Div 3 South predictions & general comment

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Div 3 South predictions & general comment

Post by Fairplayalways »

Predictions for round 1 Sat/Sun 15/16th May: (without going back into last years league and championship all teams are really starting from a very unusual place and indeed time for the commencement of the NFL but anyways, here goes:

Limerick v Tipperary, LIT Gaelic Grounds, 5pm - Tipperary will surely carry a bounce in to the league after last year..Phillip Austin retired (a really good player over the years) Limerick well capable of putting in exceptional performances too and when it falls into place for them they can put it up to anyone... but I think Tipp will win here: Tipp by 5 (2-16 - 0-1-14)

Waterford v Carlow, Fraher Field, 7pm - hard to know on this one, but I think Carlow might be just a bit better, Waterford will certainly not be found wanting at home in Fraher field either - but you would expect Carlow to pevail by a few points... Carlow by 4 (1-14 to 1-10)

Wicklow v Offaly, Aughrim, 2pm - this is a big game for these two teams...Offaly steady if not spectacular last year...Wicklow more than capable of pushing for promotion in the lower Divisions, but like Offaly seem to blow up then in a game they are expected to win...Aughrim will be tough for Offaly, I am biased and will go of Offaly by 2 (Offaly 0-13 Wicklow 0-11)

I know putting scores in is really impossible to predict but just adds a bit of thought into to the actual predicted result..
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Tue May 04, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SearingDrive
All Star

Re: Div 3 North predictions & general comment

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:39 pm Predictions for round 1 Sat/Sun 8/9th May: (without going back into last years league and championship all teams are really starting from a very unusual place and indeed time for the commencement of the NFL but anyways, here goes:

Limerick v Tipperary, LIT Gaelic Grounds, 5pm - Tipperary will surely carry a bounce in to the league after last year..Phillip Austin retired (a really good player over the years) Limerick well capable of putting in exceptional performances too and when it falls into place for them they can put it up to anyone... but I think Tipp will win here: Tipp by 5 (2-16 - 0-1-14)

Waterford v Carlow, Fraher Field, 7pm - hard to know on this one, but I think Carlow might be just a bit better, Waterford will certainly not be found wanting at home in Fraher field either - but you would expect Carlow to pevail by a few points... Carlow by 4 (1-14 to 1-10)

Wicklow v Offaly, Aughrim, 2pm - this is a big game for these two teams...Offaly steady if not spectacular last year...Wicklow more than capable of pushing for promotion in the lower Divisions, but like Offaly seem to blow up then in a game they are expected to win...Aughrim will be tough for Offaly, I am biased and will go of Offaly by 2 (Offaly 0-13 Wicklow 0-11)

I know putting scores in is really impossible to predict but just adds a bit of thought into to the actual predicted result..
Just one point FairPlay. The NHL starts this weekend, Offaly play Meath in Navan, at 2pm.

The Football league starts the following week, Offaly travel to Wicklow, in a tough opener in Div 3 South.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Div 3 South predictions & general comment

Post by Fairplayalways »

no bother...more time to work out who might win etc...I dont have the appetite to set up similar in hurling...hoping that we wont need it but thats far from certain...
Last edited by Fairplayalways on Tue May 04, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Div 3 North predictions & general comment

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

If Limerick, Waterford, Tipperary, Carlow, Wicklow and Offaly are in division 3 north, who's in division 3 South? Must be France and Spain?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

:D :D I am after spotting my error and fixed..its strange to see Offaly in a South Divison too...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:09 pm :D :D I am after spotting my error and fixed..its strange to see Offaly in a South Divison too...
[/quote

Maybe it’s like re partition.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Offaly look like a physically very small team. Louth will be athletic and well drilled under Harte and would expect Wicklow in aughrim to be very physical. They’ll certainly not fear Offaly given the ill fated championship game between the two a few years ago in portlaoise.

Conor Mac is someone I’d like to see in there, but its good to see a new crop coming through.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Imagine if you drove to Aughrim on the wrong weekend!

Offaly to win this.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

unfortunately while an avid Offaly supporter it is a long long time ago since I was at an Offaly football game..young family and the cost involved closed off that avenue for me almost 20 years ago..and its like anything, once you stop going you wonder how you afforded to go in the first place..kids are older now and more expensive so while I am a first a hurling man I do support all the time and actually watched every Offaly game on the live stream last year (and Offaly V Meath in hurling yesterday) so I support as best I can..how anyone heads off to Aughrim or Antrim or (Cork or Down last season) is something that is just outside my stretch financially...as my mother used to say "going is one thing, but you cant go with your thumb in your mouth either"...each to their own but travelling to matches in particular away ones are a thing of the past for me now...

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

What we saying then folks, forwards doesn’t scream high scoring and david dempsey at 11 is interesting, has he any pedigree at that position?
Attachments
E0ABF352-64C8-41AC-A686-A96DB5ABD58F.jpeg
E0ABF352-64C8-41AC-A686-A96DB5ABD58F.jpeg (232.14 KiB) Viewed 13956 times

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Not sure I'd agree with the assessment of the forward line as not high scoring. Anton will get up and down the field but he's well able to chip in with scores as well, (though I really hope this is the year when he finally studies the data for what happens when he takes men on, or shoots from close range, as opposed to what happens when he tries to shoot from distance!) and every one of the inside forwards are capable of chipping in with three or four points from play on a good day.

Add in the fact that both midfielders and at least four of the backs are well able to get forward and finish an opportunity if it presents itself, and I wouldn't be unduly concerned. Obviously I would expect that Cian Farrell will be a starter by the summer, and that both Cian Johnson and Niall Mac will play a part (probably not for 70 minutes in either case though), but there have been a lot of Offaly teams in recent years that have gone onto the field with less firepower than this one.

Delighted to see Johnny Moloney hold the centre back jersey as well. It's purely a personal thing, but if I was involved, I'd be handing him the number six shirt at the start of the season and telling him to just keep it in his gearbag, give it back to us when the year is over. He's a perfectly serviceable full forward, and can do a job in midfield, but he's an elite stopper at the heart of the defence, the type of guy you build a team around.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

its a decent team on paper I will say that...hopefully now Bernard Allen and Ruairi McNamee to name two will get going and get into the game...Maher a full forward is a bold move by Maughan given he is just back, he will make things happen around him and able to score too so heres hoping we get off to winning start...any win will do but lets hope its a good display too..

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

good win not to many come out of augrim with a win .

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offaly haven't lost to Wicklow in the league at Aughrim since 1956/57. Since then, Offaly have won on all seven NFL visits to Aughrim, while Wicklow's only two league wins over Offaly in the meantime have been at OCP and Baltinglass in 1994/95 and 1995/96 respectively. So yeah, its rare that Wicklow come out of Aughrim with a win.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:11 pm Offaly haven't lost to Wicklow in the league at Aughrim since 1956/57. Since then, Offaly have won on all seven NFL visits to Aughrim, while Wicklow's only two league wins over Offaly in the meantime have been at OCP and Baltinglass in 1994/95 and 1995/96 respectively. So yeah, its rare that Wicklow come out of Aughrim with a win.
Good day for Offaly teams. Division 3 South will be interesting, Limerick at home next, followed by Tipperary in Tullamore.