Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
kingscounty
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by kingscounty »

Is it division 1A or 1B next year ?

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Think it could be either as the Divisions are redrawn every year?

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

I could be wrong but Westmeath play Laois and the loser goes to division 2 and Offaly take their place in division 1 or is there another revamp promised for next year.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Good win today, promotion was very important as the longer you play at this level , the more bad habits set in. Offaly put up a huge score, took goals well and got a high point total. Should win the christy Ring with potentially huge shorelines. Sligo will be destroyed, and wicklow etc are having a very poor league.
Fennelly mentioned room for improvement and he would be correct. Standing to hit the ball, no look clearances, 2 -3 attempts to rise the ball etc will be ruthlessly punished next year. But that's for next year. League promotion and championship success will do for 2021.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Division One is being redrawn next year, so Offaly will replace the loser of Westmeath and Laois, and then the groups will be remade with three from each side in each division.

On that point, it is yet more evidence of how a logical system that was working well can get thrown out when a "traditional county" throws the rattle out of the pram. Cork and Limerick were cranky that by being in 1B, they didn't have as many big games and there was the potential that they might have a year when (God forbid) their only home games would be against teams like Offaly, Laois, Antrim etc. I've a vague recollection of the secretary of one of the counties making reference to not having a proper home game all year, but I don't remember exactly. If you swapped Kilkenny and Westmeath in this year's league, then it would be a proper 1A/1B structure, and everyone would be better off, except arguably Wexford and Clare, who are now in the position that Cork and Limerick were back then.

From Offaly's point of view, a year playing Laois, Antrim, and then testing the water against Clare, Wexford etc. would be ideal. On the other hand, to come from where we've come from and suddenly be thrown in at the deep end against Limerick, Galway etc. is clearly madness. But, in the GAA as a general rule, if Cork want something, Cork get it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

League could not have gone any better to be fair. I am extremely surprised at the sharp level of increase in performances. It is some turnaround from last year where we struggled to win games at this level against the same teams mostly. Seems management have a clearer picture on who they have and what they want also. Takes a bit of time to bed in and in fairness, new management coming from Kilkenny wouldnt have known the players all that well last year. They have gone with youth and it is paying off. Lots of lads under 23 from what I know and lots much younger. Great learning for them and if we win C Ring which we will, we are in great place then for heading into next year's Joe McDonagh. Lads will be a year older, stronger fitter etc and used to game plan etc.

Watched online and was very impressed with Burke today at FB. Not much older than 21 I think but held it together fierce well. Conneely is natural at 6 with 2 lads on wing also very young. K Sampson is an excellent hurler and still only 18 or 19? Keenaghan probably 20/21 and also quick and mobile. In fact, that is what I noticed most about Offaly today - ie how mobile we were in middle third compared with previously. Lots of these young players were not playing much last year and in Ravenhill, Langton and Duignan in particular, they covered an amount of ground while J Sampson chipped in with some excellent scores. Langton is an unusual one for centre forward but in more modern game, he works very hard and is very busy, full of tricks and can score - he must be a nightmare for a traditional No 6 who would be more used to a bigger man. I would imagine he is our top scorer from play in league by good distance with another 2-3 today, which could have been 3-5 just as easily. John Murphy also did fierce well when introduced scoring 2pts I think and winning at least 1 free that resulted in a score. Oisin Kelly is a nightmare to mark and had a great league as did Eoin Cahill who has super hands and is very accurate on frees. In fact, with Shane Dooley only getting last 10 mins, it says a lot about the competition in the panel for places which is great. We still need to get a few fellas back though and I think a fit Adrian Hynes and Gath could add another layer of potency to the squad if not team.

Assuming we now go and beat Wicklow well with some of the lads that have not got much game time in league so far. All in all though, I have not felt as positive about Offaly hurling in a very long time so well done to all involved.
jimbob

biffinbanner
All Star
Club: ferbane

Post by biffinbanner »

great to see the "green shoots" emerging and we seem to be on the upswing again. id like to see us tested against the "intermediate" teams, the likes of laois antrim and westmeath before we start talking about a return to the top table. its very encouraging none the less and a similar speed rise up to the drop down we experienced would be most welcome.

Doon Exile
All Star

Post by Doon Exile »

I know it’s early doors yet, but what a lift we’ve got from our hurlers and footballers this league campaign. It’s great to be back div 1 hurling next year and whilst we’re a bit away from the limericks of the world just yet, let’s hope we can build on the progress that we’re making.

Let’s hope Michael Fennelly sticks around for a while too.
Doon exile....

Buttons
All Star

Post by Buttons »

Excellent job so far, one down and one to go and the importance of getting out of the Christy ring is huge.

I might be going off topic here but the management has gone with youth which is great, kil/ kil underage the last period has been unreal and yet only one on the panel in Jordan Quinn, I know the two Kielys are out but the same exists in Ferbane with the footballers with only two I think. Do they lose interest or the pure numbers make it harder to progress. The returns to senior county compared to underage success is poor and these having multiple minor and u20 medals.

