Offaly Hurling 2021

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling 2021

Post by bracknaghboy »

This nonsense that the game has somehow organically "evolved" into it's current state.
It hasn't. It has been hijacked by a bunch of professionals who have systematically destroyed the game to line their own pockets.
Name me one other sport in the world that has changed so dramatically in the space of 10 years?
Gaelic football looks in a healthy state compared to the scutter being served up on the intercounty hurling pitches.

Oh if you want to be entertained go away and do X but don't be watching a hurling match. More nonsense.
Yes, shock horror I do actually want to be entertained when I go to or watch a hurling match......Imagine that!!!!
It should be the other way around.....if you want to fetishise about stats then go do X but don't be interfering with hurling.

POTH and BNM man it must have been absolute torture for ye boys watching hurling in the 90's and 00's. How they you survive all that unscripted play, ground hurling, aerial hurling, loads of mistakes, goalmouth action....oh the horror of it all and not a clipboard to be seen.

Lads are quick to sneer at ground hurling and overhead stuff but the truth is we have nothing today to admire or be entertained by.....all we have is 30 wrestlers literally THROWING the ball around to one another. But hey thats "progress" for ya.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I feel like the farmer who's installed an electric milking machine after a lifetime milking by hand.
bracknaghboy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 pm POTH and BNM man it must have been absolute torture for ye boys watching hurling in the 90's and 00's. How they you survive all that unscripted play, ground hurling, aerial hurling, loads of mistakes, goalmouth action....oh the horror of it all and not a clipboard to be seen.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

bracknaghboy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 pm POTH and BNM man it must have been absolute torture for ye boys watching hurling in the 90's and 00's. How they you survive all that unscripted play, ground hurling, aerial hurling, loads of mistakes, goalmouth action....oh the horror of it all and not a clipboard to be seen.
It was grand back then, don't expect it to work nowadays though.

Fairplayalways
All Star

Post by Fairplayalways »

no doubting all the changes in society and life hightlighte above..hurling is the same unfortunately..doesnt mean its a bettter game or more entertaining..sport is to be enjoyable and entertaining..comparing changes in life how things are done (for the better in some cases) is not comparing like with like..if thats the case why not put hurling on the Xbox or PS4 or 5 or wherever it is heading with its structures and statistics and save us the bother of going to matches at all maybe...its not entertaining any more...in the main that is..I hear it is changed and changing but that doesnt mean its for the better and might make it worse..not better...

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

Another good win. Win probably be promoted in both league and championship in 2021.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Listened on the radio. Very encouraging. Beating teams well that we have struggled against and been beaten by in last 3 or 4 years. Seems to have great team spirit and work ethic about them this year whatever is going on. Are they putting something in the water. Need to go and get revenge on Down now for last year and finish the job. They beat Carlow so will no be a pushover. Well done to players and management.
jimbob

oneshot
County player

Post by oneshot »

another big win and well done to all . people question earlier on what grounds would we beat carlow well today you got the Answer. offalys club hurling is as good or better than whats in carlow wicklow meath and kerry, what was missing from offaly over the last few years was belive and efford from the panel and abit of pride put back into the jersey.

finished the job next weekend again Down in birr and we are back in division 1 . 👍👍

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Looking at table, next day is a bigger one than I thought. Down are 2nd so it is a top of table clash. It is conceivable that if Down win, they might lead us on head to head if two teams level on top. They hammered Wicklow today, beat Carlow and beat us last year. I am just wary that we need to not take anything for granted. We will beat Wicklow but lads need to realise that promotion is far from over until Down are put to the sword.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

jimbob17 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:51 pm I am just wary that we need to not take anything for granted.
Preaching to the choir here. Would be shameful for us to take ANY team for granted. Taking things for granted is what got us where we are.

That said, delighted for all involved given the latest string of results. May it continue through the summer. Winning lifts the spirits.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

private joker
All Star

Post by private joker »

oneshot wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:47 pm another big win and well done to all . people question earlier on what grounds would we beat carlow well today you got the Answer. offalys club hurling is as good or better than whats in carlow wicklow meath and kerry, what was missing from offaly over the last few years was belive and efford from the panel and abit of pride put back into the jersey.

finished the job next weekend again Down in birr and we are back in division 1 . 👍👍
There was no grounds to expect offaly to beat carlow. You have to go on current form. Offaly form right now is excellent. They should win both competitions and be at joe mcdonagh level which is the level they are fit for right now.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

Another good win, we have struggled in Dr. Cullen park for a number of years and have played second fiddle to Carlow who have been ahead of us for the past while.
The Down game is the big one now and all the lads can do is apply the same attitude that they have done so far this year and the good run will continue.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Found this just before.

https://scoreline.ie/listen-back-carlow ... -23-05-21/

If it’s common knowledge, then just ignore. Was unable to listen in due to other commitments.

