thought it was very harsh, but the ref thought otherwise...Paddy Dunican saved us a few times too..all very well saying shots were hit straight at him but he was solid between the posts, excellent positoning and absolutely calm under pressure..I am impressed by him and he adds great stability at the back...anyway...it was a good result given how it might have been affected by the Rhode situation. Well done all.