The panel has good depth now with John Murphy getting a couple of points off the bench and players eager to get on and get their place.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

As far as I know, young Screeney and Peter Geraghty are also on the panel for Offaly. I think the other Geraghty opted out. In fairness, who else from KK would be good enough that was not asked in. Kiely opted out himself. Not sure about younger Kiely. In my opinion Conor Mahon would also be one from KK that would offer something but he opted out maybe 2 yrs ago. Beyond them 5 or 6, who else is there from KK that is county senior standard that has not been tried before?
jimbob

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

cathal kiely is in with offaly but the chap is injured . Connor mahon hasnt be in the last few years but in fairness he is tipping on a bit now . stephen leornard was a good minor a few years ago i think he hurl two year minors but has somehow got off the scene . Dylan murray another good underage player who also gone .

Buttons
All Star

Post by Buttons »

This is it the players haven’t really broken into the kil/ kil first team let alone go for senior county. I wouldn’t say I know much about the underage players down through the years but there must have been some serious players whom for one reason or another moved on or lost interest.

If you compare this to ballinamere who have 3 starting and one coming off the bench.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

It's rare you get to say it but there isn't much more these lads could have done over the 4 games. The towel would have been thrown in at half time in all games were they boxing matches. 4 non-contests.
From watching the streams the following look notable:

Fitness
Seems to have improved massively. For the first time in 15 years an Offaly hurling team has the legs to go the distance. Some feat considering the lack of collective training. Clearly great discipline shown by the panel over the last 6 months.

Options
It's been said that Offaly teams for years weren't comfortable in possession and prone to blasting it away aimlessly. Theres some truth in that but the problem is that players found themselves in trouble with no supporting team mates nearby. That would make anyone look uncomfortable on the ball!
This year there is nearly always a player there in support of a player surrounded. Or when a player looks down the pitch there are options and movement.... Langton tormenting defences. Fennelly has clearly instilled this.

Unselfishness
Getting a forward to look out for a player in a better position before having a go himself is one of the hardest things to coach. They inevitably go back to their old habits usually within 20 minutes. It's again clear this has been worked on and it's noticeable better options are been taken. I'm impressed by this.

Workrate
The forwards are fighting the moment the ball is lost. For years there have been lads happy to finish the scores but in terms of making honest efforts to fight when the ball was lost or fight for dirty ball......nah forget about it.

Mixing up the play
Really nice of mix hurling, short, running, long, diagonal whatever is required. Actually enjoyable to watch not like the D1 puke.

The above is not just some modern phenomenon, the senior hurlers should have had the above attributes for the last 15 years. They are the minimum required just to compete whether 10 years ago or this week.

The bad news is that the step up next year is huge. It's like a soccer team from League 2 going up to the Premier League.
I hope they they at least try to stay at the way there are playing and not just revert to 13 lads behind the ball and get suckered into the non-stop handpassing (well throwing) game. They shouldn't be afraid next year at least not to start with.
Christy Ring this year is just a case of being careful but baring something extraordinary they should win the 3 games by 20+ points.

It looks good and fair play to players and management. Duignan and CB deserve credit too, there is a positive vibe at the moment and thats priceless when you are at a low ebb.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

bracknaghboy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:24 pm It's rare you get to say it but there isn't much more these lads could have done over the 4 games. The towel would have been thrown in at half time in all games were they boxing matches. 4 non-contests.
From watching the streams the following look notable:

Fitness
Seems to have improved massively. For the first time in 15 years an Offaly hurling team has the legs to go the distance. Some feat considering the lack of collective training. Clearly great discipline shown by the panel over the last 6 months.

Options
It's been said that Offaly teams for years weren't comfortable in possession and prone to blasting it away aimlessly. Theres some truth in that but the problem is that players found themselves in trouble with no supporting team mates nearby. That would make anyone look uncomfortable on the ball!
This year there is nearly always a player there in support of a player surrounded. Or when a player looks down the pitch there are options and movement.... Langton tormenting defences. Fennelly has clearly instilled this.

Unselfishness
Getting a forward to look out for a player in a better position before having a go himself is one of the hardest things to coach. They inevitably go back to their old habits usually within 20 minutes. It's again clear this has been worked on and it's noticeable better options are been taken. I'm impressed by this.

Workrate
The forwards are fighting the moment the ball is lost. For years there have been lads happy to finish the scores but in terms of making honest efforts to fight when the ball was lost or fight for dirty ball......nah forget about it.

Mixing up the play
Really nice of mix hurling, short, running, long, diagonal whatever is required. Actually enjoyable to watch not like the D1 puke.

The above is not just some modern phenomenon, the senior hurlers should have had the above attributes for the last 15 years. They are the minimum required just to compete whether 10 years ago or this week.

The bad news is that the step up next year is huge. It's like a soccer team from League 2 going up to the Premier League.
I hope they they at least try to stay at the way there are playing and not just revert to 13 lads behind the ball and get suckered into the non-stop handpassing (well throwing) game. They shouldn't be afraid next year at least not to start with.
Christy Ring this year is just a case of being careful but baring something extraordinary they should win the 3 games by 20+ points.

It looks good and fair play to players and management. Duignan and CB deserve credit too, there is a positive vibe at the moment and thats priceless when you are at a low ebb.
Thanks for these observations and perspective.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Super performances, great atitude, and workrate and you can only beat whats in front of you.
Huge step up to come, but keep the feet on the ground and get the job done now to get out of the CRINGE competition, and get up a level.

Well done to this young group of players and good men like Clancy, Conneely, Watkins who put their shoulders to the wheel...plus the management.

Will set all up for an interesting club championship when it comes around