Found it handy.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

bracknaghboy wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 12:24 pm This nonsense that the game has somehow organically "evolved" into it's current state.
It hasn't. It has been hijacked by a bunch of professionals who have systematically destroyed the game to line their own pockets.
Name me one other sport in the world that has changed so dramatically in the space of 10 years?
Gaelic football looks in a healthy state compared to the scutter being served up on the intercounty hurling pitches.

Oh if you want to be entertained go away and do X but don't be watching a hurling match. More nonsense.
Yes, shock horror I do actually want to be entertained when I go to or watch a hurling match......Imagine that!!!!
It should be the other way around.....if you want to fetishise about stats then go do X but don't be interfering with hurling.

POTH and BNM man it must have been absolute torture for ye boys watching hurling in the 90's and 00's. How they you survive all that unscripted play, ground hurling, aerial hurling, loads of mistakes, goalmouth action....oh the horror of it all and not a clipboard to be seen.

Lads are quick to sneer at ground hurling and overhead stuff but the truth is we have nothing today to admire or be entertained by.....all we have is 30 wrestlers literally THROWING the ball around to one another. But hey thats "progress" for ya.
Thats pure head in the sand stuff. Adapt or die.
The game changes, always had.
Im not old enough to remember Wexford innovating by high fielding. I'm sure lads bemoaned the lack of overhead pulling but i bet you no one in Wexford cared a jot when they walked up the steps of the hogan stand.

We all enjoyed the success of the 80s and 90s but just hurling off the cuff won't do now as your opponents will dominate the possession and therefore will emerge on top. Theres nothing more id love to see again.

I agree that the entertainment of watching players compete to win their own ball etc is missing but try playing that game now and you will take a hiding. The only responsibility that county managers have is to get results, the aesthetics are secondary.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

KeshaWantsTimber
Intermediate

Post by KeshaWantsTimber »

Fairplayalways wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:23 pm every thing you state above I concur with 100%..the game is destroyed by all the things you mention..the problem is people will say "thats the way the game is gone now" and I suppose you have to say that is the case...no lesser than Brian Cody sprang to my mind when you were listing out about the turnovers, losing possession and all that all mullarkey above...Brian Cody said one time you can prepare all you want for a match, but when you go out on the field and it is 15 V 15 and to win the match your team has to win the majority of the man to man battles..and thats a very simple logic..to bolster his view, I have never ever heard Brian Cody metion posession stats, turnovers, rucks or any of this rugby speak, the interviewer might say it to him in question format but he never menitions such things in his reply..its always "they wanted the game abit more than us" or "our lads were very hurt by the defeat last year to such and such and were out to right that today"...and thats how hurling was and should be played...its over constructed now...and I think the lack of crowds have really shone a light on how bland most games are now...great points above..not all will agree...
You must also note that Kilkenny, despite having the deepest hurling culture (ie. the game is most widely played in clubs and to a high level) in the country, have not won an All-Ireland since 2015. They too have tried to adapt but you get the feeling that they don't really believe in the new type of game and are caught between two stools. They play some short puckout but sometimes you see those players with possession isolated and teammates standing expecting the defender to launch the ball instead moving in support. They haven't fully bought in and my guess is that Cody isn't convinced either. He is doing it but he'd rather not. It also happens that he doesn't have forwards equipped to win long deliveries like teams of 00's and early 10's. Which came first though the chicken or the egg?

Your reference to Cody's interview phrases is telling too. Those phrases mean nothing and are merely empty words. Not sure how anybody could yearn for those type of interviews. If this is the level of analysis that KK partake in (and I highly doubt it ever was) I'd be worried for their future.

It is certainly an interesting period for hurling and I dont see KK winning an All-Ireland for another 5 years at least.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

KeshaWantsTimber wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:46 am Your reference to Cody's interview phrases is telling too. Those phrases mean nothing and are merely empty words. Not sure how anybody could yearn for those type of interviews. If this is the level of analysis that KK partake in (and I highly doubt it ever was) I'd be worried for their future.
Correct, like ffs, when he says he expects a tough game from Offaly and he has huge respect for Offaly hurling, it should give a hint as to the disconnect between what he says and the reality.

Unfortunately a few lads in Offaly have hung their hats on his ráiméis about hurling being a simple game, fifteen versus fifteen, all on the day, break of a ball etc. as a means to shoot down any suggestion that more sophisticated preparation and analysis may be required.