Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Fairplayalways
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by Fairplayalways »

Conor Clancy back in a good move I think..interesting to see if he makes the 1st 15....

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The League will be challenging for several reasons:

Only three weeks of collective training (and the third week will relatively light) and every game is a League final with no margin for error. That’s alright if you’ve a settled team, but Offaly are building from scratch, building a system of play, with no challenge games to build up.

In a League group with four Joe McDonagh counties. All four of those counties will bring their own challenges, and it will be a series of massively competitive games. Kerry, Carlow and Down are used to beating Offaly, while Meath nearly did so in Birr last year. It’s a group where Offaly belong, whether we like it or not.

On the other hand, Aughrim is the only really long road trip, with Kerry and Down at home. Thankfully.

Offaly will be better off without spectators groaning at every error, gasping in horror at a short puckout and roaring at them to drive it. (Because that’s what we did in the 1900s, fadó fadó before we had mobile phones and the internet and microwave ovens and remote controls for the telly.) The 'behind closed doors' element takes that bit of pressure off them.

There should be a certain freshness after a long layoff. And you’d like Offaly to take charge of games, dictate the pace, dominate possession, support each other and use the ball well. They failed to beat Down in Newry, not because they tried to use the ball well, but rather because they didn’t take their chances (scored 18 from 40 during normal time, if memory serves).

I’ve no problem with the championship structure. Three games, get in, win it, get out. Offaly will have to beat Sligo, probably Derry and one of Roscommon or Wicklow. There’s no need for a round robin and doing a tour of Ireland and all that entails. Derry will be the stiffest task and you’d hope they won’t have to travel to county Derry.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

A good point about no fans, but I dont know, if its down to no pressure from fans at a game to take pressure off, I dont know..Derry and Wicklow I think will ask questions of Offaly, we should get over them but of course that cannot be guaranteed either..from memory I think Offalys game V Derry last year was close at one stage but Derry missed alot of chances and then Offaly pulled away - unconvincingly but some will say that doesnt matter as long as we win, I think it does matter for confidence etc. that a win is a win but a steady solid performance is important too as part of the win to boost confidence..winning with a raggled taggled display wont breed too much confidence..interesting to see what our starting 15 will be..it would be nice to see some of the new players get a gig and make an impression..Cillian Kiely a huge loss but look, its an opoprtunity for someone else now to step upto the plate, Cillian gave 100% every game, and hopefully he will be back after his break...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It will be a tough league campaign, all games will be hard, Offaly will have to impose themselves on the opposition. The 2 home games, and away to Carlow are the standout games.
The Christy Ring games look to be easier on paper, if Offaly beat Sligo they qualify for the semi final. The other semi finalists will be the 2 winners of the other group, and the winners of a play off, involving the bottom teams in each group.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

SearingDrive wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:41 pm It will be a tough league campaign, all games will be hard, Offaly will have to impose themselves on the opposition. The 2 home games, and away to Carlow are the standout games.
The Christy Ring games look to be easier on paper, if Offaly beat Sligo they qualify for the semi final. The other semi finalists will be the 2 winners of the other group, and the winners of a play off, involving the bottom teams in each group.
Agree, no prisoners. It’s always hard to climb out of a ditch. Good luck to all involved.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

frankthetank
All Star

Post by frankthetank »

Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm Conor Clancy back in a good move I think..interesting to see if he makes the 1st 15....
Disagree. Doesnt have the temperament for IC goalkeeper. Liable to do absolutely crazy things in the goals

The 2 best keepers in the county are still James Dempsey and Breeder Mullins so Offaly’s number 1 will be technically our 3rd choice keeper.

Sur lookit
Senior

Post by Sur lookit »

Harsh comments on Conor Clancy.
I think Dempseys retired and so has Breeder, so they are irrelevant to any discussion.

Clancy did what Sean Cavanagh did v KK, (maybe a little more violent!), but did what he had to for the team, and I havnt seen a lot more to say he doesnt have temperament.

In my opinion, Eoin Cahill is the best keeper in the county but is hurling outfield

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

to be fair to Clancy this is (I think) his first time in squad and with a chance of getting a start..while he may be capable of doing anything as the poster says, he is also very capable of stopping goals, has the courage of a lion and has proved that with Rynaghs..exactly, little point saying Brian Mullins and Dempsey are best keepers in county if they are retired (was there talk Dempsey was coming back??) Let Clancy have his stint in goals, and see how he goes (if he gets to start that is)..you are only as good as what defence is before you and Brian Mullins found out that the day against Kilkenny when he litteraly lost the will to live as goal after goal went in..I felt sorry for him that day..Clancy is a bit older now involved with schools and from I hear is well liked and I heard him talking to the Rynaghs team a few times and I will give him one thing, they respect him as captain (not sure if he still is now) but he definitely deserves a chance on his performances for Rynaghs over the last few years...

Tmacmahon
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Tmacmahon »

no excuses his year, win the christy ring and start thehealing process

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

frankthetank wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:22 pm
Fairplayalways wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm Conor Clancy back in a good move I think..interesting to see if he makes the 1st 15....
Disagree. Doesnt have the temperament for IC goalkeeper. Liable to do absolutely crazy things in the goals

The 2 best keepers in the county are still James Dempsey and Breeder Mullins so Offaly’s number 1 will be technically our 3rd choice keeper.
abit harsh on conor clancy the lad hasn’t played yet. as for Dempsey and Breeder mullins James Dempsey was only sub keeper last year in the christy ring played in the league and the keogh cup win over Antrim. as for Mullins must be going on 42 now .

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

Given his name is Brian Mullins I was thinking he must be early 40s now..I checked there he is 42 this year sometime...still an excellent keeper but given how laid back he was when he was with Offaly he is hardly going to commit to county at this stage...he was a super keeper in fairness for Birr and Offaly...he seems to be around for ever...all that lax training attitude wouldn't be tolerated now and what's more players would be found out easily in a match...those days are long gone...

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Will Offaly beat Meath in league this Sunday? It will be a stern test for Offaly.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

I am basing this on nothing I know, but I think we will beat Meath, we have to really putting it simply. They have our number more or less I know from previous years. We dont know the Offaly team yet and it will be interesting to see it, I hope it is a bit different from last year...would love to see Eoghan Cahill up in forwards where he is skilled enough to be..I just think he ful fills midfield roll but thats all..I would like to see a work horse in MF (if we have such a thing)..I wouldnt be fully upto speed with the abilities and prowess of some of the newer panel members but would like to see something a little different..we are without Cillian Kiely and few more but I suppose his absence will see the difference in ways I seek above..Offaly by 3/4 but I wont be putting my house on it..lets say if we lose I wont be surprised either..but we have to get out of the traps here..

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Yes, hard to predict what will happen and what shape the teams will be in coming out of this long competitive layoff.

Hoping for a happy return to the field for the players and all concerned.

Let's go git 'em boys!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

BiffoInThurso
Intermediate
Club: St Rynaghs

Post by BiffoInThurso »

Is it being broadcast on d’internet or just the radio?